Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #26
Mikey193

Drives: 2012 black ss/rs camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
if you can only afford the cheapest car possible like a $13k KIA or something, that's one thing. but its 2012. I can't, for the life of me, understand why someone would willingly choose to bother with a clutch EVERY SINGLE TIME they drive a car. its like self torture. specially a car you're paying over $20k for. its a problem bike riders and professional auto/motorcycle racers have been trying to solve since the beginning of time. luckily quickshifters for bikes and shiftable auto trannies on cars are becoming the norm these days.
:( stick is a lot of fun to drive
Mikey193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #27
pump905

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs black with white rally
keep the wife happy u will be happier and u can't lose with either one.
pump905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
AFM on the auto is really a bummer. It doesn't turn on only on the highway, it turns on all the time. It'll kick on and off while cruising at 35. IMO, this was the biggest mistake they made with the L99. It's easily "fixed" with a tune, but then you lose your warranty. Some people don't seem to mind it, but some do.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
Augie1978

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Vert
I have owned both an automatic and now a manual. I didnt like the AFM in the auto and the stick is alot more fun to drive in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #30
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Drive both to see which is the best choice for you
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #31
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Why are you so worried about which is faster? Are you taking it to the drags every day or something? They are both pretty quick cars. If you enjoy grabbing gears, get the 6 speed. If you enjoy pulling the thing into drive and simply pushing the gas pedal, get the auto. It's your choice. If your wife can't drive a stick, I'd pass on it. These cars have some weight to them and she'll have the clutch smoked in no time.
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #32
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
Manual hands down more fun to drive. Automatics are for sedans, and pu$$y whipped men that have to worry about their wives bitching......That's why she has her own car.
Wow.
You should tell that to the major performance shops that purchased automatic ZL1s for drag racing.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #33
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Wow.
You should tell that to the major performance shops that purchased automatic ZL1s for drag racing.
This and majorority of owners who have invested a lot of $$$$$$ into their autos and win......a lot
Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #34
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
I love my remote start....A nice little feature the manuals dont have.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #35
Twehttam

Drives: 2013?
Recently drove a 2012 2SS Auto, Manual, and Manual w/ Hurst back-to-back as I decide on options for a 2013 order. Without question, my choice is the M6 w/ short-throw. It felt "right" to me. I was considering the auto so my wife has more of an opportunity to drive it, but even she said it had to be a manual. The feeling I had moving through the gears could not be simulated with paddle shifting.
Twehttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #36
Camaro154

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO IOM
For the record I landed up getting the auto. The manual is more fun to drive but the auto is smooth and just pushes you into your seat until you take your foot off the gas. My wife is also very happy that she can now drive it. Thanks again for all the info on this thread it is great to hear the different advice and opinions.
Camaro154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #37
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Manual hands down more fun to drive. Automatics are for sedans, and pu$$y whipped men that have to worry about their wives bitching......That's why she has her own car.
Really? How old are you? I bet your 650hp manual shifter monster has never been out out of the 12's.

Maybe you should pm the owner of this car http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230900

And tell him what you think. He has an auto. Or you could tell that to a few other members that run in the 9's or low tens with an auto. The only thing a manual is good for when your making a bunch of power is:

-missing a gear and having an excuse why you lost
-spinning really bad and yet having another excuse why you lost
-burning up clutches trying to slip it so you can try to hang with the auto guy next to you

To each their own. I've seen some fast cars (very few tho) with manuals....but usually when they decide to get serious and consistent....they switch to an auto. My buddy has a street car that wouldn't break into the 9's with a six speed. The only thing it would break is input shafts. He put an auto in it.....9.60@ 144. Go figure. He must be a puss too?

Last edited by Camarowguy; 06-18-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Wow.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #39
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro154 View Post
For the record I landed up getting the auto. The manual is more fun to drive but the auto is smooth and just pushes you into your seat until you take your foot off the gas. My wife is also very happy that she can now drive it. Thanks again for all the info on this thread it is great to hear the different advice and opinions.

sounds great.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #40
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro154 View Post
Good choice. You'll be even more glad of your choice when you get caught in traffic. Or when that manual six speed guy rolls up next to you wanting to try you out. Like happened to me a couple weeks ago. When I put 4 car lengths on him, his excuse was he spun bad. So from a roll we tried it. Missed a gear this time. Wow. Anyway, you made a good choice!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #41
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
Quote:
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #42
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
my wrk truck. That said. No manual is worth the convenience and no to mention higher chance of winning my auto Camaro gives me.
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #43
Camarowguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGood View Post
Bahahahaha!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #44
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
if you can only afford the cheapest car possible like a $13k KIA or something, that's one thing. but its 2012. I can't, for the life of me, understand why someone would willingly choose to bother with a clutch EVERY SINGLE TIME they drive a car. its like self torture. specially a car you're paying over $20k for. its a problem bike riders and professional auto/motorcycle racers have been trying to solve since the beginning of time. luckily quickshifters for bikes and shiftable auto trannies on cars are becoming the norm these days.
Because a manual is fun and keeps you engaged!

On long trips you stay in 6th gear anyways so its like you have an auto cause you don't have to do anything for a long time lol
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #45
fishface

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Im guessing your not married(just joking). But hey it really just comes down to a choice that you and you alone can make man. I have an auto and love it but have also driven a manual one as well and loved that just as much. In the end its really just a win win no matter which one you pick.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #46
Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTSS View Post
Manual is of course more labor intensive, but i feel that auto drivers need to drive manual to really enjoy their car. Not saying automatic drives dont, but manual drivers have genuinely more control. Automatics are getting to a point where its EXTREMELY fast and manual shifting just cannot keep up, but you lose the sense of control.
I keep seeing this line over and over " but manual drivers have genuinely more control."

Could someone please explain to me how you have more control over your
"stick" car than I do with my "automatic"?

While we're at it,that little phrase that keeps getting used alot "rowing through the gears" explain that one to me also.I wonder what you would call it when I'm "paddle" shifting past a "stick" car and he's rowing the boat?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #47
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
So, I see on post 36 the OP bought an auto. That's great. Therefore, apparently post 37 and beyond have become yet another manual vs. auto thread. OK, I'll play. If you want to drive the car, get a manual, if you want the car to drive itself, get an auto. That's what my Equinox, which is my DD, is. Much better suited for commuting to work. I know some of you are going to have a hard time digesting this, but not all of us who owns a Camaro race. WGAS who can beat whom! Most of us don't care. Enjoy what you enjoy.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #48
Quick

I enjoy beating stick shift cars cause they have mad skilz and are in total control...lmao...go row your boat.

You're right, wgas.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #49
bcguy
bcguy

Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
Quote:
haaaaaaaa
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #50
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
LOL just for ***** whipped men huh? Sounds to me like you bought your car to compensate for something else you're lacking. Everyone is different. Not everyone cares about racing other people & supercharging their cars. If this guy wants to auto then that's what he should get. That's why they make both, there is no right or wrong...just personal preference.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, auto, camaro, manual, trans