Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Base 6-speaker locations?

What is the location/count of the basic 6-speaker setup on the Camaro LS/1LT/1SS?

Are all of those speakers replaced with different Boston Acoustics speakers when upgrading to the premium sound, or are some of the speakers in the base sound system still included?

Who designed the speakers in the base sound package?

I am having a hard time finding out if the speakers are shared across the two packages, or if the 9-speaker setup has an entirely different lineup.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Blue10CamaroSS
454 RWHP 448 TQ

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
6 speaker set up in the base system is as goes, i believe:
drivers door 6.5"
drivers door tweeter
passenger door 6.5"
passenger door tweeter
driver side rear deck 6x9"
passenger side rear deck 6x9"

The 9 speaker Boston Accoustic system goes as is:
drivers door 6.5"
drivers door tweeter
passenger door 6.5"
passenger door tweeter
front dash center channel
driver side rear deck 6x9"
driver side rear deck 6x9" tweeter
passenger side rear deck 6x9"
passenger side rear deck 6x9" tweeter

I also believe the base system is not BA and entirely different.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Although some of the speaker locations and sizes are shared between the two systems, they are setup completely different because of the amp in the Boston system. Although I'm not sure who makes the speakers for the base system in the Camaro, those speakers aren't the same quality.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
When I go to crutchfield, and type in my car, it shows me options for 6.5's for the doors, and 6x9's for the rear deck. It doesn't list anything for the door tweeters tho. What size am I looking for to replace them? It looks like on crutchfield, many of the speakers include the tweeter .. I guess that must be pretty standard?

I have heard bad things about the BA setup, and ended up not prioritizing it when looking for my car, thus ended up with just the base setup.

I am sure I can integrate an amplifier with the stock head unit, and get a pretty decent sounding system without worrying about adding a subwoofer for now, but if I am going that direction, I want to make sure I get all the speakers matched and swapped out.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post
When I go to crutchfield, and type in my car, it shows me options for 6.5's for the doors, and 6x9's for the rear deck. It doesn't list anything for the door tweeters tho. What size am I looking for to replace them? It looks like on crutchfield, many of the speakers include the tweeter .. I guess that must be pretty standard?

I have heard bad things about the BA setup, and ended up not prioritizing it when looking for my car, thus ended up with just the base setup.

I am sure I can integrate an amplifier with the stock head unit, and get a pretty decent sounding system without worrying about adding a subwoofer for now, but if I am going that direction, I want to make sure I get all the speakers matched and swapped out.
Yes, it is standard for our system not to filter for tweeters in most cars since they don't have an exact aftermarket replacement size or mounting provisions. It doesn't mean you can't fit tweeters in the original location though, it just requires a bit of extra work to get them mounted.

If you are going to replace the tweeter, then I'd go ahead and get a component system that comes with the separate tweeter and crossover. This will give you a good sound stage up front in the car.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote