Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
Talking 2012 LFX with CAI Inc's cold air intake - Dyno - 6/23/2012

My website had a dyno day today at one of the local performance shops. The dyno is a Dynojet. My 2012 LFX M6 has 10,000 miles on it. Premium 93 octane gas ran through the past 2 tanks. The only modifications I have are CAI Inc's cold air intake and the RX Catch Can (which I wouldn't consider a "performance" mod, but regardless figured I'd mention it since it's attached to the engine).

All in all I was pretty happy with the results. The first two runs were done in 4th gear and the person operating the dyno said he was hitting the speed limiter - capping it out around 220hp. He ran it again in 3rd gear and finally got 267hp. We let it cool off for a few minutes and then ran it again, 3rd gear run, and got 270hp/232tq.

As a comparison, a stock LT1 ran and only received 235 hp. A Grand Prix GXP (5.3L v8) with only a cold air intake ran and got 240hp. An LT1 with headers, intake, and a tune ran 285hp. I think I made some of the v8 guys feel kinda bad when my v6 was putting out similar horsepower. Of course HP is only one variable in a drag race, but since it's a dyno day and everyone is comparing their numbers it made me feel pretty good

Both of these videos are 3rd gear runs.

__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed


Last edited by meissen; 06-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
ecko04
 
Drives: Too many to list
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast Runner
Posts: 318
Nice numbers
__________________
In My Garage

'12 Volkswagen Jetta SE
'12 Chevrolet Camaro
'11 Harley Fat Bob
'11 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L
'05 Mercedes E500 W211
'01 BMW 328xi
'89 Chevrolet Suburban
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Nice! Wonder how much an exhaust would add. CAI is my next mod.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
I might add one down the road, but I don't want a crappy sounding v6
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
I agree I just bolted on a Dynomax VT yesterday, very pleased with the sound and no drone! Ordered my CAI cold air intake about an hour ago...
BTW was the stock LT1 an auto? 35 rwhp is a big difference....
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
ecko04
 
Drives: Too many to list
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast Runner
Posts: 318
I have the Injen CAI...I've been tinkering with the idea of doing the throttle body and exhaust. I don't really want to do the exhaust but I hate the look of the saddle bags and I would like to fill out the exhaust openings a bit more.
__________________
In My Garage

'12 Volkswagen Jetta SE
'12 Chevrolet Camaro
'11 Harley Fat Bob
'11 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L
'05 Mercedes E500 W211
'01 BMW 328xi
'89 Chevrolet Suburban
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
LT1 as in a 4th generation v8 Camaro, not a 1LT.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
I have the Injen CAI...I've been tinkering with the idea of doing the throttle body and exhaust. I don't really want to do the exhaust but I hate the look of the saddle bags and I would like to fill out the exhaust openings a bit more.
I pre-ordered one of the RX ported throttle bodies -- will be interesting to get it on the dyno once it's installed just to see what difference it makes, if any. I got it because of the increased throttle response down low, but if it increases hp a bit too that'd be cool with me.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Whoops my misread..even more impressive that a little naturally aspirated 3.6 V-6 beat out a 5.7 V-8...very cool.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
Haha yeah - I kinda felt bad for the guy, he left shortly after and didn't stick around too long.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
My website had a dyno day today at one of the local performance shops. The dyno is a Dynojet. My 2012 LFX M6 has 10,000 miles on it. Premium 93 octane gas ran through the past 2 tanks. The only modifications I have are CAI Inc's cold air intake and the RX Catch Can (which I wouldn't consider a "performance" mod, but regardless figured I'd mention it since it's attached to the engine).

All in all I was pretty happy with the results. The first two runs were done in 4th gear and the person operating the dyno said he was hitting the speed limiter - capping it out around 220hp. He ran it again in 3rd gear and finally got 267hp. We let it cool off for a few minutes and then ran it again, 3rd gear run, and got 270hp/232tq.

As a comparison, a stock LT1 ran and only received 235 hp. A Grand Prix GXP (5.3L v8) with only a cold air intake ran and got 240hp. An LT1 with headers, intake, and a tune ran 285hp. I think I made some of the v8 guys feel kinda bad when my v6 was putting out similar horsepower. Of course HP is only one variable in a drag race, but since it's a dyno day and everyone is comparing their numbers it made me feel pretty good

Both of these videos are 3rd gear runs.

Great #'s!! Glad to have our intake on your vehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Nice! Wonder how much an exhaust would add. CAI is my next mod.
We look forward to you getting our CAI, you will not be disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
I agree I just bolted on a Dynomax VT yesterday, very pleased with the sound and no drone! Ordered my CAI cold air intake about an hour ago...
BTW was the stock LT1 an auto? 35 rwhp is a big difference....
Thank you for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Dylaqn4567
 
Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 363
Does the intake also make the car sound any different? If yes is it a big difference? Also if I install this will it void my warranty?
__________________
Dylaqn4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
You can hear how the car sounds on the dyno - if your car doesn't sound like that then yes. I think it does make a difference - the stock intake is loaded with silencers so it doesn't make as much noise, this intake gets rid of that so you'll hear the intake more. And no it will not void your warranty.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
bowtiesonly
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 60
great to see some lfx numbers finally, i have pretty much the same set up, intake and a catch can, ( waiting on a vararam!) and always run 93 octane, those are great numbers, ive been looking everywhere for dyno numbers, thanks for the post!
bowtiesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
I know - right now the only three dyno numbers in the LLT V6 forum's Dyno sticky for 2012 LFX are 3 stock LFX automatics in the 250-260 range. At least for now, I'm the highest horsepower LFX
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
I know - right now the only three dyno numbers in the LLT V6 forum's Dyno sticky for 2012 LFX are 3 stock LFX automatics in the 250-260 range. At least for now, I'm the highest horsepower LFX
Enjoy it while you can!!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
fsusmithc2
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
fsusmithc2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1LT/RS A6
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
I don't really want to do the exhaust but I hate the look of the saddle bags and I would like to fill out the exhaust openings a bit more.
If you really want to fill the stock openings you can't do it any better than the Ark N2 system. Trust me. Or, for that matter, look at my avatar pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
I know - right now the only three dyno numbers in the LLT V6 forum's Dyno sticky for 2012 LFX are 3 stock LFX automatics in the 250-260 range. At least for now, I'm the highest horsepower LFX
Lol. I honestly haven't looked at that sheet since they posted my number to the list. #1 stock woo hoo! You should get your results posted too and help build up the numbers. The other two entries are the same person. Also, we might want to suggest a sticky in the LFX thread for our numbers or at least link to that thread in the LLT area.

My only follow-up run since modding my ride was the first round of testing the LFX ported TB down at RX Performance and that was on a different dyno so the numbers don't compare well. I'll run her again up here in Tallahassee when the TB is on and we'll see where we're at.
__________________
2012 1LT/RS A6 - 14.11 @ 99.75mph
Performance: CAI intake w/scoop - Ark N-II cat-back - V-Max ported TB - SOLO HFCs - RX catch can - LSR strut brace
Appearance: Hexis vinyl cf bowties (Headlight Armor) - Oracle ABL interior, grill, and under-hood lighting, P13W plasma DRLs, ghosted sidemarkers - LSR billet strut retainers - 30% tint w/ 5% front strip - Dash plaque and under-hood bowtie by EmblemPros - Custom painted engine and fuse covers - Heritage grill - Gill stripes by Big Worm Graphix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Black paint isn't a hobby, its a career. Get used to it
*How to hug your Camaro*

Last edited by fsusmithc2; 06-26-2012 at 02:01 PM.
fsusmithc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
Yeah I submitted my numbers but I guess they have to straighten out who the owner of the dyno thread is before we can get the numbers updated. I'm half tempted to branch off and create our own LFX dyno post here in the LFX section since there's only 3 in the spreadsheet thus far.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Yeah I submitted my numbers but I guess they have to straighten out who the owner of the dyno thread is before we can get the numbers updated. I'm half tempted to branch off and create our own LFX dyno post here in the LFX section since there's only 3 in the spreadsheet thus far.
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.