Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

View Poll Results: Do you want an Edelbrock supercharger option for the LLT Camaro?
Yes 102 90.27%
No 11 9.73%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #51
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Ok if this comes to light may look into getting one!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #52
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I'll buy the turbos if you do lol

This is extremely exciting. I would love a roots. Btw sleez, isn't your meeting with the person who might be interested in doing this soon? The more options out there the better!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #53
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
wow thought this was a pipe dream!!! Insane, subscribed!
Start saving, bro. Your pipe dream is about to get real. Lol.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #54
Amarr014
BAD BEE

Drives: very fast!
I will donate my car for it and pay for the parts
2011 V6 LS M6 | straight piped | HIDs | Injen CAI| 75 Shot NX nitrous|Trifecta Tune|RX ported TB,IM and matched heads, Isolator| RX Catch Can | AAC Red Halos | AAC Red interior lighting | Red bowties | 15% tint | Tinted Tails | SS wheels and tires | SS tips| Cat delete| Arc audio 10's| subthump box|Scosche&kenwood|
Amarr014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #55
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarr014 View Post
I will donate my car for it and pay for the parts

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #56
The_Grinch

Drives: car
OK, you Forced Induction guys/gals bring me up to speed on how this would be better than the current Forced induction options already on the market.

Last edited by The_Grinch; 07-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
The_Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #57
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Drives: 4x4 Turbo
Hi !

from my experiance with roots blowers i can note :

in my personal opinion ... Roots blower need boost control with bypass-valve when used at high compression NA engines , to keep the boost low at low to medium engine speeds up to 4500 RPM , i dont like weak stock conrods looking out of the block !

the centrifugal charger like Vortech-V3 is doing exact this boost curve without external boost control !!

So for an build engine with rods and pistons the roots charger is the better option for low end tourqe and higher power !

Roots blowers without integrated intercoolers get high chargtemps , not good for power !

Installation is a bit tricky for external heat exchanger , water lines and waterpumps , also a + point for the Vortech Centrifugal Charger , here you can use a simple air to air intercooler in the front !

regards ASH@IPF-TUNING
ASH@IPF-TUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #58
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
that's what i'm talkin' 'bout!!!
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #59
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Hi !

do a full load run gear 1-6 and your chargetemp will rise to the moon !

im sorry , but only at part load ***** driving the aircon had enough capacity to cool down the intake temps below ambient temp !

reg ASH@IPF-TUNING
Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #60
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
you just run the Super Chiller.......trust me I have one on my Maggie and my temps don't see 130* on a 0-140mph run on a 95* day.
TVS2300 ,Hendrix Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch, Dana 60 3.73, DSS 1400HP Axles,JRe cam & LaMotta Performance tuned,LPE Fuel, AI Super Chiller,MT ET Streets
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #61
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
There is always something to learn on this forum...no matter who you are. That's why I love it.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #62
ASH@IPF-TUNING

Hello !

Im sorry , but the sense in the information in my reply was not easy to catch !

The Chiller is working here in the US .. with speedlimits !

We live in Germany .. and in Germany there is NO GENERAL SPEEDLIMIT !

So i can do a power run from standstill 1-6 gear and drive 30min full load at TOP Speed over 190MPH !!!

in this situation ... im sorry to tell you ... the chiller will not work !!

that is all i wanted to explain ... not less or more !

regards ASH@IPF-TUNING
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #63
Turbo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH@EDS View Post
Hello !

Im sorry , but the sense in the information in my reply was not easy to catch !

The Chiller is working here in the US .. with speedlimits !

We live in Germany .. and in Germany there is NO GENERAL SPEEDLIMIT !

So i can do a power run from standstill 1-6 gear and drive 30min full load at TOP Speed over 190MPH !!!

in this situation ... im sorry to tell you ... the chiller will not work !!

that is all i wanted to explain ... not less or more !

regards ASH@IPF-TUNING

Go ahead and do that on a bottom end that isn't forged with FI and see how long that lasts.......I bet it won't be 30 min.... lol
TVS2300 ,Hendrix Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch, Dana 60 3.73, DSS 1400HP Axles,JRe cam & LaMotta Performance tuned,LPE Fuel, AI Super Chiller,MT ET Streets
Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #64
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
So I guess the Texas mile is out of the question. only a mile
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #65
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
more like the "texas 30 mile" is out of the question. Does anyone think a stock camaro can take being at full throttle for 30 minutes straight?

Tracy, if you don't have a donor car for the twin screw setup by next March, i'm in!
Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #66
Amarr014
BAD BEE

Drives: very fast!
I will be able to donate mine
2011 V6 LS M6 | straight piped | HIDs | Injen CAI| 75 Shot NX nitrous|Trifecta Tune|RX ported TB,IM and matched heads, Isolator| RX Catch Can | AAC Red Halos | AAC Red interior lighting | Red bowties | 15% tint | Tinted Tails | SS wheels and tires | SS tips| Cat delete| Arc audio 10's| subthump box|Scosche&kenwood|
Amarr014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #67
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
more like the "texas 30 mile" is out of the question. Does anyone think a stock camaro can take being at full throttle for 30 minutes straight?

