Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
matteyp

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS Red JewelCoat
Oil pressure question

I have a 2010 2ssRs. Hey does anyone have issues with there oil pressure being super high when your engine is cold? Im not sure if this is normal but when I start my car up in the morning the oil pressure goes all the way up to 70 psi. Then ill get a hesitation between first and second gear untill the car warms up a little. Is that normal? Has anyone else had that issue? thanks

Matt
matteyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteyp View Post
I have a 2010 2ssRs. Hey does anyone have issues with there oil pressure being super high when your engine is cold? Im not sure if this is normal but when I start my car up in the morning the oil pressure goes all the way up to 70 psi. Then ill get a hesitation between first and second gear untill the car warms up a little. Is that normal? Has anyone else had that issue? thanks

Matt
Thats normal. Oil is thicker when its cold so it will be a higher pressure. As it warms up the oil thins out and the pressure drops.

The hesitation on the other hand, doesnt sound normal. That would have nothing to do with the oil though.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Absolutely normal. When the car is not up to temp, the car will hesitate. The computer doesn't deal with combustion until the car reaches a certain temp.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
blumaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS / 1977 Trans AM
I see this on my 2012 SS as well. Oil pressure is just under 3/4 when the engine is cold, then drops to just below 1/2 after it's warmed up. The hesitation is there as well when cold. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable. All seems pretty normal to me.
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteyp View Post

Matt
On page 4-12 in your owner's manual it states:

Engine Oil Pressure Gage
The oil pressure gage, located in front of the shifter, shows the engine oil pressure in psi (pounds per square inch) when the engine is running. Canadian vehicles indicate pressure in kPa (kilopascals). Oil pressure may vary with engine speed, outside temperature and oil viscosity, but readings above the low pressure zone indicate the normal operating range. When the oil pressure reaches the low pressure zone, a message appears in the Driver Information Center (DIC).

If you feel as if it could be an issue, your dealership should be able to diagnose the concern.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote