Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Stephen12ZL1


 
Stephen12ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Z/28
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 4,193
I heard the answer is "no". I plan on this throttle body, ported snout with 2.5 pulley, air intake, tune. That should be enough...lol!
__________________
'15 Z/28 #325 black a/c & stereo. 2:10.9 VIR Full 1:44.74 Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit
'12 ZL1 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
KD Innovations
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staging Lanes
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33x View Post
Nice, this is probably going to be my first mod.
You may need tuning for this mod to realize gains. I installed one on our ZL1 and was surprised to lose 12 RWHP. After tuning, it gained it all back and then some.

On most CTS-V's we gain 12-17 RWHP just from bolting the LS3/LS7 TB on but there is no predetermined result on how the air model will affect the calibration. It won't hurt anything but you may have a bit of a power loss until you tune.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
IcePick06
 
IcePick06's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 AGM ZL1; '07 Ducati 1098
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tha OCizzle
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Innovations View Post
You may need tuning for this mod to realize gains. I installed one on our ZL1 and was surprised to lose 12 RWHP. After tuning, it gained it all back and then some.

On most CTS-V's we gain 12-17 RWHP just from bolting the LS3/LS7 TB on but there is no predetermined result on how the air model will affect the calibration. It won't hurt anything but you may have a bit of a power loss until you tune.
Wow, the whole point of me looking at this cheap mod for now was the fact that you could GAIN (NOT LOSE) HP without tuning and ruining your factory warranty. This info has sort of put a pause on my decision...

Question: Did you guys bolt the 90mm TB onto an automatic or manual (stock) ZL1?
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
RoketRdr
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 387
This is why just about all the tuners came out and stated not to make intake changes without a tune because of what they found with the MAP tuning (scalar values an offset) on the ZL1. GM made changes that were necessary for this car to meet emissions that weren't necessary for the CTS-V's. They also did it to purposely protect themselves on fraudulent warranty claims. If you just swap intakes or TB's the car will run lean with the factory values because the pressure reading will be off and the ECM swaps to a different fuel table as a protection mode. So yes there is power to be had with changing intakes and TB's but it will require changes to the MAP tables to safely and effectively do it. Yes...void the warranty. GM learned their lesson on the ZR1 and CTS-V's.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
GM learned their lesson on the ZR1 and CTS-V's.
Can you elaborate on this. I haven't followed the history of modding either of these cars.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
RoketRdr
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
Can you elaborate on this. I haven't followed the history of modding either of these cars.
Well it wasn't those cars specifically as much as it was any car being modded. But when it came to their cars with the high dollar engines/transmissions they realized they had to something to protect themselves from fraud and abuse. I'm sure you know GM has folks watching these forums and they are very well aware of what's being done to the cars and the mods that are made. Believe it or not GM does know that people want to mod their cars and that have that in mind when they are designing some of the powertrain aspects. They make information available to the aftermarket companies so they can build their products. The problem has become abuse of manufacturers warranty and letting them foot the bill for repairs that should have been the owners expense. Making heavy mods that blow up an engine and then removing all the aftermarket parts and tuning to make it look like the car was still stock is abuse of warranty. GM learned their lesson so this is why the ECM's are now set-up to log a change in factory tuning. If you blow up a $20K LS9 because you modded your car it shouldn't be GM's responsibility to pay for the engine replacement. After paying fraudulent warranty claims on Duramax's, Camaro's, CTS-V's and ZR1's they decided to do something about it. All these vehicles have high dollar engine/transmission combo's so of course they are the target of the new software that logs changes.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
That makes sense. Too bad theres not an acceptable level of mods or a list of approved tuners who could make "reasonable" changes that wouldn't adversely affect durability. I know this isnt likely to happen, but it would be nice.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
RoketRdr
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
That makes sense. Too bad theres not an acceptable level of mods or a list of approved tuners who could make "reasonable" changes that wouldn't adversely affect durability. I know this isnt likely to happen, but it would be nice.
It won't surprise me if GM comes out with some "Stage" packages that can be bought and installed at the dealer with a warranty just like they did with the Cobalt SS. Would be minor things like CAI and proper tune to support it but the key factor is that GM cannot allow any factory tuning, upgrade or mod to take the car outside federally mandated emissions standards or the EPA will be breathing down their neck with heavy fines. Especially on vehicles like the Duramax, CTS-V, ZL1 and ZR1 because they are already on the performance edge of being out of emission specs.

But for the rest of us who don't care about no stinking warranty...throw on that 90mm TB with CAI and TUNE AWAY!!!
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
KD Innovations
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staging Lanes
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
Wow, the whole point of me looking at this cheap mod for now was the fact that you could GAIN (NOT LOSE) HP without tuning and ruining your factory warranty. This info has sort of put a pause on my decision...

Question: Did you guys bolt the 90mm TB onto an automatic or manual (stock) ZL1?
Our auto.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #24
GearBangr
 
Drives: 97Z,02TA
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
Well it wasn't those cars specifically as much as it was any car being modded. But when it came to their cars with the high dollar engines/transmissions they realized they had to something to protect themselves from fraud and abuse. I'm sure you know GM has folks watching these forums and they are very well aware of what's being done to the cars and the mods that are made. Believe it or not GM does know that people want to mod their cars and that have that in mind when they are designing some of the powertrain aspects. They make information available to the aftermarket companies so they can build their products. The problem has become abuse of manufacturers warranty and letting them foot the bill for repairs that should have been the owners expense. Making heavy mods that blow up an engine and then removing all the aftermarket parts and tuning to make it look like the car was still stock is abuse of warranty. GM learned their lesson so this is why the ECM's are now set-up to log a change in factory tuning. If you blow up a $20K LS9 because you modded your car it shouldn't be GM's responsibility to pay for the engine replacement. After paying fraudulent warranty claims on Duramax's, Camaro's, CTS-V's and ZR1's they decided to do something about it. All these vehicles have high dollar engine/transmission combo's so of course they are the target of the new software that logs changes.

I don't blame GM one bit for all the precautions they take.
Having said that, I wonder if the pcm keeps a log of the odometer, surely it does.
Someone could just purchase a replacement pcm, then tune on that one. So if something does happen, all they have to do is put the stock pcm back in to make a claim.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #25
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
Question: Did you guys bolt the 90mm TB onto an automatic or manual (stock) ZL1?
Manual. I noticed an improvement in power and sound on acceleration. No tune yet.
__________________
2012 ZL1
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #26
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
BTW.. don't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon of feeling warm and fuzzy about gm getting out of warranties. Its not always fair, and they will try to void any warranty they can as it saves millions in financial obligations. Its business, not a fairness issue.
Fact is, If you tune and then your oil pan leaks you will be denied warranty on the oil pan leak based on the tune, which is not right either.
__________________
2012 ZL1
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
joes407


 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
It won't surprise me if GM comes out with some "Stage" packages that can be bought and installed at the dealer with a warranty just like they did with the Cobalt SS. Would be minor things like CAI and proper tune to support it but the key factor is that GM cannot allow any factory tuning, upgrade or mod to take the car outside federally mandated emissions standards or the EPA will be breathing down their neck with heavy fines. Especially on vehicles like the Duramax, CTS-V, ZL1 and ZR1 because they are already on the performance edge of being out of emission specs.

But for the rest of us who don't care about no stinking warranty...throw on that 90mm TB with CAI and TUNE AWAY!!!
everyone laughed at me when i asked about stage kits like the cobalts had about 2 months ago. it would be awesome
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
Rainman1
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL WON View Post
The only draw back of going with the larger 90mm throttle body of the ZL1 factory 87mm throttle body is that is looks hideous. Below is a picture of what it would look like mounted to the snout without making any changes to the air inlet.



This is what it will look like with a small modification to the air inlet pipe.



In order to flip the TB 180 degrees you need to make a very small modification tot he air inlet. Below are some photos I took describing what needs to be done to make this a very clean install and not have to look at the bulky actuator housing on the 90mm TB.









I hope this helps.
I don't see the pic or instructions. Am i missing a link or something.
Thanks
Rainman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
90mm throttle body, zl1 90mm

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.