Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Do I need a separate amp to power a sub with a factory BS system?

This may be a stupid question, but I don't know much about stereo systems.

I want to add a subwoofer to my factory BA stereo system. Does the sub need a separate amp dedicated to just power the sub? Or would I need to upgrade to a larger amp to power everything? Which ever way I have to go, what kind of output from the amp will I need?

A separate question, I want a decent sub but I don't know how to tell a decent sub from a crappy one. A local stereo shop has a Sony Xplod 12" sub for like $50. For that price I'm assuming that it's crap. Can someone please give me some suggestions on the make/model of a decent sub?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
kniffin3

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
i like kenwood subs. not to expensive and not to cheap. you can get a good 12" for $120. i would look in best buys outlet at the discontinued subs. you can get a good deal on them. as for install i just go to a shop to get it done
kniffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniffin3 View Post
i like kenwood subs. not to expensive and not to cheap. you can get a good 12" for $120. i would look in best buys outlet at the discontinued subs. you can get a good deal on them. as for install i just go to a shop to get it done
Thanks I appreciate the info. Any advice about my first question?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I don't know much about stereo systems.

I want to add a subwoofer to my factory BA stereo system. Does the sub need a separate amp dedicated to just power the sub? Or would I need to upgrade to a larger amp to power everything? Which ever way I have to go, what kind of output from the amp will I need?

A separate question, I want a decent sub but I don't know how to tell a decent sub from a crappy one. A local stereo shop has a Sony Xplod 12" sub for like $50. For that price I'm assuming that it's crap. Can someone please give me some suggestions on the make/model of a decent sub?

Russ
1. You really need a separate amp for a sub. The amp will need to match the RMS of whatever sub you buy.

2. You usually get what you pay for with subs. Sometimes you get a little better than you pay for, but it's not very common with store-bought stuff.

Best bet is to give us a budget and let us find you the best deal. I really like dealing with SubThump and Sonic Electronix myself (nothing against BestBuy). You can get much better subs than Xplods.

For the best over-all improvement for the least money, I'd do a 5 channel amp (like Alpine) with a single 10" or 12" in a SubThump Stealth box. I have personal issues with Kicker, but many people rate them very well and are pleased with their performance in the Camaro for sub duty.

Let me know what I can do to help.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Wuiquen

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
I do not know why I do not see Pioneer subs too much in the forum, but I have dealt with the brand from headunits (which I personally believe are one of the best) to speakers, amps and subs, everything has been really great and of quality. Price is great. unless you pick their competition line..
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
1. You really need a separate amp for a sub. The amp will need to match the RMS of whatever sub you buy.

2. You usually get what you pay for with subs. Sometimes you get a little better than you pay for, but it's not very common with store-bought stuff.

Best bet is to give us a budget and let us find you the best deal. I really like dealing with SubThump and Sonic Electronix myself (nothing against BestBuy). You can get much better subs than Xplods.

For the best over-all improvement for the least money, I'd do a 5 channel amp (like Alpine) with a single 10" or 12" in a SubThump Stealth box. I have personal issues with Kicker, but many people rate them very well and are pleased with their performance in the Camaro for sub duty.

Let me know what I can do to help.
Great information, thanks! I bought an enclosure from Subthump so I already have an account set up with them. As far as price it's the usual, the best for the least. I would like to stay around $500 or less for a sub and an amp. Of course if that will only get me junk than I can spend more, money isn't a big issue but a middle of the road system is what I'm looking for. To be honest I don't really turn the stereo up loud to often but I would like some more bass when I do turn it up.

Russ
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Great information, thanks! I bought an enclosure from Subthump so I already have an account set up with them. As far as price it's the usual, the best for the least. I would like to stay around $500 or less for a sub and an amp. Of course if that will only get me junk than I can spend more, money isn't a big issue but a middle of the road system is what I'm looking for. To be honest I don't really turn the stereo up loud to often but I would like some more bass when I do turn it up.

Russ
For your $500 budget, you can have a nice sub and amp. I got my sub and amp installed for about that price range from a local audio shop.

