Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Blue Tooth Question

Two questions:
I have a 2011 SS and a 4S iPhone. A few weeks agos I paired the iPhone and the car thinking I could play my iTunes without using the USB cable. Never did make that work. Should it?
2nd question, when I use OnStar for a phone call, it says something like, "Making OnStar call using", Then you hear my voice, "Dave's iPhone". It then procedds as normal. Am I using OnStar minutes or iPhone minutes? I have unlimited minutes on my phone so maybe I don't need OnStar minutes.
Any thoughts
Thanks
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
ChriSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black and IOM
I never could figure out how to get my iPhone to play music wirelessly so I have one idea on that question. But for question number 2 I have done that a few times and my OnStar minutes are still the same so I would guess that it is useing your cellphone minutes and not your OnStar minutes.
ChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Dylan88
UCF Knights

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
I've never heard of being able to play your music from your iPhone without a USB cable.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
The problem with the iphone is that you sync it with itunes and with the phone separately - if you go to your phones blu tooth settings you'll see that there are two things synced - one is GM music and the other is the phone.

In my experience the GM Music will pick up three or four times starting the car then for some reason gets overridden by the phone and I have to manually turn it back on.

So in short - YES you can play music via blu tooth; however, I haven't been able to maintain it long enough for it to not be a nuisance.
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
hallock36

Drives: 2012 Camaro
I play my iPhone via Bluetooth all the time. Never have had a problem. It was all hooked up at the dealership, so I'm not sure of the steps. Its probably in the manual somewhere I would guess. You phone has to be synced two times for this to work. Mine is synced to my car and something called "GM music Connect" and that allows me to play via bluetooth. Plus use the steering wheel buttons to change songs, etc. I have a 2012 so I'm not sure if its different or not.

As far as #2, unless you are pressing the Onstar button then you aren't using Onstar. Your call has a voice too, so you can say "call Joe" or Call' 1234545687" and it will repeat it back to you in the voice.
hallock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
kcsr6

Drives: 2011 Black LS3 2SS/RS
I use mine on Bluetooth all the time, just check the manual to pair I think it's like four steps. I just have to start the car let my phone pair and then go into the iPhone settings and select the gm music connect option and you should be good to go.
2011 Black on Black 2SS/RS, Torch Red Bow Ties, 5% Tint, Oracle Side Markers, Forgestar F14's, Vararam Intake, VMax Throttle Body, Custom Grind Comp Cam 224/236 114, SLP Under Drive Pulley, Granatelli Wires, Kooks 1 7/8 LTH, Off-road pipes, 3" exhaust, Mike Norris Motorsports Tune 471 RWHP 449 RWTQ! Search for kcsr6 on YouTube for sound clips.

kcsr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
wonder if this works with droids...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsr6 View Post
I use mine on Bluetooth all the time, just check the manual to pair I think it's like four steps. I just have to start the car let my phone pair and then go into the iPhone settings and select the gm music connect option and you should be good to go.
May as well plug it in every time if you have to go into your phone and select GM Music. In my Mazda 3 I turn the car on and my music starts automatically. Phone stays in my pocket.
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Fogey

Response to Halleck, and test

I am using the steering wheel OnStar button.
Test: I called my wifes cell via (OnSStar/Cell Phone?) while I ran errands. Let it go for about 15 minutes. After about an hour I called OnStar and no minutes had been used. Test #2. Put the cellphone in the house and tried a call on OnStar. It found the phone though the connection was crappy. Tomorrow I'm going to drive a few blocks away with the cell phone at the house and see if normal OnStar works.
My concern is that if I lose the phone, the battery goes dead, whatever, I won't be able to use OnStar for a call. Plus nStar has more power thanb a cell, thus greatger range.
As for music, I'll try aqain to get it set up right.
Thanks to all, for comments and advice.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
May as well plug it in every time if you have to go into your phone and select GM Music. In my Mazda 3 I turn the car on and my music starts automatically. Phone stays in my pocket.
yup pain in the **s
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Fogey

Response to Halleck, and test

I am using the steering wheel OnStar button.
Test: I called my wifes cell via (OnSStar/Cell Phone?) while I ran errands. Let it go for about 15 minutes. After about an hour I called OnStar and no minutes had been used. Test #2. Put the cellphone in the house and tried a call on OnStar. It found the phone though the connection was crappy. Tomorrow I'm going to drive a few blocks away with the cell phone at the house and see if normal OnStar works.
My concern is that if I lose the phone, the battery goes dead, whatever, I won't be able to use OnStar for a call. Plus nStar has more power thanb a cell, thus greatger range.
As for music, I'll try aqain to get it set up right.
Thanks to all, for comments and advice.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Fogey

Sorry about the double post

nt
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Fogey

Solved part of the problem

Just turned off Blue Tooth on the iPhone and the regular OnStar system worked fine.
I'll fix the music issue tomorrow
OPPS- I am a dunderhead. If I don't have the Iphone how do I turn off Blue Tooth
Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
montyhp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Red Jewel w/Beige
Here is how it works with my galaxy 2s:

1. when I get it the car, the car usually picks up the phone bluetooth (in general, bluetooth is unreliable, whether it is in the car, or with a laptop).

2. To listen to music or have the navigation talk through the speakers I push the aux button (it will say aux input). Then push the menu button (the round button on the right hand side of the radio), and select bluetooth options, then select your phone. Voila, it is set up.

Easy button!
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #15
ExCrystal

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2lt
Since you have the iPhone 4s like I do, press the button on the steering wheel and say "voice". The system will then access your phone through Siri. Then say "Call _______" and you're all set. I do that all the time and it works for me ^^).
ExCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
Two questions:
I have a 2011 SS and a 4S iPhone. A few weeks agos I paired the iPhone and the car thinking I could play my iTunes without using the USB cable. Never did make that work. Should it?
2nd question, when I use OnStar for a phone call, it says something like, "Making OnStar call using", Then you hear my voice, "Dave's iPhone". It then procedds as normal. Am I using OnStar minutes or iPhone minutes? I have unlimited minutes on my phone so maybe I don't need OnStar minutes.
Any thoughts
Thanks
This is a great question! I have checked your owner's manual and it states on page 7-20 and 7-28:

7-20

To select the Bluetooth Music Setup menu when a device is not attached to the USB port, or when a device is attached to the USB port but not active:
1. Press the CD/AUX button until AUX is the active source.
2. Press the MENU/SELECT knob.
3. Select Bluetooth Music Setup.

To select the Bluetooth Music Setup menu when a Bluetooth device is connected and active:
1. Press the MENU/SELECT knob.
2. Select Bluetooth Music Setup.

Pairing a Device
1. Select Connect To New Device from the Bluetooth Music Setup menu.

2. The system asks a series of Yes/No questions to determine what type of device is being paired.

3. After the system determines what type of Bluetooth device is being paired, the Bluetooth device will need to be put into discovery mode.

4. Some devices may require a personal identification number (PIN) in order to complete the pairing process. Locate the device named “GMusicConnect” in the list on the Bluetooth device and follow the instructions on the device to enter the four-digit PIN provided by the infotainment system.

7-28

Bluetooth (Voice Recognition)

Using Voice Recognition
To use voice recognition, press thebutton (that looks like a person talking) located on the steeringwheel. The system responds “Ready,” followed by a tone. After the tone, say a command.

Making a Call
Calls can be made using the following commands.

Dial or Call: The dial or call command can be used interchangeably to dial a phone number or a stored name tag.

Digit Dial: This command allows a phone number to be dialed by entering the digits one at a time.

Redial: This command is used to dial the last number used on the cell phone.

Using the “Dial” or “Call” Command
1. Press the button that looks like a person talking.
2. Say “Dial” or “Call.”
3. Say the entire number without pausing or say the name tag. Once connected, the person called will be heard through the audio speakers.

***If a Bluetooth phone is not connected, calls will be made using OnStar Hands-Free Calling, if available. Refer to the OnStar owner's guide for more information.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at any time!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
wmlunt

Drives: 2SS RS White/Lt Gry
GPS?

So why can't I get my GPS phone app (Garmin) to work thru the bluetooth? Garmin says they can not because it might go to a bluetooth headset, and could not distinguish between headset and Camaro... Does any GPS work with Bluetooth, and Camaro radio?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
This does indeed work without plugging in a USB cable. Works with Android phones as well as iphones.

You cannot have the bluetooth calling connected at same time as the music though which may be where some people are being thrown off.

The manual describes the process in depth..
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
rwmiller56

Drives: 2011 1LT Summit White
I have my phone paired to the car by Bluetooth. If I just press the OnStar button, and say "Call <number>", it will default to the OnStar phone. If I say "Bluetooth", then "Voice", it will go into my cell phone's voice command system. Then I say the usual cell phone voice commands.

You have to go into the radio Bluetooth menu to setup streaming audio (see post #16). I had this setup, but I ended up going back to USB. I didn't like the streaming audio because I couldn't select tracks using the steering wheel controls. I had to select tracks directly from the phone, which is distracting.