Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
Post Metra 99-3010S install

Just in case anyone else is doing the install of this kit on their car, you might find the following interesting/usefull....

This is a letter I just sent off last night to Metra themselves:

Hi, just purchased your kit for my 11 Camaro.
Read the included manual (rev 2/9/11), then checked your site for any updates to it ( found rev 5/23/12).

In the later revision, a large number of wires are simply not called out! Just the power and speaker wires.

There's a definite flaw in the labeling of the actual harness I received.
- The green wire in my harness is labeled "left rear positive (lb+)". This should be (I hope) the ground output from the park brake to the decks screen enable input.
- The blue/pink wire is mentioned, but totally unlabeled.
- The green/purple wire is also mentioned, but totally unlabeled. And isn't pink the standard for that?

These are all on the 20 pin harness.

There is no mention of the relay in the harness between the OE and 22 pin connector nor it's use.

No mention of the 8 pin, nor the (mini din?) connector on the axxess box.

Wow.

That's all I've found so far. But that's WAY too much! I've come to expect more from you guys. I paid top dollar for this kit, should I have expected nothing less than close to perfection??

I'd really like to hear from someone on this. Soon. I've been building this up on my bench luckily, and not inside a dismantled car.
-------------

Didn't hear back from them, so I finally called the help line. Got some very condescending guy on the phone (with a stereo blasting in the background so loud it was drowning him out!) who pretty much just said "yeah, that's the way it is". And that the relay is there to provide an audible "click" when the blinkers are on. And to ignore the unused port(s) on the Axxess box.

If they knew it was wrong - they sure could have saved a LOT of my time, and no doubt others time, etc if they simply updated the online docs to reflect this stuff! As it stands, there's almost more info in the OLD docs that are included with the kit. They're both (new & old) wrong mind you.

Should be interesting to see what response I get from the email now (if any!). If I do get some feedback, I'll post it in this thread.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.

Last edited by Black-Out; 06-17-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Interesting... I just had mine installed. Although I didnt install it myself. Had an audio shop do it. But everything works exceptionally well...
Must say that after reading through some previous threads about nightmare installs, Im glad I paid the money to have it done professionally...
Not very good for the company image reading through stuff like this though
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
Install is easy money not hard at all. Should of did it yourself and saved some coin
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Griffintile

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS L99 convertible
My metra kit is coming in today, going to do the install tonight. I have studied the instructions, and thought it was pretty straightforward. If you get a response that is helpful, please post it up. Thanks for the warning, on the potential problems. Also it seems like customer service people today forget their job, serving the customer.
Griffintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Black-Out

Don't get me wrong... The kit itself isn't THAT bad. It's more the documentation errors, and the mislabeled wiring.

Just glad I did the bulk of it on the bench and not in the car.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Well, I also had a rear view camera, the stereo, the sat radio, etc... To me it was money well spent to have pro install
Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Black-Out

Minor follow up..

Did the actual install yesterday (took way longer than it normally would, as I can barely breath through this bronchitis). Started to remove the console per the Metra manual. After taking the sides, rear, gauge pod, and shifter surround off, I thought... What am I doing? It looked like the stereo would come right out at that point.

A few videos I'd seen showed people with screwdrivers (!?!) and various prying tools getting the display panel off. Didn't like the idea of possibly marring the dash. Found that after removing the two 7mm screws at the bottom, you can simply grab the two pods, thumbs on top, fingers underneath (pretend your grabbing a set of boobs! ) and pulling towards yourself (note: do not do this with real boobs!!). Pops right off.

There was lots of room beside and above the deck for stuffing wires, interfaces, etc. Metra said to cut out the area behind the deck, but thought I'd try it not doing it. Yeah, it did fit, but it was a press fit. Now I'm worried about killing my decks connectors on the back, so I think I'll pull it back out and cut it out. Probably get better ventilation anyhow. Oh yeah, and fishing wires would be easier too.

The relay in the harness is now the sound for the blinkers. Not as modern as before. Not impressed. Going to look for a substitute.

Fit of the panel is pretty good. Not flawless, but... Pretty good.

Make SURE you get the steering wheel controls sorted/programmed before you finish the install or you'll be pulling the deck again to get to the interface.

If you're doing a backup camera, remember to hang a switched power and ground wire off your harness for it before you button everything up.

The Metra panel will go back in with the console installed, but you do have to push down a little bit at the front of the console to get the lip to clear.

I found the gauge pod a little awkward to get back in, since the Metra panel is a touch fatter at the bottom. Mind you I was getting pretty winded and ready to pass out at this point (see first paragraph!).

Can't think of anything else right now. Any questions, ask away.