Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
jshaf

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Speakers now or later?

on 7-2-2012 I am getting a Sub and amp installed, I have the non-BA system that is 80hz 6 speaker setup. would you go a head and add the speakers now or can I stick with the stock ones for a while? is there any danger that the new amp (MRP-M500 500 Watt alpine) will damage the stock speakers?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
No danger with the stock speakers, as long as you keep the power at an appropriate level, and don't crank the speakers up so loud they distort.

There isn't a huge advantage to doing the speakers now, as all the work is completely different. i.e. You don't have to pull the door panels or rear deck panel to change the amp, but you do have to pull them to change the speakers.

I too have a non-BA Camaro, and installed my amp the right way.

Check out these two posts:

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...1&postcount=16

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230255
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
jshaf

will the amp I have installed help the stock speakers sound better? I really don't know much about audio side of cars. I figured if the amp affected the stock speakers adversely then maybe I should change those at the same time. if it helps them slightly then maybe I wouldn't have to change them out at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
No danger with the stock speakers, as long as you keep the power at an appropriate level, and don't crank the speakers up so loud they distort.

There isn't a huge advantage to doing the speakers now, as all the work is completely different. i.e. You don't have to pull the door panels or rear deck panel to change the amp, but you do have to pull them to change the speakers.

I too have a non-BA Camaro, and installed my amp the right way.

Check out these two posts:

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...1&postcount=16

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230255
Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
I haven't heard one yet but from reading it is a big improvement when you throw some good clean power to them. I'll be doing mine pretty soon. I'm going without doing the replacements until I hear what it sounds like. I imagine the sub is going to drown out the front though. We'll see.
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
will the amp I have installed help the stock speakers sound better? I really don't know much about audio side of cars. I figured if the amp affected the stock speakers adversely then maybe I should change those at the same time. if it helps them slightly then maybe I wouldn't have to change them out at all.
When I originally installed my amp, I did just the 5-channel amp and sub. I had the front speakers in hand, but didn't have time to install them that weekend. I ran around with the stock speakers and my amp for about a week, and there was a significant improvement. I upgraded the front speakers the next weekend, and ran the stock rears for almost a month.

Bottom line: clean power in moderation will not harm the stock speakers and will improve their performance.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
jshaf

Quote:
When I originally installed my amp, I did just the 5-channel amp and sub. I had the front speakers in hand, but didn't have time to install them that weekend. I ran around with the stock speakers and my amp for about a week, and there was a significant improvement. I upgraded the front speakers the next weekend, and ran the stock rears for almost a month.

Bottom line: clean power in moderation will not harm the stock speakers and will improve their performance.

Thanks, you answered my question perfectly, just wanted to make sure I was understanding what I was doing was correct. wanted to make sure the stock speakers would be ok at the very least. I don't have alot of time to reschedule visits to the shop to have upgrades since I live 45 minutes from there, have to do it all in one shot, no time for errors! Honestly this forum makes being a camaro owner that much better!! thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I really appreciate it!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
jeepguy_1980

The hardest part with the non-BA Camaro is wiring the amp. We do not have a wiring harness in the trunk. I strongly suggest you make sure that they do it right.

There isn't a remote amp signal anywhere in the car, but if you look at the harness I used, I pulled a remote amp signal from the stock head unit and ran it to my amp, along with the 4 speaker channels. Do not let them do something half ass, like tapping into the cigarette lighter for an amp signal.

Using anything other than the line from the HU will not cause things like your door chimes, turn signals, etc... to function properly as it does from the factory.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
bthibodeaux

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Thanks, you answered my question perfectly, just wanted to make sure I was understanding what I was doing was correct. wanted to make sure the stock speakers would be ok at the very least. I don't have alot of time to reschedule visits to the shop to have upgrades since I live 45 minutes from there, have to do it all in one shot, no time for errors! Honestly this forum makes being a camaro owner that much better!! thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I really appreciate it!

Your original question is a great one, and yes, I agree that an amp upgrade pretty much always will make stock speakers sound better. However, these days there is also even another potential upgrade to consider after the amp before opting to change out the speakers. From what I have read recently there are some pretty sophisticated new sound processors that can make factory systems sound so much better that we may not even want to change out the speakers once one of these is installed and properly set up. It would be good to hear from some of the guys with these. I recently did an amp and subwoofer upgrade to my BA system, and am on the fence about whether to go sound processor next or speakers. Although I have improved sound overall, the front still sounds a bit hollow, with a lack of that warm sound, and good imaging that really make a great sounding system.

