Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Wax/polish suggestion for a boat

ok, dont give me hell, but since we are so knowledgeable about cleaning, what can you guys suggest for boats? I have to pull mine out this weekend, and was going to wax the front where I cant get from the dock. We have a dewalt 9" buffer thing, so also what pads do you suggest too?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
I recommend for Gel Coat is the " Gel Coat Labs All Marine Products ", these product work even with a PC with Orange, White pads and Red pads. They have a " All Marine Surface Sealant " that will protect your boat from the all of the marine contamination, industrial fallout, salt air, acid rain and UV inducing slow fading that one can get when not properly detail and protected. The pads your looking for that size are IMO too large and I would go for a smaller size like a 6.5 or 7.5 inch pad.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
jrisebo

Thanks, so the foam pad is for applying the wax or compound, then a lambswool to take it off, or by hand?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
Thanks, so the foam pad is for applying the wax or compound, then a lambswool to take it off, or by hand?
With a DeWalt rotary you are going to want to take it off by hand. How many polishing steps are you willing to do?
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
jrisebo

I have looked at the mequires restorartion pack too. Its a compound, polish and wax. So 3 steps.

Why take it off by hand?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
jrisebo

So also, the what are the foam pads for, putting on product, or taking off?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
I have looked at the mequires restorartion pack too. Its a compound, polish and wax. So 3 steps.

Why take it off by hand?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Three steps is good. The Meguiar's System is nice, we offer that as well.

Quote:
So also, the what are the foam pads for, putting on product, or taking off?
All pads have a level of aggressiveness, kind of like a polish and a compound does. A compound is more aggressive than a polish, for example.

With pads you have a large range of wool and foam pads. Each has a different level of aggression.

Aggressive pads (just like compounds) will remove defects or clean your paint (removing swirl marks, oxidation, etc) but they will leave behind fine swirl marks cause buffer swirls or holograms.

Using a less aggressive pad with a less aggressive polish will remove these swirl marks and leave your paint looking like glass.

The reason you remove compounds and polishes by hand is to prevent putting swirl marks/buffer swirl/holograms into the paint as you remove the product.

Use your most aggressive compound with a Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool Pad. This will remove the serious swirl marks, scratches, and oxidation.

Then team your polish up with a Lake Country White Polishing Pad. This will remove the buffer swirl from the previous step.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
jrisebo

Ok, heres what I was going to order. Im gonna get the mequires 3 step box, and the items listed. Its a big boat, so 3 of each.

Purple foamed wool for the oxidation remover
white pad for the polish
red pad for the wax

Do I have to take off by hand, or do you suggest something for the buffer?

Do I have the right sizes for the backer plate?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Your backing plate and pad size is perfect.

The pad selection is spot on as well, however I would still recommend removing each step by hand for best results. If you have a dual-action polisher, like a Porter Cable, you can out fit those with special microfiber bonnets that remvoe wax.

Remember when you are compounding and polishing you are not just applying them to the paint, you are working them against the paint in order to get the results you are after.

So work a small section, 2x2 or 3x3 (feet), at a time, and work in smooth, overlapping passes until the polish or compound begins to look clear. Then wipe off the residue with a microfiber towel, and move to the next section, until the boat is done.

When you apply the wax you want to apply it to the whole surface (adding more to the pad as needed) to spread a thin even coat over the paint. We generally don't recommend applying waxes with a rotary polisher, but you can. Just use the lowest speed setting and no pressure.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
jrisebo

Cool, thanks. I will try to do some before and after photos to see how good it turns out.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
trailerrick

Drives: 2011 Camaro
This is great advise from Todd@Autopia , I have been in the boating industry for 24 years and this is exactly how I would tell you to do it..'
Good luck and post pics when your finished..
trailerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Envious
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Twin Turbo Synergy RS Coupe
Hi I use to race offshore boats. Actually waxing the hull will slow down the boat as the wax creates bubbles which causes drag. You want to use a special wax made for the hull. Just my opinion
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I will try to do some before and after photos to see how good it turns out.
Very good, looking forward to the results. Also my email is Todd.Helme@autopia-carcare.com so feel free to shoot me any questions there or on here. I also I can give you my cell if you ever need to ask any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerrick View Post
This is great advise from Todd@Autopia , I have been in the boating industry for 24 years and this is exactly how I would tell you to do it..'
Good luck and post pics when your finished..
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
jrisebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
Hi I use to race offshore boats. Actually waxing the hull will slow down the boat as the wax creates bubbles which causes drag. You want to use a special wax made for the hull. Just my opinion
My boat is a cruiser, not looking for speed, it has bottom epoxy paint, so not going to be waxing that part either.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
jrisebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Very good, looking forward to the results. Also my email is Todd.Helme@autopia-carcare.com so feel free to shoot me any questions there or on here. I also I can give you my cell if you ever need to ask any questions.

Thanks!
Thanks for the help, just hope the stuff arrives by thursday!