Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Trunk Monkey Parts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Blue Tooth Question

Two questions:
I have a 2011 SS and a 4S iPhone. A few weeks agos I paired the iPhone and the car thinking I could play my iTunes without using the USB cable. Never did make that work. Should it?
2nd question, when I use OnStar for a phone call, it says something like, "Making OnStar call using", Then you hear my voice, "Dave's iPhone". It then procedds as normal. Am I using OnStar minutes or iPhone minutes? I have unlimited minutes on my phone so maybe I don't need OnStar minutes.
Any thoughts
Thanks
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
ChriSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black and IOM
I never could figure out how to get my iPhone to play music wirelessly so I have one idea on that question. But for question number 2 I have done that a few times and my OnStar minutes are still the same so I would guess that it is useing your cellphone minutes and not your OnStar minutes.
ChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Dylan88
UCF Knights

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
I've never heard of being able to play your music from your iPhone without a USB cable.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
The problem with the iphone is that you sync it with itunes and with the phone separately - if you go to your phones blu tooth settings you'll see that there are two things synced - one is GM music and the other is the phone.

In my experience the GM Music will pick up three or four times starting the car then for some reason gets overridden by the phone and I have to manually turn it back on.

So in short - YES you can play music via blu tooth; however, I haven't been able to maintain it long enough for it to not be a nuisance.
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
hallock36

Drives: 2012 Camaro
I play my iPhone via Bluetooth all the time. Never have had a problem. It was all hooked up at the dealership, so I'm not sure of the steps. Its probably in the manual somewhere I would guess. You phone has to be synced two times for this to work. Mine is synced to my car and something called "GM music Connect" and that allows me to play via bluetooth. Plus use the steering wheel buttons to change songs, etc. I have a 2012 so I'm not sure if its different or not.

As far as #2, unless you are pressing the Onstar button then you aren't using Onstar. Your call has a voice too, so you can say "call Joe" or Call' 1234545687" and it will repeat it back to you in the voice.
hallock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
kcsr6

Drives: 2011 Black LS3 2SS/RS
I use mine on Bluetooth all the time, just check the manual to pair I think it's like four steps. I just have to start the car let my phone pair and then go into the iPhone settings and select the gm music connect option and you should be good to go.
2011 2SS/RS, Torch Red Bow Ties, 5% Tint, Oracle Side Markers, Forgestar F14's, Pfadt lowering springs, Vararam Intake, VMax Throttle Body, Custom Grind Comp Cam 224/236 114, SLP Under Drive Pulley, Granatelli Wires, Kooks 1 7/8 LTH, Off-road pipes, 3" exhaust, Mike Norris Motorsports Tune 471 RWHP 449 RWTQ! Search for kcsr6 on YouTube for sound clips.

kcsr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
wonder if this works with droids...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsr6 View Post
I use mine on Bluetooth all the time, just check the manual to pair I think it's like four steps. I just have to start the car let my phone pair and then go into the iPhone settings and select the gm music connect option and you should be good to go.
May as well plug it in every time if you have to go into your phone and select GM Music. In my Mazda 3 I turn the car on and my music starts automatically. Phone stays in my pocket.
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Fogey

Response to Halleck, and test

I am using the steering wheel OnStar button.
Test: I called my wifes cell via (OnSStar/Cell Phone?) while I ran errands. Let it go for about 15 minutes. After about an hour I called OnStar and no minutes had been used. Test #2. Put the cellphone in the house and tried a call on OnStar. It found the phone though the connection was crappy. Tomorrow I'm going to drive a few blocks away with the cell phone at the house and see if normal OnStar works.
My concern is that if I lose the phone, the battery goes dead, whatever, I won't be able to use OnStar for a call. Plus nStar has more power thanb a cell, thus greatger range.
As for music, I'll try aqain to get it set up right.
Thanks to all, for comments and advice.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
May as well plug it in every time if you have to go into your phone and select GM Music. In my Mazda 3 I turn the car on and my music starts automatically. Phone stays in my pocket.
yup pain in the **s
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Fogey

Response to Halleck, and test

I am using the steering wheel OnStar button.
Test: I called my wifes cell via (OnSStar/Cell Phone?) while I ran errands. Let it go for about 15 minutes. After about an hour I called OnStar and no minutes had been used. Test #2. Put the cellphone in the house and tried a call on OnStar. It found the phone though the connection was crappy. Tomorrow I'm going to drive a few blocks away with the cell phone at the house and see if normal OnStar works.
My concern is that if I lose the phone, the battery goes dead, whatever, I won't be able to use OnStar for a call. Plus nStar has more power thanb a cell, thus greatger range.
As for music, I'll try aqain to get it set up right.
Thanks to all, for comments and advice.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Fogey

Sorry about the double post

nt
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Fogey

Solved part of the problem

Just turned off Blue Tooth on the iPhone and the regular OnStar system worked fine.
I'll fix the music issue tomorrow
OPPS- I am a dunderhead. If I don't have the Iphone how do I turn off Blue Tooth
Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
montyhp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Red Jewel w/Beige
Here is how it works with my galaxy 2s:

1. when I get it the car, the car usually picks up the phone bluetooth (in general, bluetooth is unreliable, whether it is in the car, or with a laptop).

2. To listen to music or have the navigation talk through the speakers I push the aux button (it will say aux input). Then push the menu button (the round button on the right hand side of the radio), and select bluetooth options, then select your phone. Voila, it is set up.

Easy button!
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote