Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


View Poll Results: Should GM offer 0% financing on all vehicles to help boost sales?
Yes! Offer 0% financing! 222 92.50%
No. It's not necessary (read reasons why in posts below). 18 7.50%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #29
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,482
If anyone replied to this post with a 'NO' -- I'd really wonder about where they're coming from.

Here's the problem with zero percent financing.

Take the example that TAG uses --

......the part you're missing is the additional interest on that monthy savings.


..............see-- GMAC -- or Ford Motor Credit - or any captive finance company -- does not offer zero percent financing as an act of kindness.

SOMEONE has to pay for that -- and it comes right from the Divisional Budget -- meaning that you're talking thousands of dollars in additional incentive money to do that.

We DO have low interest financing OR a rebate on most cars -- those that are not selling as fast as we'd like.........


.............but looking at our financials --(we're losing billions...) why would anyone with any business acumen offer zero percent financing on a car that has people threatening me and many others with bodily harm if we don't build (and ship!) their new Camaro two months ago?


So yes -- it would give a 'sales lift' -- but at an even bigger loss............
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #30
72Zmaggie98Z
 
72Zmaggie98Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972Z, 2010 RS/SS CGM & Orange
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 20
We were able to get 3.99% from the local credit union on our 2010 I am very happy with that rate, considering the loan on my 92 Camaro back in the mid 90's was at 12% with me having great credit.
72Zmaggie98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #31
my2010camaross
ss
 
Drives: all black ss
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: texas
Posts: 331
zero % for well qualified buyers, all other buyers finance else where. Or allow the cash allowance, which is what I would hope that they would do on my car. I mean, if I really wanted to, I could borrow a small amount from my credit card and have the whole car payed of day 1. Reality, is the cash allowance is a benefit for both the consumer and the seller. Seller makes all the amount right up front, cunsumer gets the incentive of say 1k-1,500 for doing so. Win Win
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #32
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
If anyone replied to this post with a 'NO' -- I'd really wonder about where they're coming from.

Here's the problem with zero percent financing.

Take the example that TAG uses --

......the part you're missing is the additional interest on that monthy savings.


..............see-- GMAC -- or Ford Motor Credit - or any captive finance company -- does not offer zero percent financing as an act of kindness.

SOMEONE has to pay for that -- and it comes right from the Divisional Budget -- meaning that you're talking thousands of dollars in additional incentive money to do that.

We DO have low interest financing OR a rebate on most cars -- those that are not selling as fast as we'd like.........


.............but looking at our financials --(we're losing billions...) why would anyone with any business acumen offer zero percent financing on a car that has people threatening me and many others with bodily harm if we don't build (and ship!) their new Camaro two months ago?


So yes -- it would give a 'sales lift' -- but at an even bigger loss............
So basically because you can't get the cars out in time to meet current high demand, it would be stupid to increase demand even more and then at a loss of even more money with 0% financing.

I would say you guys at GM need to be able to create more Camaro's and less of other less popular vehicles so 0% financing can be done and you could sell more vehicles and at the same time help out those of us who would benefit from paying less each month for the car..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #33
siliconewolfgang
 
siliconewolfgang's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Hummer H2
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinergy View Post
It'd be nice to see our Politicians have the balls to stand up to credit card companies, but apparently (as usual) they don't.
Politicians HAVE NO BALLS or ethics.
__________________
siliconewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #34
siliconewolfgang
 
siliconewolfgang's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Hummer H2
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 103
People People People and GM too.... All GMAC needs to do is offer a better rate than a bank or credit union - say 2% financing.

Then as some folks pointed out, buyers would then maybe buy a few more "addons" or MORE buyers would simple buy MORE cars = MORE MARGIN OR REVENUES MEANS LESS TAXPAYER MONEY TO BAIL OUT BIG WIGS THAT RAN THEIR COMPANY INTO THE GROUND BUT STILL GET THEIR MILLIONS IN BONUSES >>>>>>> a win win for today's consumers and whatever is left of today's GM.

BIG COMPANIES GET SLOW, STUPID AND LOSE SITE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS AND WHAT THEY WANT. AND ALSO WHAT GOT THEM BIG IN THE FIRST PLACE....LISTENING AND CARING ABOUTWHO BUYS FROM THEM. LOOK AT ALL OUR BIG BUSINESSES- THE BIG WIGS GET FURTHER FROM THE CUSTOMER EVERY TIME THEY EXPAND....
__________________
siliconewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #35
GMtothecore
"That Guy"
 
GMtothecore's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Posts: 2,361
I'm really hoping for 0% when I get my camaro......I could get by without it, but it would be a nice little crutch!
__________________
GMtothecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #36
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconewolfgang View Post
People People People and GM too.... All GMAC needs to do is offer a better rate than a bank or credit union - say 2% financing.

Then as some folks pointed out, buyers would then maybe buy a few more "addons" or MORE buyers would simple buy MORE cars = MORE MARGIN OR REVENUES MEANS LESS TAXPAYER MONEY TO BAIL OUT BIG WIGS THAT RAN THEIR COMPANY INTO THE GROUND BUT STILL GET THEIR MILLIONS IN BONUSES >>>>>>> a win win for today's consumers and whatever is left of today's GM.

BIG COMPANIES GET SLOW, STUPID AND LOSE SITE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS AND WHAT THEY WANT. AND ALSO WHAT GOT THEM BIG IN THE FIRST PLACE....LISTENING AND CARING ABOUTWHO BUYS FROM THEM. LOOK AT ALL OUR BIG BUSINESSES- THE BIG WIGS GET FURTHER FROM THE CUSTOMER EVERY TIME THEY EXPAND....

oooooooooooooookay.........


Now --

I have a question:

Have you read about the current state of affairs in this country?

Have you looked at what's going on in the financial community?

GMAC and Chrysler financial cannot raise the funds they need to finance everyone that wants to get financing.......

Go do the math on a $30,000 loan over 5 years -- what the carrying costs are --

I understand your frustration --


And your statement:

QUOTE: LESS TAXPAYER MONEY TO BAIL OUT BIG WIGS THAT RAN THEIR COMPANY INTO THE GROUND BUT STILL GET THEIR MILLIONS IN BONUSES UNQUOTE......


GM is not getting free money from the Government - it is a loan that will be repaid with a substantial amount of interest. (not zero percent!) That is UNLIKE the aid that was given to foreign manufacturers in the State of Alabama by Sen. Richard Shelby....that does not require a payback......

Further, no one at GM is getting 'bonuses' -- and in fact, no one has for a few years. What IS true is that as people are let go, they are getting next to nothing...no matter how long they worked for the company -....I have watched thousands as they are let go - they worked hard and they got caught in the cross-fire. I know of more than one person who, like me, spent weekends with our enthusiasts -- and lived/ate/breathed GM........it's horrible!
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #37
DkknightX
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Emerson, NJ
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
oooooooooooooookay.........


Now --

I have a question:

Have you read about the current state of affairs in this country?

Have you looked at what's going on in the financial community?

GMAC and Chrysler financial cannot raise the funds they need to finance everyone that wants to get financing.......

Go do the math on a $30,000 loan over 5 years -- what the carrying costs are --

I understand your frustration --


And your statement:

QUOTE: LESS TAXPAYER MONEY TO BAIL OUT BIG WIGS THAT RAN THEIR COMPANY INTO THE GROUND BUT STILL GET THEIR MILLIONS IN BONUSES UNQUOTE......


GM is not getting free money from the Government - it is a loan that will be repaid with a substantial amount of interest. (not zero percent!) That is UNLIKE the aid that was given to foreign manufacturers in the State of Alabama by Sen. Richard Shelby....that does not require a payback......

Further, no one at GM is getting 'bonuses' -- and in fact, no one has for a few years. What IS true is that as people are let go, they are getting next to nothing...no matter how long they worked for the company -....I have watched thousands as they are let go - they worked hard and they got caught in the cross-fire. I know of more than one person who, like me, spent weekends with our enthusiasts -- and lived/ate/breathed GM........it's horrible!
The UAW should have thought about that 20 years ago while they were slowly suffocating GM and had time to renegotiate to allow the company to reorganize properly. Now...they'll have nothing. You shouldn't feel so sorry for the workers if GM files for Chapter 11 because they had direct control over who was appointed to the UAW, but they too, became greedy. Now on the verge of losing everything, they want to negotiate...after the fact...GM on the fringe. Compassion is a limited commodity most of us use sparingly with GM and the UAW, especially when pity is the fuel it runs on. You know what is ironic too? The unions supported Barack Obama, and what Obama is doing is trying to stop the bleeding for the nation after you and I have bled too much to save GM from itself. We know how those workers are voting come next term.

