Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
BreakingBad
i am the one who knocks

Drives: '12 2LT/RS
New Build - front/rear stage, and subs.

So I've been in the stereo/system 'hobby' for almost a decade at this point. I haven't really invested much money in speakers as I have subwoofers, and I am seeking to change that. I recently sold my 05 TrailBlazer that had an RE XXX 18 in it for my new Camaro. I love bass, it adds depth to music and is an absolute necessity for me. I have another thread about subs as I was debating, but not many people apparently run Fi or RE in their camaros...lots of JL Audio fans, not downing that brand by any means but Fi and RE will consistently beat JL Audio in most SPL/SQL comp's given all conditions are the same (wattage, sub size, impedance, box size, vehicle, etc.)

I'm probably going to go with this head unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lOUPJGc...H-P9400BH.html

New Car:

Old System:

So, you see where I'm coming from!

My goal: Loud, Clear, Crisp system that will sound good no matter what type of music is played. If it's ambient-type music like Atticus Ross I want it to be so loud and clear you can hear every instrument, but at the same time if I switch to some jeezy or 50 I want to be able to hit the lows with ease. Midbass is very important to me, so speakers lacking decent midbass will not be considered (doors and trunk will be sound-deadened)

Front Stage: I keep hearing Hertz. Hertz this, Hertz that - particularly the HSK165's/XL. This is in my price range, but I'm not sure if there is something from FOCAL that would compare to these as well (6.5 components). Recommendations welcome, better if you've heard them/have them.

Rear Stage: 6x9's. I have absolutely no idea where to begin, but I would like to match the front stage with the rear stage brand-wise.

Subs: Looking to go with 2 12's, probably sealed (yeah, loss in SPL but sound quality also usually goes up)

2 Fi BL's
or
2 RE SE-X's (or similar)

These brands have consistently good reviews, and on WoofersETC the prices on the RE models have dropped since 07 (thank god!) If you have any experience with the Fi BL's (12's) or the new RE series (like the SEX model line or something similar), chime in. Keep in mind I ran an XXX 18" for 4 years.

Price-wise, I'm not spending 2 grand on 1 set of speakers. I'd like to keep the cost under $1000 for both front and rear stage, with more $$ being spent on the front stage.

So, let's see your recommendations!
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
LandonB

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
I'd do 1 of the Fi BL's in a ported box and the HSK165's sound great. I'd put those in the front and rear stage.
LandonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
I will say that I've heard very good things about the Hertz speakers, but have never heard them and it's one brand that I don't have access to locally. I own Focal speakers, and have heard about everything they have to offer. With the budget you have in mind, check out the Focal Performance Series. Great clarity and a very dynamic speaker!

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rCHVc111/App//Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|108BASSLIN&compareI tems=01|136PWM1102&compareItems=01|136WM1122&g=510 00

If you have a place locally that can offer you a demo of both speakers (Hertz and Focal), go check them out!
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
OP, hope you don't mind. I embedded the youtube videos for you.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
The reason FI or RE will out perform a JL sub in SPL is because thats what they were designed for, As far as SQ your out of your mind!!!!! Ive been into car audio for almost 20 years and have used top of the line FI, and JL. Ive had a fully loaded BTL in my Explorer, and Have used W7's in several vehicles.
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
The reason FI or RE will out perform a JL sub in SPL is because thats what they were designed for, As far as SQ your out of your mind!!!!!
I agree.

OP, I would take a look at Hybrid for your interior speakers as well. They're fantastic speakers.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
BreakingBad
i am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
The reason FI or RE will out perform a JL sub in SPL is because thats what they were designed for, As far as SQ your out of your mind!!!!! Ive been into car audio for almost 20 years and have used top of the line FI, and JL. Ive had a fully loaded BTL in my Explorer, and Have used W7's in several vehicles.
I can't speak personally about Fi, but I have owned multiple models from RE and yes, there is a reason the term 'SQL' came into existence as RE hits that mark - their XXX series is a monster SPL wise, and sounds amazing. I had the 18" XXX in a sealed 5.25cu ft enclosure and was hitting over 145db AND the bass was so clean, tight and responsive I had multiple installers compliment me on it. I've heard JL, they sound great, but RE beats JL as far as sound quality goes IMHO. I'm not talking about the SPL line of subs like the MT or the BTL. Agree to disagree

At any rate, no places near me except 1 place I never heard of carry Hertz/Focal, so I'll probably be ordering online without actually hearing them first which is why I span across multiple forums getting input, watching videos, reading reviews, etc. Almost any product I've done that with hasn't disappointed me, and compared to my last set of speakers (which were a low-line Hertz model) that i spent about $150 on, anything will be an improvement at this point.
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
CrutchfieldBrooke

Totally understand that. If it werent for working where I do for over 6 years now, I'd have a very hard time being able to get my hands on equipment to demo it as well. The Hertz speakers seem to be a good from everything I've heard, but I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the Focals I mentioned either. Good luck with your system!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
In our display board at our shop we have a pair of Hertz HSK165s and a pair of Focal Polyglass VRs and I have the same amp on both and i've faded them back and forth a few times and they both sound excellent. I can hear a difference in them, but not in a negative way owards either of them. The Hertz sound more "bright" and the Focals sound more "full"............idk how to put it in words. I will say the Hertz are more power hungry, I wouldnt run anything less than 150wrms to them, but the Focals begin to sound optimum at 100wrms. I love them both.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
CrutchfieldBrooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
In our display board at our shop we have a pair of Hertz HSK165s and a pair of Focal Polyglass VRs and I have the same amp on both and i've faded them back and forth a few times and they both sound excellent. I can hear a difference in them, but not in a negative way owards either of them. The Hertz sound more "bright" and the Focals sound more "full"............idk how to put it in words. I will say the Hertz are more power hungry, I wouldnt run anything less than 150wrms to them, but the Focals begin to sound optimum at 100wrms. I love them both.
That's a very helpful comparison for someone considering both of those speakers.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
BreakingBad
i am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
OP, hope you don't mind. I embedded the youtube videos for you.
No problem. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I agree.

OP, I would take a look at Hybrid for your interior speakers as well. They're fantastic speakers.
I'll check these out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchfieldBrooke View Post
Totally understand that. If it werent for working where I do for over 6 years now, I'd have a very hard time being able to get my hands on equipment to demo it as well. The Hertz speakers seem to be a good from everything I've heard, but I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the Focals I mentioned either. Good luck with your system!
Both Focal and Hertz get consistently good reviews, but only when you spend some cash. Speakers $1-200 are generally cheaply made and don't perform regardless of brand. YES they sound better than stock obviously, even Bose stock, but not where an audiophile wants to be.

I did come across another brand called "Image Dynamics". Youtube it, there's a video with one guy in some normal looking car blasting gucci mane, and my god those speakers are screaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
The only analogy my mind can produce at the moment is...it's like choosing between sex and better sex. When faced with the option, I mean yeah I'll take the better sex just like anyone would, but finding it is difficult...but either way, sex is sex, everyone is happy in the end! LOL that's basically speakers over the $400 mark. a $500 set of hertz vs a $500 set of focals are going to be really, really hard to discern what is better overall factoring in car audio dynamics, sound waves, tweeter placement, etc.

I'm going to have to just take a shot at it and hope I get good stuff...Image Dynamics as a company right now is bad, apparently the ownership recently changed and the new owner of the company is a complete dick whereas the previous owner would fix stuff, help you, etc. They stress though the speakers are NICE.

This is sadly the most important decision I've probably ever made...because I am going for top-notch sound quality w/complete deadening of the doors, trunk area, etc. Good speakers with SQ subs in a sealed box will provide an awesome stage to list to just about anything. I also am going to see what it would be to have a remote gain ran to near driver seat so i can adjust gain when i want to switch genres..

Here's to hoping I make a good decision! LOL I have a good bit of time, i'm going to grab a head unit first which will unfortunately run me $4-500 to get installed by my shop i use, primarily bc the HU is expensive itself, I need a GM adapter which apparently retails for like $400 or some shit, then install will be $50-75...I could do it myself but I've been going here for years, I trust them and dude is real upfront and honest and they do good work...going to have them deaden the doors and install the front stage at the same time, then i will have the rear 6x9's done at the same time subs are w/deadening...so basically a 3 step process to gradually improve my car's sound exponentially each time

question....WHERE do people mount the amps in their camaro's? on the back of the sub box or elsewhere?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
CrutchfieldBrooke

BreakingBad, I like your input on the speakers and although you a right that a ton of speakers will give you great sound quality beyond a certain price point, I will add that they still have different tonal qualities that one person may prefer over the other with different brands.

You did give me a good laugh this morning with your analogy. Good one.

As far as the amp location, some people mount to the sub enclosure itself, but I have seen a lot of other locations used for the amp as well. Of course a smaller amp like the JL Audio HD series or Alpine PDX series are even easier to hide or find a location for. Look around on here, there are plenty of pics that will give you ideas where others have custom mounted their amps that will be helpful.

Good luck with your system!
Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
DraggnFrameGMC

Breakingbad, pm me your number so I can call you. I've got something for you.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
BreakingBad
i am the one who knocks

Is there a minimum post count you need to get PM's? I can't seem to PM anyone, only leave a visitor message
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Griffintile

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS L99 convertible
The pdx series amp along with the subthump amp rack will mount in factory amp spot. I went with the 5 channel alpine pdx (100x4+500x1 at four or two ohms), very nice amp for the price. I went with the subthump stealth box so, I could not stack two of them because of box. The oversized 10" convertible stealth box made it a tight fit, I could only use two screws, and had to offset the amp a little, but with a different box you would have no problems with one maybe two of theses bad boys.
Griffintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #16
DraggnFrameGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
Is there a minimum post count you need to get PM's? I can't seem to PM anyone, only leave a visitor message
email it to me draggnframegmc@yahoo.com
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
truckstoy

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T Classic
even the entry level Focal's sound amazing! you won't be disappointed !
truckstoy is offline   Reply With Quote