Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Jpzero3
 
Jpzero3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro 1LT RS package
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 38
2012 ABL Door Lighting

Is it possible to get the blue ambient door lighting that comes standard on 2LT and 2SS installed on my 1LT?

I currently have this interior without the trim; it is just beige cloth.

i WANT this.

Jpzero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
v6

 
v6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 998
that looks like an aftermarket install. stock ABL is just the top part of the door sill lit up. But i know you can buy a kit for this. Not sure where tho
__________________
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
skinman

 
skinman's Avatar
 
Drives: Convertible Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 858
Cool! Haven't seen that yet. Mine just has the top strip. I want the aftermarket dash strip.
__________________
skinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzero3 View Post
Is it possible to get the blue ambient door lighting that comes standard on 2LT and 2SS installed on my 1LT?

I currently have this interior without the trim; it is just beige cloth.

i WANT this.

that's not standard ABL. I believe that is 2SSRS' door panel. But regardless 2SSRS sells an ABL kit on his website - www.gen5diy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinman View Post
Cool! Haven't seen that yet. Mine just has the top strip. I want the aftermarket dash strip.
2SSRS sells a kit on his website for the dash ABL.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
StangKiller-SS

 
Drives: GM products
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,622
The bottom ABL part is not stock, and even then the upper trim may be modified. You can install the actual 2SS style trim panels with ease as it's just a removal of your stock cloth trim and mounting the silver panels with some very short screws. Dash trim is only clipped on and passenger dash piece has like 5 clips across holding it in and the drivers side dash pieces has like 2.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Runawayhacker
 
Runawayhacker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
that's not standard ABL. I believe that is 2SSRS' door panel. But regardless 2SSRS sells an ABL kit on his website - www.gen5diy.com


2SSRS sells a kit on his website for the dash ABL.
Looks good. I have a 2012 2SS non-RS. What all do I need in addition to the kit they provide? Surprisingly, there is barely a description there. If anyone has the actual instructions on how to install it so I know ahead of time, that would be awesome too.

In my first 5th gen, I had a 1SS, so I ended up lining the dash and doors with EL wire. It looked positively AMAZING and at 99cents a foot, it was cheap. One of the drawbacks though was the high pitched noise coming from the inverter for the EL wire. I was working on silencing it, but then my car was wrecked :(
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
Jpzero3
 
Jpzero3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro 1LT RS package
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Looks good. I have a 2012 2SS non-RS. What all do I need in addition to the kit they provide? Surprisingly, there is barely a description there. If anyone has the actual instructions on how to install it so I know ahead of time, that would be awesome too.

In my first 5th gen, I had a 1SS, so I ended up lining the dash and doors with EL wire. It looked positively AMAZING and at 99cents a foot, it was cheap. One of the drawbacks though was the high pitched noise coming from the inverter for the EL wire. I was working on silencing it, but then my car was wrecked :(

i'm soooooo sorry for your loss ,
have any pictures though?
Jpzero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Jpzero3
 
Jpzero3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro 1LT RS package
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS View Post
The bottom ABL part is not stock, and even then the upper trim may be modified. You can install the actual 2SS style trim panels with ease as it's just a removal of your stock cloth trim and mounting the silver panels with some very short screws. Dash trim is only clipped on and passenger dash piece has like 5 clips across holding it in and the drivers side dash pieces has like 2.

do you have any resources where i could learn how to install it? or where i could even buy all the parts i need to make it look liek the stock ABL lighting...i know the picture i put up was not stock but i'd want the original stock ABL lighted doors
Jpzero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
Check the marketplace for a set of used ABL door panels. Then 2SSRS sells kits to retrofit the ABL
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Runawayhacker
 
Runawayhacker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzero3 View Post
i'm soooooo sorry for your loss ,
have any pictures though?
Here are some photos before I finished doing the writeup. If you want further instructions, just ask and I'll give more











Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Jpzero3
 
Jpzero3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro 1LT RS package
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 38
[QUOTE=Runawayhacker;5140690]Here are some photos before I finished doing the writeup. If you want further instructions, just ask and I'll give more




it looks super sexy!

i'm definitely interested!
Jpzero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Jpzero3
 
Jpzero3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro 1LT RS package
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 38
would i be able to just remove the beige cloth and place the plastic trim in its place ?

or just replacing the whole door?

which is better?
Jpzero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzero3 View Post
would i be able to just remove the beige cloth and place the plastic trim in its place ?

or just replacing the whole door?

which is better?
you just need to replace the black cloth one with the plastic ABL piece.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
WCoolBreeze
2SS
 
WCoolBreeze's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Imperial, CA
Posts: 1,303
2SSRS's (Ofer) car is a 2SS with the IOM interior, so his ABL is Red. He has also modifed his to the way the concept cars ABL is. The entire door panel, top and bottom and also all the way across the dash. By the way, I have done the Full ABL install on my car, which is a 2LT/RS
and I will changing out the Light Tubes to better/improved ones which I have recntly aquired.
Walt B.
__________________
2016 Camaro 2SS
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T (Yes it has a Hemi)
1987 Camaro RS (California Special) - For Sale

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016

Last edited by WCoolBreeze; 06-18-2012 at 11:51 AM.
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.