Some subs retail for about $250, but if you go to a local audio shop that is an authorized dealer, they can usually get you a better price.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:

Russ
Does that $500 include wiring, etc? If you have $500 to spend on just a single 12" subwoofer and amp, you can have some really nice gear. For that matter, you can get really nice gear and a wiring kit. Do you have any brands that you prefer? (I'm a RF fan, but that's because I like the way they sound.)
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
dedicated amp for sub(s). Entry level REI or JL Audio subs will sound good(100-150 watts) .
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Here are a couple of setups I would look at for the "around $500" price mark:

Rockford Fosgate Punch Series:
Punch 500-1BD amp - 500W @ 1 ohm - $300 at Sonic
Punch P3D2-12 sub - 600W RMS - $170 @ Sonic

Alpine
Alpine MRX-M55 amp - 550W @ 2 ohm - $300 at Sonic
Alpine SWR-1243D sub - 600W RMS - $150 at Sonic

Cerwin-Vega
Cerwin-Vega HED1000.1 500W @ 2 ohm - $210 at Sonic
Cerwin-Vega VMAX124 sub - 500W RMS -$130 at Sonic

I love RF myself. They are legendary for a reason. Plenty of people out there will tell you that you can get more and better for your money. That may be true....but I could also pay a little more for Rockford Fosgate and know exactly what I'm getting. They went south for a while when BestBuy started selling them - it was mainly because it looked like their quality control went south in favor of high volume sales. They appear to have remedied those issues and are now focused again on making excellent quality gear.

Alpine is Alpine. They have a great reputation for a reason. They have always built high quality car audio equipment.

Cerwin-Vega made my short list when I was buying up the stuff for my car. If you have never heard of them, Cerwin-Vega is a great brand and they are excellent performers. They forever changed the car audio game back in the late 90's with the Strokers.

You could easily spend a lot more money on Morel or Focal or a host of other companies if you wanted. I just figured that these would do fine for the money. Also, you can probably get a lot of this cheaper on eBay or some other car audio sites.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Also, you can probably get a lot of this cheaper on eBay or some other car audio sites.

Good luck!
I would stay away from eBay and non-authorized resellers when it comes to audio equipment . There are very good fakes online. By good, I mean they look like the real thing and are packaged by the real thing, but when compared side by side to the real speakers it's obvious that they're fakes.

Besides, buying from an authorized reseller means that the manufacturer will honor the warranty.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Here are a couple of setups I would look at for the "around $500" price mark:

Rockford Fosgate Punch Series:
Punch 500-1BD amp - 500W @ 1 ohm - $300 at Sonic
Punch P3D2-12 sub - 600W RMS - $170 @ Sonic

Alpine
Alpine MRX-M55 amp - 550W @ 2 ohm - $300 at Sonic
Alpine SWR-1243D sub - 600W RMS - $150 at Sonic

Cerwin-Vega
Cerwin-Vega HED1000.1 500W @ 2 ohm - $210 at Sonic
Cerwin-Vega VMAX124 sub - 500W RMS -$130 at Sonic

I love RF myself. They are legendary for a reason. Plenty of people out there will tell you that you can get more and better for your money. That may be true....but I could also pay a little more for Rockford Fosgate and know exactly what I'm getting. They went south for a while when BestBuy started selling them - it was mainly because it looked like their quality control went south in favor of high volume sales. They appear to have remedied those issues and are now focused again on making excellent quality gear.

Alpine is Alpine. They have a great reputation for a reason. They have always built high quality car audio equipment.

Cerwin-Vega made my short list when I was buying up the stuff for my car. If you have never heard of them, Cerwin-Vega is a great brand and they are excellent performers. They forever changed the car audio game back in the late 90's with the Strokers.

You could easily spend a lot more money on Morel or Focal or a host of other companies if you wanted. I just figured that these would do fine for the money. Also, you can probably get a lot of this cheaper on eBay or some other car audio sites.

Good luck!
Wow, thanks for the great info! As I said I am no expert on audio stuff. Many years ago I told a local car stereo company to put in a killer sound system in my Grand Prix. This was like 20 years ago and I think back then I paid over $2 grand for the system. The amp had this really cool "echo" feature, the rear speakers had magnets the size of hub caps. The system totaled something like 5000 watts. It hurt your hears just turning the amp on, it would make this super loud click and hum when it was first turned on. One of my drunk buddies turned the system up as loud as it would go at a softball game and actually blew the back window of the car out. So far that is the only experience I have had with a custom stereo system.

Russ