Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Dynomax VT install and vid

Spent about an hour an a half today installing my new Dynomax VT axle back system. Fairly straight forward, but you will absolutely need a saws-all to cut the pipes easily. I have a driveway that drops off, a couple blocks and a floor jack gave just BARELY enough room to cut the pipes.
Starting before any cutting:

One cut out. Without car ramps you have to cut horizontally, which means the tip of the sawalls blade hits the rear diff support arms which immediately bends the blade. Ask how I know this! Car ramps are recommended for enough clearance so you can cut with sawsall vertical, not at an angle like I had to do.

Okay, both cut now. WD-40 is absolutely essential to remove and install the new mufflers. My car is only 3 months old, older cars will take more effort but they come off fairly easily.

The two mid pipes installed loosely. You REALLY need to smooth the burrs from cutting, and check the mid pipes as it appeared one of mine had been dropped pressing one of the serrated end blades closed making it impossible to install. Use a ball peen hammer, and knock them outwards gently, smooth the new pipes with a half round file, and lube with WD-40 to twist them on.

One muffler on. Install the clamps first, put the mid sections on, then install the muffler into the stock factory rubber mounts. Use WD40. Then press the muffler into the midsection, rotate/adjust the whole thing to align the muffler into rear exit holes, make sure the muffler isnt touching the trunk bottom, then tighten the muffler clamp, then the lid section clamp. It says to cut 14" back from the muffler, but you can cut another 1/2 to 3/4" easily and still fit the muffler. Do NOT cut short or the whole assembly will not go on. The good part is that you can cut more if you have to, but it will be a PITA one the stock mufflers are removed as there will be nothing holding the pipes in place while you cut them and they will wrigggle all over the place, you will need a helper to cut them then and good luck too.

Both mufflers on, and installed.

Sound is good, moderate, not loud. A little more growl at idle, low speed. A nice sound under throttle and as the engine revs past 3k. A little rasp and even a pop back or two on , decelleration but not much. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. A definite improvement in on throttle acceleration, car feels slightly quicker, more snap, hard to describe. I didnt record a "before" vid as we all know what a stock v-6 Camaro sounds like, but here is the "after" vid (courtesy of my wife and cat helping):

(Click on screen to play)

For those of you looking for a MUCH louder system, this isnt it. But I got what I wanted, a nice growl, an improvement in on throttle response, and no drone.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Nice job, Henry. Glad you're satisfied. CAI next, eh?
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
BigVic
Speed Racer

Drives: 2012 AGM 1LS
Nice!

Good write up...and good job! They look and sound very good. These are what I am looking to buy.

BTW, those looking to buy this system, go to the link below for pricing. See page 3.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228126

BigVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Henry G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Nice job, Henry. Glad you're satisfied. CAI next, eh?
Oh yeah. Decided on the CAI intake, looking for best deal now.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Diazr1

Drives: 2012 RS LFX SIM
Froogle lowest price then go to jegs. Got mine for $350 minus the $75. I'm looking at $275. Jegs does a price match. I used the autoplicity price cause they didn't not have good reviews. Pm if you need help
Diazr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Henry G.

If Jegs had the Cold Air Inductions CAI for the Camaro, they didnt list it. I bought from Apex Chase, $399 no tax,free shipping, guaranteed in stock.

BTW I started the car up this morning and the RH muffler was touching the trunk floor, the rattle was horrible. I went back and loosened both mufflers, both clamps, re-aligned them then tightened again this time with my 1/2" impact gun on the lowest setting. The clamps have to be TIGHT. Be careful if you do this, I can see how you could ruin a clamp using an impact gun if you werent careful. But with a 3/8 rachet I couldn't get enough leverage to get that last bit of tightness it needed. If it happens again I think I will look to a muffler shop for better clamps or to weld them in place.

Last edited by Henry G.; 06-24-2012 at 05:57 PM.