Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Questions about Adams Quick Sealant

2 weeks ago I put on a fresh coat of machine sealant, glaze, and finished off with Americana. This past week has been terrible here in Orlando, tons of rain but everything held up great on the car.

Anyway I recently purchased some quick sealant and used it for the 1st time today. Very simple to apply, did the whole car in about a half an hour. It was a nice quick way to add a level of protection and touch up the shine.

So on to my questions:

1- should I or do I need to apply another coat of Americana and or glaze?

2- how often should I apply a coat of quick sealant?

3- any other advice when using quick sealant?

Sent from my 2LT/RS using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
NYFan, Did you strip your old coat of Americana, glaze & Machine Sealant before using the Quick Sealant or just go over those coats from a couple weeks ago?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
NYFan, Did you strip your old coat of Americana, glaze & Machine Sealant before using the Quick Sealant or just go over those coats from a couple weeks ago?
Just went over.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
shooters

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer Package
Are you supposed to strip the wax and polish off?
shooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooters View Post
Are you supposed to strip the wax and polish off?
I don't think so, did not read that anywhere, nor was it mentioned on the video from Adams.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
ga0358

Drives: 2010 ABM LS
Old 06-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Anytime you're working with a sealant its going to get you the best results/longest durability if applied directly to the paint.

Order of application is always (ideally)
  1. SEALANT
  2. GLAZE
  3. WAX

You can go any combination, any one, or all 3, but the order of application should stay the same no matter what.

That being said, theres nothing wrong with what you did, but the durability of the sealant will be compromised by the wax underneath to a degree so you won't see it last as long as it would had it been applied to bare paint. A lot of guys actually use quick sealant on their front ends, leading edges of the hood, mirrors, etc just before a road trip to make the bugs easier to remove. They don't need it to last as long as possible, just to last thru the road trip.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Anytime you're working with a sealant its going to get you the best results/longest durability if applied directly to the paint.

Order of application is always (ideally)
  1. SEALANT
  2. GLAZE
  3. WAX

You can go any combination, any one, or all 3, but the order of application should stay the same no matter what.

That being said, theres nothing wrong with what you did, but the durability of the sealant will be compromised by the wax underneath to a degree so you won't see it last as long as it would had it been applied to bare paint. A lot of guys actually use quick sealant on their front ends, leading edges of the hood, mirrors, etc just before a road trip to make the bugs easier to remove. They don't need it to last as long as possible, just to last thru the road trip.
Thanks Dylan. So is the original sealant and / or wax compromised in any way by adding just the quick sealant? I could throw another coat of Americana on but if just the quick sealant will lose a bit of its life I'm really to worried.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Not at all... think of each step as a layer in cake. Each one simply sits on top of the previous, the only difference being that sealants work best when directly applied to the paint so they 'bond'.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Not at all... think of each step as a layer in cake. Each one simply sits on top of the previous, the only difference being that sealants work best when directly applied to the paint so they 'bond'.
Got it, Thanks as always!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
shooters

Dylan, if it's best to apply to bare paint, what do you use to strip it back down?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Dylan, if it's best to apply to bare paint, what do you use to strip it back down?
I've always used dawn although there are shampoos specifically designed for this.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
shooters

So just Dawn and hot water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I've always used dawn although there are shampoos specifically designed for this.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Adam's Polishes

There are a number of ways to strip the existing wax from the finish.

The easiest is while washing. You can add a couple of oz's of APC to your car wash mixture to create a nice foaming 'strip wash'. Generally since your detail will start with a wash anyways this is an easy way to take care of it as part of a process you were going to do anyways. You can also use original (blue) dawn dish soap for this purpose. I just prefer the Car Wash + APC method b/c it foams up better and gives me control over how aggressive or mild I make the mixture.

The other method is to use isopropyl alcohol if youre starting with an already clean car. Simply spray with a diluted mixture of IPA and water, wipe with a microfiber towel. This approach is usually best for times when you're only going to be working on a specific area of the car, not the whole thing, since it allows you to strip one area at a time.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
shooters

Pardon the ignorance, but "APC?"

Quote:
There are a number of ways to strip the existing wax from the finish.

The easiest is while washing. You can add a couple of oz's of APC to your car wash mixture to create a nice foaming 'strip wash'. Generally since your detail will start with a wash anyways this is an easy way to take care of it as part of a process you were going to do anyways. You can also use original (blue) dawn dish soap for this purpose. I just prefer the Car Wash + APC method b/c it foams up better and gives me control over how aggressive or mild I make the mixture.

The other method is to use isopropyl alcohol if youre starting with an already clean car. Simply spray with a diluted mixture of IPA and water, wipe with a microfiber towel. This approach is usually best for times when you're only going to be working on a specific area of the car, not the whole thing, since it allows you to strip one area at a time.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Pardon the ignorance, but "APC?"
All Purpose Cleaner.

Interesting, I never knew to do this with APC.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
shooters

Oh ok. Thanks man

Quote:
All Purpose Cleaner.

Interesting, I never knew to do this with APC.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

So I figured some it easy enough to do, let's do another round of glaze and American! Love this stuff.

Here are some pics to show it did happen:

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-14-2012 at 11:58 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]

Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Dylan,

How useful (in terms of paint protection) would it be to apply the quick sealant after applying machine super sealant, and don't use the waxes like buttery or Americana at all?

I tend to use a quick sealant more often for paint protection than I do waxes. Of course, this is after a machine super sealant. However, since there is no wax underneath my layers of quick sealant, I would assume it can last quite a long time, and possibly longer than buttery or Americana (even though it may not shine as much as the waxes). What's your thoughts?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
Adam's Polishes

2 coats of sealant will give you more protection... I generally don't mix them, except for to use QS on the front end more frequently since its faster to apply than MSS, but theres no reason you can't if you want to give it a go.

Like I always say, part of the fun of detailing is that once you understand the basic concepts it allows you to play 'mad scientist' a little and play with combos to see what you like best.

Give it a shot and report your findings here on the forum! If you don't like it, its not permanent so its easy enough to strip it down and try another combo later if you choose.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
TCAT

Thanks Dylan. I really appreciate the advice. I'll definitely report back with the findings. I'm sure I'll love it. Also, one quick question.....can I ever over load the amount of quick sealant, as in use to much to often, and what would that do? I would assume it would just replace or lay on top of previous layer. Then again, there may be a limit of when it be applied to much.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Thanks Dylan. I really appreciate the advice. I'll definitely report back with the findings. I'm sure I'll love it. Also, one quick question.....can I ever over load the amount of quick sealant, as in use to much to often, and what would that do? I would assume it would just replace or lay on top of previous layer. Then again, there may be a limit of when it be applied to much.
I'd like to say that on a dark car (may be different on your white)I've found the shine to not be as deep until a coat of wax is applied. The Americana really adds to the shine!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
I'd like to say that on a dark car (may be different on your white)I've found the shine to not be as deep until a coat of wax is applied. The Americana really adds to the shine!
Thats a pretty typical observation...

Generally speaking, natural waxes are more susceptible to heat and detergents, but the trade off is that you get a more deep, rich, shine out of them.

Sealants on the other hand are much more resistant to heat and detergent failure, but they lack that depth. Instead you get a more bright/reflective shine.

Given those characteristics waxes make big enhancements to darker colors, especially black. I tend to think sealants play very well to the strengths of colors like silver and white.

As a matter of fact my entire prep job on my new truck (Silver Ice Metallic) was completed with a variety of sealants. I have some panels treated with a wax I'm testing at the moment, but overall I like how the silver flake pops with the sealant over it.

In the end its like I said, the fun of it is playing with combos to find the ones you like best and balance your want/needs for protection, shine, gloss, etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
TCAT

Quote:
Thats a pretty typical observation...

Generally speaking, natural waxes are more susceptible to heat and detergents, but the trade off is that you get a more deep, rich, shine out of them.

Sealants on the other hand are much more resistant to heat and detergent failure, but they lack that depth. Instead you get a more bright/reflective shine.

Given those characteristics waxes make big enhancements to darker colors, especially black. I tend to think sealants play very well to the strengths of colors like silver and white.

As a matter of fact my entire prep job on my new truck (Silver Ice Metallic) was completed with a variety of sealants. I have some panels treated with a wax I'm testing at the moment, but overall I like how the silver flake pops with the sealant over it.

In the end its like I said, the fun of it is playing with combos to find the ones you like best and balance your want/needs for protection, shine, gloss, etc.
I agree. The more natural waxes gives a great glossy wet look, and the sealants have a different shine and pop to it. I like the durability of the sealants best, and since my car isn't daily driven any longer, a sealant every now and then after I wash the car does a great job, especially for a spray. When I absolutely want a wet look, I may tend to add a natural wax, but that's usually for car shows. It seems that the natural waxes on very light colored cars don't show a much appearance difference between the sealant or natural wax. I literally just had the package deliverer deliver my custom Adams Porter Cable order. Time to play scientist! Ha-ha. I like the way you think.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
TCAT

Quote:
I agree, the wax definitely adds a fantastic element of gloss and shine in comparison to a sealant, but it isn't prominent on the light colored cars from what I've seen. Your car looks fantastic by the way.