Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Lifter noise maybe?

Just recently like maybe a week what it sounds like on start up after sitting a few hours or overnight I hear a Tapping for like maybe 2 to 3 seconds on start up never did this before so will this problem get worse or does it have to last longer than that for the dealer to take care of it. Everything is fine oil level is full the oil pressure reads correct the oil temp is fine as well. Any one else have had this problem? I have a L99 btw
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Account Suspended

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Lifters can bleed down overnight, but a few hours seems like very little time. I don't know the tolerances on new GM parts, but back in the day, there were "GM lifters" but they had different tolerance specs. You could even get oversized lifters; one of my 'holy grail' moments was finding two original .010" oversize GM lifters that solved an oil pressure issue in my 455. I always wondered what that '0' stamped on that lifter bore meant. I needed oversize on one lifter, bought both! When will I find another one? Probably never.

Anyway, could you relate a little more info? Like how many miles and other issues the engine may have had, and what was done to correct them? Also, did you note the actual oil pressure, cold and hot, before this was a problem and could you report the hot/cold pressures now?

While I am not expert on L99s and LS3s yet, it's still a pushrod V8, and while I may not know the answer right away, with more info maybe somebody else will know
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
KARBON

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
There is a TSB on this,and plenty threads, use the search ...
*RPM TH400 with Brake
*Precision 3600 Converter
*850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
KARBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I did search and alot of things came up when i did search alot of cam change and l99 to ls3 conversions. I guess when i search ill have to be really specific when i type in l99 lifter problem.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote