Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Kevinshawnm
Biggz
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, Indiana
Posts: 557
Alpine INE-Z928HD

Will this work with the KTX-CMO?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
Unfortunately, that kit will not work for the Alpine receiver you are interested in. I saw that receiver last week and it's awesome! Alpine is currently working on dash kits for a number of vehicles specifically for this receiver, but according to the vehicles our rep mentioned, the Camaro is nowhere in the near future. The only GM vehicles he mentioned were the truck and SUV lineup, but even those were further down the list.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Kevinshawnm
Biggz
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, Indiana
Posts: 557
Have you heard if Alpine plans to make a kit to fit the Camaro?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
Our rep mentioned the vehicles they are working towards first and the Camaro was not mentioned at all right now. The first vehicles they will adapt to will be European vehicles due to the market for these cars overseas. The only Chevy vehicles mentioned were the lineup of truck and SUVs (Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban), and these were at the end of thier list. Hopefully they will pick it up after they get some of the other vehicles taken care of!
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Kevinshawnm
Biggz
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, Indiana
Posts: 557
Thanks for the update.
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
You're very welcome Kevin.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nationwide
Posts: 3,736
Alpine said it would fit a standard double DIN kit. I guess the issue is the wiring that is different from previous head units. As usual, Alpine is late releasing this unit and will be even later releasing a install kit. I've been wanting this unit but may have to go with something else to avoid waiting another year.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
y2jdmbfan
 
Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchfieldBrooke View Post
Our rep mentioned the vehicles they are working towards first and the Camaro was not mentioned at all right now. The first vehicles they will adapt to will be European vehicles due to the market for these cars overseas. The only Chevy vehicles mentioned were the lineup of truck and SUVs (Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban), and these were at the end of thier list. Hopefully they will pick it up after they get some of the other vehicles taken care of!
Brooke,

Will the INE-Z928HD work with the Metra Kit?

Thanks,

Y2J
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
CamaroSS45
Annihilator
 
CamaroSS45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th ERL-427 F1X
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KY
Posts: 300
I'm working it "real time" ..... Sadly the Alpine kit (NO WAY without a major cut and likely some glass work!) the Metra is "close" but I am going to have to mod it. Width clearance is not an issue - but I need to mod to gain about 2/3 of an inch from the top and the bottom - so working it....

The unit is mounted and looks massive and awesome but no faceplate at the moment and still looks good

I should determine how much to trim the metra and keep it clean looking this weekend.
CamaroSS45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Brooke,

Will the INE-Z928HD work with the Metra Kit?

Thanks,

Y2J
Looks like CamaroSS got to your question before I did, which is great that he is currently working on it and can give you specific info on the mods needed.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS45 View Post
I'm working it "real time" ..... Sadly the Alpine kit (NO WAY without a major cut and likely some glass work!) the Metra is "close" but I am going to have to mod it. Width clearance is not an issue - but I need to mod to gain about 2/3 of an inch from the top and the bottom - so working it....

The unit is mounted and looks massive and awesome but no faceplate at the moment and still looks good

I should determine how much to trim the metra and keep it clean looking this weekend.
You should post a pic of it in the Metra kit when you get done! Good luck.

Last edited by CrutchfieldBrooke; 08-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
y2jdmbfan
 
Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS45 View Post
I'm working it "real time" ..... Sadly the Alpine kit (NO WAY without a major cut and likely some glass work!) the Metra is "close" but I am going to have to mod it. Width clearance is not an issue - but I need to mod to gain about 2/3 of an inch from the top and the bottom - so working it....

The unit is mounted and looks massive and awesome but no faceplate at the moment and still looks good

I should determine how much to trim the metra and keep it clean looking this weekend.
Any update on this? I am very interesting in picking up the unit to replace my Kenwood DNX-9960. I almost ran out the other day and bought one, but luckily did a little deeper digging into it. I had originally thought Alpine said it would fit into any Double Din opening.

