Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
BreakingBad
i am the one who knocks

Drives: '12 2LT/RS
What is involved in getting an aftermarket head unit?

So there are a myriad of threads on here about aftermarket radio installs, but 90% of the threads discuss a specific question - IE, non-bose system, questions about wiring harnesses, etc.

My questions:

I don't see the point in going in-dash DVD....i have a good garmin GPS unit i use for directions, so I planned on buying a Pioneer head unit rather than a DVD unit.

Crutchfield says I need a $400 adapter (@50% cost). C5 threads say many people had to buy that Metra or Scosche but almost all of them are in-dash DVD systems.

I want to add an aftermarket head unit, components, 6x9's and subs.

It will be the head unit at first, components in the doors second, then 6x9's last. How will this tie into the already installed Bose system? Can it? In other words, can I use an aftermarket head unit and utilize the bose speakers until I upgrade them as well?

I got very irritated when all the details were pointing in buying a 'gm factory integration adapter', $200, head unit $200, metra/scosche kit $250....i'm not effing spending almost $700 to install a friggin' radio. I hope I'm confusing something.

help!
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
So there are a myriad of threads on here about aftermarket radio installs, but 90% of the threads discuss a specific question - IE, non-bose system, questions about wiring harnesses, etc.

My questions:

I don't see the point in going in-dash DVD....i have a good garmin GPS unit i use for directions, so I planned on buying a Pioneer head unit rather than a DVD unit.

Crutchfield says I need a $400 adapter (@50% cost). C5 threads say many people had to buy that Metra or Scosche but almost all of them are in-dash DVD systems.

I want to add an aftermarket head unit, components, 6x9's and subs.

It will be the head unit at first, components in the doors second, then 6x9's last. How will this tie into the already installed Bose system? Can it? In other words, can I use an aftermarket head unit and utilize the bose speakers until I upgrade them as well?

I got very irritated when all the details were pointing in buying a 'gm factory integration adapter', $200, head unit $200, metra/scosche kit $250....i'm not effing spending almost $700 to install a friggin' radio. I hope I'm confusing something.

help!
Hate to bust your bubble but you have 2 choices in dash kits - the Metra Kit, or the Scosche kit. They are $250-350 depending on where you get them from. Using one of them is the only way to replace the factory radio.

The reason you must purchase one of these crazy expensive kits is that the radio in the Camaro is a multifunction device. It controls the headlight delay, chime volume (as well as generating said chime), it creates the turn signal click noise, auto door lock control, etc. Also, the HVAC controls are part of the radio face. If you remove the factory radio, you must have something that will retain these functions. That is why we have to use these expensive kits.

Now you can put any radio you want into the kit - you can buy a $125 Alpine and put it in there if you want. The dash kit will allow you to use any radio you like. I will say that the benefit of using a DVD/touchscreen radio is the ability to add a back up camera. You only need the kit and the radio. The integration adapter is part of the kit.

Also, the radio system is Boston, not Bose. Bose would have been much better than Boston......(IMO)

That help?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692

Last edited by darkrider01; 06-20-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: more info.
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
BreakingBad
i am the one who knocks

Drives: '12 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
Hate to bust your bubble but you have 2 choices in dash kits - the Metra Kit, or the Scosche kit. They are $250-350 depending on where you get them from. Using one of them is the only way to replace the factory radio.

The reason you must purchase one of these crazy expensive kits is that the radio in the Camaro is a multifunction device. It controls the headlight delay, chime volume (as well as generating said chime), it creates the turn signal click noise, auto door lock control, etc. Also, the HVAC controls are part of the radio face. If you remove the factory radio, you must have something that will retain these functions. That is why we have to use these expensive kits.

Now you can put any radio you want into the kit - you can buy a $125 Alpine and put it in there if you want. The dash kit will allow you to use any radio you like. I will say that the benefit of using a DVD/touchscreen radio is the ability to add a back up camera. You only need the kit and the radio. The integration adapter is part of the kit.

Also, the radio system is Boston, not Bose. Bose would have been much better than Boston......(IMO)

That help?
A lot. Yeah sorry, confused the names Bose vs BA.

I have a rear view camera in my 2LT, if I go DVD can it utilize the same camera?

And are there any indications yet which is a better dash kit to get Metra vs Scosche? Do the kits retain ALL functions lost when changing the head unit?

Also, best place to buy either kit?
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul

Last edited by BreakingBad; 06-20-2012 at 11:41 AM.
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
You can also get the Alpine dash kit.
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote