Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
JFR1

Drives: 2011 1LS. Garaged:Stock 69 Z28
3M Vinyl Stripes - Clean and Restore? Help Please

I have 3M Silver Metallic BumbleBee stripe kit installed over Imperial blue metallic. Stripes are 18 mos old - purchased from a well known Camaro5 Vendor with solid reputation - but claims no warranty on stripes. 3M or other. I Live in FLA. Hot sun. Car garaged about 50% of time. Stripes have dulled and several small stains from trees / bird sh#t.

Complicating matter - I Avery Nano Fusion Clear Bra installed over the front hood section. I really don't mind replacing the stripes - but 1. They should not have failed - as least this soon. 2. Unless I want to replace 2 sections of clear bra - I could razor cut stripe at edge of clear-bra and replace portion not covered by bra.

Any similar experiences? Suggestions? How to clean / restore?

Appreciate any and all help.
Attached Images

JFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
I started a thread exactly like this a few weeks ago. The 3M silver does not hold up. Mine lasted 18mo and were dull and spotted

see here

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227548
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
JFR1

Drives: 2011 1LS. Garaged:Stock 69 Z28
Sorry - couldnt find. Any products available to restore shine or remove stains?

How hard to take your stripes off? any paint damage? Thanks
JFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Fiveg56

Drives: -
I love the look, but the vinyl stripes just do not hold up. You can’t buff or pressure wash vinyl, as it will be damaged. I would suspect that the clear-bra will have to come off to get those stripes off. It almost looks like the color is bleeding?? I wouldn’t let anyone try to trim around the strips with a razor; the margin of error is just too small for me. If they push too hard, you will be doing some repainting. If it was me, I would have a professional pull the stripes off and leave them off. Clear-bra would have to be re-applied in the front though.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Sorry to hear this, a friend has one that the strips fail him also and he had them remove. He polish the car and had his new strips painted on the car and then waited about 3 months and then been using the Blackfire Wet Daimond sealant I gave him to use on it. He was not a happy camper but after all the work and money he is now happy.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote