Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #43
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: Z71, 2001 Trans Am, 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,908
I can't believe you guys are trying to race out there right now with this heat. I tried it once this summer and it was not good. It was a pro street night and very crowded. Had to waint in the stagging lanes for 15-20min in 100* heat. Needless to say my car did not like it. I also couldn't get better than a 1.9 60ft which was pretty bad. I only got 4 runs in because they closed the track due to a spill. I don't think that track is a very good one. There is also really no way to get around the water box when I went. I try to avoid the water box and then back up into it. If you go through the water box your just tracking water up to the starting line and then your rear tires have to drive through it. Most good tracks that I see have a wide clear path around the water box. This is probably why your wife is having so much trouble. Even on stock tires her 2.73 geared car should have no problem hooking up and getting a 2.0 60ft. She needs to do a very slight burn out to just get the water off the tires. I bet she is having trouble becuase her tires are still wet.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009. Heads/cam/converter/bolt ons. SOLD Feb 2015 to fund 6th gen LT1 SS with 8L90E.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #44
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I can't believe you guys are trying to race out there right now with this heat. I tried it once this summer and it was not good. It was a pro street night and very crowded. Had to waint in the stagging lanes for 15-20min in 100* heat. Needless to say my car did not like it. I also couldn't get better than a 1.9 60ft which was pretty bad. I only got 4 runs in because they closed the track due to a spill. I don't think that track is a very good one. There is also really no way to get around the water box when I went. I try to avoid the water box and then back up into it. If you go through the water box your just tracking water up to the starting line and then your rear tires have to drive through it. Most good tracks that I see have a wide clear path around the water box. This is probably why your wife is having so much trouble. Even on stock tires her 2.73 geared car should have no problem hooking up and getting a 2.0 60ft. She needs to do a very slight burn out to just get the water off the tires. I bet she is having trouble becuase her tires are still wet.
A 1.9 60 foot is bad ?????? That's damn good!
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #45
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: Z71, 2001 Trans Am, 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
A 1.9 60 foot is bad ?????? That's damn good!
Its bad for me in this mid 11's capable car. On my DR I want 1.6-1.7 60fts.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009. Heads/cam/converter/bolt ons. SOLD Feb 2015 to fund 6th gen LT1 SS with 8L90E.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #46
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Its bad for me in this mid 11's capable car. On my DR I want 1.6-1.7 60fts.
Were you at nw 39th this most previous saturday night ?

There was a clean gray camaro turbocharged there.....
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #47
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I can't believe you guys are trying to race out there right now with this heat. I tried it once this summer and it was not good. It was a pro street night and very crowded. Had to waint in the stagging lanes for 15-20min in 100* heat. Needless to say my car did not like it. I also couldn't get better than a 1.9 60ft which was pretty bad. I only got 4 runs in because they closed the track due to a spill. I don't think that track is a very good one. There is also really no way to get around the water box when I went. I try to avoid the water box and then back up into it. If you go through the water box your just tracking water up to the starting line and then your rear tires have to drive through it. Most good tracks that I see have a wide clear path around the water box. This is probably why your wife is having so much trouble. Even on stock tires her 2.73 geared car should have no problem hooking up and getting a 2.0 60ft. She needs to do a very slight burn out to just get the water off the tires. I bet she is having trouble becuase her tires are still wet.
Its fun racing each other in the same conditions. I am working alot on my reaction time since it still feels weird leaving on the 3rd light. November we should put some good times down and hopefully some more Camaro's will be out there since I'm outnumbered by mustangs pretty heavily there.
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.752 @ 117.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #48
jlawrence613
 
jlawrence613's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Its fun racing each other in the same conditions. I am working alot on my reaction time since it still feels weird leaving on the 3rd light. November we should put some good times down and hopefully some more Camaro's will be out there since I'm outnumbered by mustangs pretty heavily there.
Meant to tell you... Tell your wife to keep the hammer down when the over rev light comes on. It's supposed to do that, it means it's working. Bama sets the 1-2 gear shift at 7100rpm I believe...

If you can swing it, get her a set of LCA's. A good solid set can be had for $99.00. And Both of you need to get those 60' times down. Don't worry about your reaction times unless you guys are heads-up racing.
__________________
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #49
Gibroni
 
Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
I'm also wondering about my tires, 21k miles on my original all-season tires probably isn't helping. When we move into a bigger house, we may get some drag only tires that we can change out when we go to the track.
Getting a set of drag tires and rims for the would be my suggestion.
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #50
MagnumForceGB


 
MagnumForceGB's Avatar
 
Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, OK
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Meant to tell you... Tell your wife to keep the hammer down when the over rev light comes on. It's supposed to do that, it means it's working. Bama sets the 1-2 gear shift at 7100rpm I believe...

If you can swing it, get her a set of LCA's. A good solid set can be had for $99.00. And Both of you need to get those 60' times down. Don't worry about your reaction times unless you guys are heads-up racing.
Told her about the over-rev and I also got a new tune from Bama for the slow shifting. Seems to work a little better for shifting, no lag. Also looking at LCA's when I get the 3.73 gears.

Also I am working on my reaction time because I know that when she gets 3.73 gears I will need to get as much advantage off the line I can or I will see her tail lights. Then when that happens I will be posting in the general discussion forums a topic called "How do I beat my wife".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
Getting a set of drag tires and rims for the would be my suggestion.
That is the plan for next year. She keeps her pony package rims which she loves, we use drag racing rims/tires for drag racing only. What kind of size should I look for? She is running 235/50 R18's and I am running 245/50 R19's.
__________________
Camaro V6 = 11.752 @ 117.27
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #51
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
Ok i remembered the wrong trap. To the left was a blue modified 2010 mustang gt.

Weeks go by faster then i thought, it was august 12, he bought it august 5. DA was awful that night....
You might as well put it in R and go find the parking lot with those RT's. LOL
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #52
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13
 
kjkjr27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
You might as well put it in R and go find the parking lot with those RT's. LOL
looks like your 60ft could be better too, but looking good!
__________________
kjkjr27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #53
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH
 
2012 IngotSilver 5.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 648
I had a 100% bumper-to-bumper bone stock 2011 V6 coupe/2.73/automatic that I raced a few times.

Stability Control can be left on, but Traction Control must be OFF.

October run, mid 60's, brake revved at launch ...
Attached Images
 
__________________
2012 Ingot Silver 5.0
Base/Stick
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #54
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 IngotSilver 5.0 View Post
I had a 100% bumper-to-bumper bone stock 2011 V6 coupe/2.73/automatic that I raced a few times.

Stability Control can be left on, but Traction Control must be OFF.

October run, mid 60's, brake revved at launch ...
With your 5.0 ?
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #55
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 IngotSilver 5.0 View Post
I had a 100% bumper-to-bumper bone stock 2011 V6 coupe/2.73/automatic that I raced a few times.

Stability Control can be left on, but Traction Control must be OFF.

October run, mid 60's, brake revved at launch ...
I'm not sure that is the case. If you had the 2.73s...that was a 2LS model with an automatic right?

Some of the best stock V6 60' times here with an auto transmission were achieved by spinning the tires beforehand to at least clean them off, or if they are the PZeros get a little heat in them.

Leave TC on, and hold rpm just able idle....say 1,000 - 1,100 RPM. Foot on break...release on last yellow while simultaneously hitting the gas.

Not saying your technique wasn't any good...just saying what else I've learned on here.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #56
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'm not sure that is the case. If you had the 2.73s...that was a 2LS model with an automatic right?

Some of the best stock V6 60' times here with an auto transmission were achieved by spinning the tires beforehand to at least clean them off, or if they are the PZeros get a little heat in them.

Leave TC on, and hold rpm just able idle....say 1,000 - 1,100 RPM. Foot on break...release on last yellow while simultaneously hitting the gas.

Not saying your technique wasn't any good...just saying what else I've learned on here.

I agree on cleaning them off, the "waterbox" is unavoidable at thunder valley and the prepping is not so good.....
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.