Thanks
2011 Black 2SSRS M6 Vert, Nitto Invos on HRE P40s (20X11 rear, 20X9 front), lowered 1" on Pfadt coilovers, Eibach sway bars, American Racing frame brace, Brembo big brakes (16" front, 15" rear), ZR1 dual disc clutch, MGW Shifter, 3.91 gears with Eaton Truetrac and LPW cover, DSS 1000HP axles, DSS 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Magnacharger with RDS Stage II and 2.8" pulley, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, GM CNC ported heads, American Racing LT headers with high flow cats, custom 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and resonator (630 RWHP).

bthibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
jshaf

Quote:
The hardest part with the non-BA Camaro is wiring the amp. We do not have a wiring harness in the trunk. I strongly suggest you make sure that they do it right.

There isn't a remote amp signal anywhere in the car, but if you look at the harness I used, I pulled a remote amp signal from the stock head unit and ran it to my amp, along with the 4 speaker channels. Do not let them do something half ass, like tapping into the cigarette lighter for an amp signal.

Using anything other than the line from the HU will not cause things like your door chimes, turn signals, etc... to function properly as it does from the factory.
To install for my car I had to buy a "amp install kit" here is what is is supposed to have in it

*****17' 4 AWG power wire, 3' 4 AWG ground wire, 17' 18 AWG remote wire, 12' 12 AWG speaker wire<LI class="property included-item">16' spiral shield RCA cable, 80-amp maxi fuse holder, 100-amp maxi fuse<LI class="property included-item">4 AWG ground lug, 18 AWG spade lug, four 12 AWG spade lugs, two 4 AWG crimp ring terminals, two 4 AWG crimp spade terminals, 18 AWG butt splice, 4 AWG I.D. snap bushing, 8" x 6" wire ties *****

sounds like it is equiped to run it the way you suggest I think, will probably have to ask a few questions, just not sure what to ask exactly.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
To install for my car I had to buy a "amp install kit" here is what is is supposed to have in it

*****17' 4 AWG power wire, 3' 4 AWG ground wire, 17' 18 AWG remote wire, 12' 12 AWG speaker wire<LI class="property included-item">16' spiral shield RCA cable, 80-amp maxi fuse holder, 100-amp maxi fuse<LI class="property included-item">4 AWG ground lug, 18 AWG spade lug, four 12 AWG spade lugs, two 4 AWG crimp ring terminals, two 4 AWG crimp spade terminals, 18 AWG butt splice, 4 AWG I.D. snap bushing, 8" x 6" wire ties *****

sounds like it is equiped to run it the way you suggest I think, will probably have to ask a few questions, just not sure what to ask exactly.
You will need a Camaro specific harness to get the amp signal, and to feed the amplified signals into your doors. You can also get the amplified signal into the doors by cutting the factory harness or by drilling your doors.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
jshaf

I am clueless on this, just assuming they had me purchase what was needed. might have to give them a call and ask them if a harness is needed
Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
I am clueless on this, just assuming they had me purchase what was needed. might have to give them a call and ask them if a harness is needed
It's not "needed." But if you don't want them to cut your factory wiring, it is.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
jshaf

Quote:
It's not "needed." But if you don't want them to cut your factory wiring, it is.

OK, gotcha....thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
jshaf

had the Alpine MRX Series 710W Class D Digital Multichannel Amplifier installed instead, talked to the installer for quite a bit and decided to switch to MRX amp, had to pay extra for the LOC. wanted an amp to power both speakers and sub and the previous amp didn't do that. tech showed me where he ran everything before putting the car back together. dude was actually really straight forward and explained alot of things I didn't understand. said he had been installing audio equipment since the 80's. It does sound better but I am pretty sure I am going to change some speakers, now just gotta figure out what I want to go with.

I know that alot of people rag on Best Buy but I have had pretty good success with the local one in Morgantown WV. I don't trust there sales people entirely but there installers seem to know there stuff, always defer to them when in doubt and need a recommendation!

P.S. double checked all electronic functions I could think of and have yet to find an issue. everything works as before, did have to reset the clock though