Thanks,

Y2J
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
CamaroSS45
Annihilator
 
CamaroSS45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th ERL-427 F1X
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KY
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Any update on this? I am very interesting in picking up the unit to replace my Kenwood DNX-9960. I almost ran out the other day and bought one, but luckily did a little deeper digging into it. I had originally thought Alpine said it would fit into any Double Din opening.

Thanks,

Y2J
I am close to done - you need to be handy and comfortable with a dremel - but will shoot some pics either tomorrow or first of the week. Like I said - the width is not an issue but the height has to be trimmed from the metra - about a 1/2 inch between the top and the bottom. I am now trying to clean it up - paint - and make it flow polished looking...

If you are also familiar with the Metra "back" piece - that which connects to the Double Din for mounting - it also needs to be trimmed but not a big deal because it won't be visible. You then need to bring it up about 1/2 " - again just switching holes and propping up. If you are familiar with the kit - dremel - and no fears - u will be good....

Mine is mounted - solid - stable - working - and just finishing the mod to the front bezel.

I would not look for a Scosche or Alpine kit to ever support this configuration without MAJOR MAJOR mod because the height goes right into their HVAC controls (which mine have all been toasted as it is)...

If you are looking for another option - I will make you a VERY VERY sweet deal on a brand new DNX7190 which I am replacing - no mod required and MUCH MUCH faster than the previous year models.

More to come.
CamaroSS45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #14
normand30
 
Drives: 2ss
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18
alpine 928hd

Ok time for the real scoop on the new alpine 8 inch(see attachments). I have it installed in my SS. Lets just say Im disappointed. Also, I have a 2 12" sub box for sale. Purchased from subthump. Fits nice. make an offer.
Attached Images
  
normand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
y2jdmbfan
 
Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by normand30 View Post
Ok time for the real scoop on the new alpine 8 inch(see attachments). I have it installed in my SS. Lets just say Im disappointed. Also, I have a 2 12" sub box for sale. Purchased from subthump. Fits nice. make an offer.
Thanks for the pics! Are you being sarcastic when you are saying you are disappointed? Did you do the work yourself?
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
CrutchfieldBrooke
 
CrutchfieldBrooke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norton, VA
Posts: 333
Are you disappointed in the Alpine unit itself, or the way the installation turned out?
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
normand30
 
Drives: 2ss
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18
Sorry for the late reply. The install was ok. Im very disappointed with the alpine unit. The interface is lacking extremely. A unit of this magnitude should have all the bells and whistles when it comes to features. I switched from the kenwood 9960 because it was too slow. This unit isnt really that much faster and cant do half the stuff the kenwood can do when it comes to user interface/compatiblity. Only advantage over kenwood is the 8 inch if that can be considered an advantage.

quick pros/cons:

pros- screen, sturdy buttons, good hardware construction, quality sound processing,

cons-no mp4 support, song names dont scroll, cant use both ipod/usb at the same time, cant match button color with dash lights, no voice command, etc.

If you guys have any specifc questions about the unit feel free.
normand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
CamaroSS45
Annihilator
 
CamaroSS45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th ERL-427 F1X
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KY
Posts: 300
Solid review - all of these are give and take and again good review. I had the Clarion NX702 in my second place of the new ones out this year. I just moved out of a Kenwood and it's steady / solid / love Garmin - it's just the dated UI that kills me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by normand30 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. The install was ok. Im very disappointed with the alpine unit. The interface is lacking extremely. A unit of this magnitude should have all the bells and whistles when it comes to features. I switched from the kenwood 9960 because it was too slow. This unit isnt really that much faster and cant do half the stuff the kenwood can do when it comes to user interface/compatiblity. Only advantage over kenwood is the 8 inch if that can be considered an advantage.

quick pros/cons:

pros- screen, sturdy buttons, good hardware construction, quality sound processing,

cons-no mp4 support, song names dont scroll, cant use both ipod/usb at the same time, cant match button color with dash lights, no voice command, etc.

If you guys have any specifc questions about the unit feel free.
CamaroSS45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Kevinshawnm
Biggz
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, Indiana
Posts: 557
Looks good
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.