Tracy, if you don't have a donor car for the twin screw setup by next March, i'm in!
Stock Camaro or Stock engine with FI? With sensible boost I think it should be able to handle 30 minutes...

You want to see some insane testing watch this... sorry, I know... Ford EcoBoost.... BUT the LLT is actually pretty similar to the EcoBoost, without the turbos... These Ford torture tests are what made me feel better about tuning the Flex...

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #68
Turbo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Stock Camaro or Stock engine with FI? With sensible boost I think it should be able to handle 30 minutes...

You want to see some insane testing watch this... sorry, I know... Ford EcoBoost.... BUT the LLT is actually pretty similar to the EcoBoost, without the turbos... These Ford torture tests are what made me feel better about tuning the Flex...

That engine was built for boost IE forged and designed that way for a reason.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #69
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99 View Post
That engine was built for boost IE forged and designed that way for a reason.
Read the specs on the LLT... very similar... Looking at the specs off the LLT you would think it was built for boost too!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #70
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Read the specs on the LLT... very similar... Looking at the specs off the LLT you would think it was built for boost too!
Exactly. Only thing is we run higher CR than you guys do. Other than that, very similar design.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #71
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Exactly. Only thing is we run higher CR than you guys do. Other than that, very similar design.
Trying to find that dang magazine article... you know the GM High Tech Performance one... that was a good write up on the LLT....

And yeah, the higher CR... which is why I said "sensible" boost!

found the article:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...v6_engine.html

Last edited by scrming; 07-10-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #72
Turbo99

Aluminum-intensive construction extends to the pistons, which are manufactured as cast aluminum polymer coated oil cooled pistons, with a fully floating wristpin, and these pistons are considerably lighter than conventional pistons. Less weight means less reciprocating mass in the engine, which in turn means less inertia and greater operating efficiency. Moreover, the V-6 VVT pistons are crafted with a number of features that enhance durability and reduce noise and harshness, including a high-tech polymer coating and floating wrist pins. The V-6 VVT engine family was developed with pressure-actuated oil squirters in all applications. Three jet assemblies in the block hold a pair of oil-squirting nozzles that drench the underside of each piston and the surrounding cylinder wall with an extra layer of cooling, friction-reducing oil. The jets reduce piston temperature, which in turn allows the engine to produce more power without reducing long-term durability. The extra layer of oil on the cylinder walls and wristpin further dampens noise emanating from the pistons.

I think the bold will be your down fall. Cast will fail on an extended run of boost. Maybe not the first time but it will kill the ring landings.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #73
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Quote:
Aluminum-intensive construction extends to the pistons, which are manufactured as cast aluminum polymer coated oil cooled pistons, with a fully floating wristpin, and these pistons are considerably lighter than conventional pistons. Less weight means less reciprocating mass in the engine, which in turn means less inertia and greater operating efficiency. Moreover, the V-6 VVT pistons are crafted with a number of features that enhance durability and reduce noise and harshness, including a high-tech polymer coating and floating wrist pins. The V-6 VVT engine family was developed with pressure-actuated oil squirters in all applications. Three jet assemblies in the block hold a pair of oil-squirting nozzles that drench the underside of each piston and the surrounding cylinder wall with an extra layer of cooling, friction-reducing oil. The jets reduce piston temperature, which in turn allows the engine to produce more power without reducing long-term durability. The extra layer of oil on the cylinder walls and wristpin further dampens noise emanating from the pistons.

I think the bold will be your down fall. Cast will fail on an extended run of boost. Maybe not the first time but it will kill the ring landings.
Agreed. We are still waiting on forged pistons. Evidently they are not easy to make for a DI motor. We also have to worry about the crank. While it is forged, it has a very small diameter. We are going to need to go with some stronger material if we continue to up the power.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #74
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:

Another point the LLT has in common with the EcoBoost... The EcoBoost has cast piston!

"High-temperature cast aluminum alloy with lowfriction coated skirts, lowtension rings with direct injection bowl"

Yes, the EB has a lower CR (10.0:1)... but again that's why i said SENSIBLE boost!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #75
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Agreed. We are still waiting on forged pistons. Evidently they are not easy to make for a DI motor. We also have to worry about the crank. While it is forged, it has a very small diameter. We are going to need to go with some stronger material if we continue to up the power.
Livernois is now offering forged piston for the EB 3.5... However seriously labor intensive to install! Probably a couple thousand when all is said and done!

Forged on the left, stock cast on the right:

Tags
e-force, edelbrock, forced induction, llt, supercharger