Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Fiveg56

Drives: -
One Bucket Wash...

Today I did a little experiment. A few weeks back I completed a full, three step, correction on the trunk of my 2001 Impala. The paint was near perfect.

I changed my washing method today to see if it had any effect on the paint.

I took an Adam’s wash bucket and pulled the grit guard out. I filled it with Adam’s Car Wash soap and water. I used an old Wal-Mart “microfiber” car wash sponge. I rinsed the car (which was very dirty, rain spots, bird poop, large amount of dirt on paint, ect.) I then went to work washing the car, using only one bucket without a grit guard. I washed like I did before I was "shown the light"...top to bottom, one sponge, using the same bucket for rinsing and washing. I then dried the car with a Wal-Mart “microfiber” drying towel.

After the wash, I was quite impressed with the way the car turned out. It looked great, and I observed absolutely no imperfections in the corrected area.

So...swirls must develop over time?

Thoughts?
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Hmmmmm. The dirtier the paint the more damage "improper" washing techniques will have. Also paint hardness and the lighting you viewed your car in will have a dramatic impact on how much damage you can see. If you washed it in the evening or late afternoon then you may not have seen the true condition of the paint.

I have witnessed just one bad wash trash a car that looked perfect, so I personally wouldn't take the chance.

If you car is reasonably clean (light dust) and you use soft materials, then your risk is minimal. But if there is considerable road pitch, dirt, and grime, then one wash could be all she wrote.

Good luck.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Fiveg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Hmmmmm. The dirtier the paint the more damage "improper" washing techniques will have. Also paint hardness and the lighting you viewed your car in will have a dramatic impact on how much damage you can see. If you washed it in the evening or late afternoon then you may not have seen the true condition of the paint.

I have witnessed just one bad wash trash a car that looked perfect, so I personally wouldn't take the chance.

If you car is reasonably clean (light dust) and you use soft materials, then your risk is minimal. But if there is considerable road pitch, dirt, and grime, then one wash could be all she wrote.

Good luck.
It was just an experiment...I have no thoughts of going back to washing this way. I viewed the car in direct sunlight, and could not find any imperfections in the corrected area. I did rinse the car with a strong stream of water before the wash. After the car gets dirty again, I'm going to see if waterless wash does any damage.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
KBsSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Swirls do not appear overnight, its an ongoing process. I think everybody will get them at some point and need to do a paint correction process.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
very interesting, thanks for filling us in on your experiment.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
StarkCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary
no Paul , i refuse to get swirls. I wont let it happennnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!
StarkCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 99 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
It was just an experiment...I have no thoughts of going back to washing this way. I viewed the car in direct sunlight, and could not find any imperfections in the corrected area. I did rinse the car with a strong stream of water before the wash. After the car gets dirty again, I'm going to see if waterless wash does any damage.

Trust me. The stove is hot! Don't mess with it.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Fiveg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
Trust me. The stove is hot! Don't mess with it.
LOL
Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Try doing that with a black car.. especially a Camaro and GM's crappy paint job..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote