Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Loving my Adams

I have a car show today and spend over 5 hours yesterday washing, claying, polishing, buffing, rubbing and here it is

Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Looks good!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 740rwhp,685rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
xVengeancex28

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
looks brand new
Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
2xSSRS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black on Black L99
Very cool. Looks great!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Great looking car! Thanks for your business, we truly appreciate it.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
Looks awesome!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
=Stephens=

Thanks guys, so here is the result of the car show. Everyone who entered won a T shirt. There were no judges, no criteria, no peoples choice award, no best of show and no trophies given. Kind of a dissapointment in my opinion. But my car looks great and I had lots of compliments and people taking lots of photos of my car. The best compliment was when a mother with her children saw my Transformers emblem on the side and they had to get their photo taken by it. That made me smile and feel it was worth my time to go to the car show.
There was a 45th there and he has owned it for 4 days and brought it. Here is a shot with it and mine and a 68. Also sporting the C5, this me and another member GM4life.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Just wondering, how long would you say the Adam's "buttery wax", after it is applied to the car, is good for. I'm sure it's not as durable as Adams "Americana" wax. Should it be treated like a solid wax or would a car wash, with Adams car shampoo, remove the product.

Nice job by the way!
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
=Stephens=

I don't use the Buttery wax. I use the Super machine polish. Because I have the porter cable polisher. I usually wax mine every 3-4 months. Depends on how much you drive and how exposed your vehicle is to rain and the elements. The test is to take a plastic ziplock bag, and rub it across your paint, if it drags then you need wax. If it's smooth then your good.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Just wondering, how long would you say the Adam's "buttery wax", after it is applied to the car, is good for. I'm sure it's not as durable as Adams "Americana" wax. Should it be treated like a solid wax or would a car wash, with Adams car shampoo, remove the product.

Nice job by the way!
Buttery will generally last at least 1-2 months on an 'average' car that sees a fair amount of driving. Because our soap is pH neutral it will not strip wax off of the car.

The best way to tell if you need to refresh your LSP (last step product) is by paying attention to how the water behaves on the finish during the wash at the final rinse.
  • If the water beads up nicely then your wax is still doing it job.
  • If the water goes flat or kind of sticks to the finish then your wax has failed or is failing and its time for a fresh coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
The test is to take a plastic ziplock bag, and rub it across your paint, if it drags then you need wax. If it's smooth then your good.
Actually the baggie test is to detect if you need to clay, not if there is protection on the finish.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Buttery will generally last at least 1-2 months on an 'average' car that sees a fair amount of driving. Because our soap is pH neutral it will not strip wax off of the car.

The best way to tell if you need to refresh your LSP (last step product) is by paying attention to how the water behaves on the finish during the wash at the final rinse.
  • If the water beads up nicely then your wax is still doing it job.
  • If the water goes flat or kind of sticks to the finish then your wax has failed or is failing and its time for a fresh coat.
So how can I remove the old wax? Clay? Also ive been told you shouldn't wax in places that get hot during summer. I live in Vegas and it gets REALLY hot here. True?
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Nick@Adams

Quote:
So how can I remove the old wax? Clay?
Clay will remove wax, but it tends to be a bit messy and it clogs up the bar. There are a few ways to strip wax in the wash process. I prefer to mix a few oz's of our All Purpose Cleaner in with my car wash to make a nice foaming strip wash.

You can also use original (blue) dawn dish soap... this is actually the reason its not recommended -it strips wax- so for this purpose its perfect!

Theres also the method of stripping one section at a time using isopropyl alcohol. This is generally better suited to stripping one section for touchup, not the entire car, though you can do it this way if you prefer.

Quote:
Also ive been told you shouldn't wax in places that get hot during summer. I live in Vegas and it gets REALLY hot here. True?
Its not that you shouldn't... its that it won't hold up as well. On a 95* summer day a car is going to have a surface temp well beyond the melting point of most natural waxes so a sealant (generally much more heat resistent) is a better choice.

In the end, wax is better than nothing though... at least its SOME protection. In a super hot climate where the car will be exposed outside a lot it just means you'll be waxing far more frequently than someone who lives in milder conditions.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
=Stephens=

Oh yah, the clay test. LOL, I knew it had to be with something with a baggy