I'm not in favor of anybody losing their jobs or being "caught in the cross-fire." The workers had the power to do what was right, but the UAW kept milking the golden cow (GM). What do you expect taxpayers to honestly think, fbod? Seriously.

Last edited by DkknightX; 05-17-2009 at 03:01 AM.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #38
jking
 
Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 34
If GM (or the dealerships) suddenly started offering zero percent financing, I'd be ordering a Camaro tomorrow. I'm dying to get one like all of us here, but financially I just can't swing it right now.

I was at a Chev dealership just before they received their first Camaro a few weeks ago. I was chatting with the salesman and he told me that they recently announced that they are lowering the restrictions on qualifying for zero percent on the Cobalts. He said "even folks with not so great credit scores can now qualify for zero percent on a Cobalt". And any other car that's being advertised as zero percent, he said that your score has to be at least 640 to qualify (I was given that number by two different dealerships).

But with the Camaro, not only are low interest rates not happening, but most of the dealerships it seems are marking way up over MSRP. So it's the worst of both worlds; high finance rates, along with inflated pricing! It's for those reasons that I will probably have to be forced to wait until next year for my Camaro.

However I do realize that some dealerships are staying at MSRP, so maybe I can consider a purchase in a few months time because of that.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #39
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
The UAW should have thought about that 20 years ago while they were slowly suffocating GM and had time to renegotiate to allow the company to reorganize properly. Now...they'll have nothing. You shouldn't feel so sorry for the workers if GM files for Chapter 11 because they had direct control over who was appointed to the UAW, but they too, became greedy. Now on the verge of losing everything, they want to negotiate...after the fact...GM on the fringe. Compassion is a limited commodity most of us use sparingly with GM and the UAW, especially when pity is the fuel it runs on. You know what is ironic too? The unions supported Barack Obama, and what Obama is doing is trying to stop the bleeding for the nation after you and I have bled too much to save GM from itself. We know how those workers are voting come next term.

I'm not in favor of anybody losing their jobs or being "caught in the cross-fire." The workers had the power to do what was right, but the UAW kept milking the golden cow (GM). What do you expect taxpayers to honestly think, fbod? Seriously.
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #40
Wareal
 
Drives: 911
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 74
GM has been offering 0% through GMAC consistently for at least three years on specific models. This practice has not helped their bottom line. It's only delayed the inevitable. There is a reason they offer rate or rebate, but not both. GM subsidizes one or the other. GM is not profitable because they stopped making a quality product (ironically, until just recently). All the newest models compare favorably with the competition, including imports: Malibu, Traverse, ZR1, and Camaro.

GM has to get smaller before they can get better (and bigger). The Cruz will be key to the relative success of GM. The Volt should help, as should the Spark and Orlando (1.6l turbodiesel).

If you plan on paying the car off early, take the rebate. If you plan on going the full term of the loan, take the 0%. Google "time value of money".
Wareal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #41
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,935
Unfortunately, 0% financing is unrealistic in todays economy - more sales (w/"0%") would equate to LESS gross profit. A dying business model.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #42
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,728
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
in 2006, we bought our Z71 Tahoe... we had a PT Cruiser that was paid off as a trade in... the 0% financing was the selling point for that Tahoe... if we had been able to get a 2007 Tahoe for a better rate, we would have gotten one... but with 0% financing, $8000 trade in on the PT, GM loyalty rebate and the demonstrator discount on our Tahoe, we couldn't pass it up... and it is a true 0%, not something that is jacked up after XXmonths

I firmly believe that GM needs to get with some creditors and get 0% offered on some vehicles... if you buy a $25,000 2009 Silverado, getting 0% financing per month pays for one full tank of gas per month... nothing sells cars and trucks better than someone thinking they are getting something for free... or something for a better deal than other companies are offering.
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM MARCH SALES DOWN 45% FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 15 04-02-2009 11:44 AM
GM FEBRUARY SALES DOWN 53% FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 5 03-03-2009 03:31 PM
GM January Sales Down 48.8%... FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 13 02-05-2009 10:26 PM
GM DECEMBER SALES DOWN 31%, BETTER THAN LAST MONTH FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 18 01-07-2009 01:09 AM
Twinned Vehicles: Same Cars, Different Brands TRIXXTERR General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 31 10-02-2008 06:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.