Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Detroit Speed
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #51
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
The dealer wheel package (21s) is extra. The customer is entitled to both sets of wheels.
You're absolutly correct, but that doesn't mean the customer is going to get both sets. If the dealer doesn't offer them and the customer is not aware, then the dealer keeps them. I know this particular dealer does this because they tried to sell me a set.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #52
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardailsmith View Post
If your looking to get the LT you might want to get the RS package. With the RS not only are the rims larger you get larger faster tires. Chevrolet tunes the vehicle for the higher speed capability of the better tires, some where around 122MPH. They tune the smaller rims and tires for the lower speed ratting.

If my info is incorrect, please correct me. THX
118MPH or 155MPH.
But it's a long way to the Autobahn.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #53
AKA-22

Drives: Ellie-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I've seen a lot of Camaro convertible factory stickers with the RS package and wheel upgrades.

This seems like a waste of money given one wheel upgrade in the RS package.

Why not order just the final wheel upgrade and buy the halo lights separately?
disagree:thumbdow n:
Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #54
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I've seen a lot of Camaro convertible factory stickers with the RS package and wheel upgrades.

This seems like a waste of money given one wheel upgrade in the RS package.

Why not order just the final wheel upgrade and buy the halo lights separately?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
The REAL waste of money is adding after-market parts to a vehicle that could've been purchased with those options already factory / dealer installed at less cost with a better warranty to boot. That's part of what constitutes "value" for your money.
BTW, with the RS package - in particular if you purchased a MY 2010 or 2011 you also got darkened tail light lenses and the guages.

All in all, with the RS package (on a 'vert) you get halo headlights, darkened tail light lenses, gauges and upgraded wheels.

How much will it cost to add all of those pieces aftermarket? And what about the warranty in the event of a defect / malfunction? Hhhmmm...RS package is definitely worth it if one would like those items. That's where the value lies.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #55
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Since the spoiler, tail lights and 20s are all standard, I always kind of thought that the RS package on the SS was a little "lame". All you really get is the headlights and roof ditch.

Now that the "rs" tails and spoilers on all models is now standard cheapens it a little. But the wheels and headlights are still worth it on the 6 imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #56
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
BTW, with the RS package - in particular if you purchased a MY 2010 or 2011 you also got darkened tail light lenses and the guages.

All in all, with the RS package (on a 'vert) you get halo headlights, darkened tail light lenses, gauges and upgraded wheels.

How much will it cost to add all of those pieces aftermarket? And what about the warranty in the event of a defect / malfunction? Hhhmmm...RS package is definitely worth it if one would like those items. That's where the value lies.
The aux guages are a 2LT (2SS) thing, like the HUD and leather, not standard on the 1lt or 1SS (i think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #57
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite-T View Post
The aux guages are a 2LT (2SS) thing, like the HUD and leather, not standard on the 1lt or 1SS (i think).
You are correct. The aux guages are not part of the RS package. They only come with the 2LT and 2SS packages. They are not available as a stand alone option either. But you can buy them over-the-counter and the cars are pre-wired for them. My car is a 2SS/non-RS, and it came with the guages.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #58
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Interesting. I did not know this. So all 2012+ convertible shark fins must be body color. How about 2011 convertibles? Are they black or body colored?
The shark fin on the 2011 convertibles was also body colored. I also think that the RS package gave you the spoiler on the V6 in 2011. I remember seeing a non RS convertible at the dealer and it did not have a rear spoiler and the radio antenna came out by the shark fin. I did not like the way it looked at all. It may now be standard in 2012 on all the convertibles.
zandron263 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #59
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandron263 View Post
The shark fin on the 2011 convertibles was also body colored. I also think that the RS package gave you the spoiler on the V6 in 2011. I remember seeing a non RS convertible at the dealer and it did not have a rear spoiler and the radio antenna came out by the shark fin. I did not like the way it looked at all. It may now be standard in 2012 on all the convertibles.
Yes the rear spoiler is standard on the 12 convertibles.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #60
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
I'm really happy I got the RS package.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #61
RichieSSZ28
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS & 14' Sierra Z71
For the ones who will be looking at this car in the future will be looking at the RS package and the unique difference in the stock design.
SLP 1-3/4" LT Headers, 3" High flow cats,MGW short throw shifter with Orange SS, Magnaflow 2.5" Street series aggressive full system exhaust with 4" Tips, MGW Short throw shifter, K&N CAI, SLP 160 thermostat, Diablo Sport Tune by SLP, Sinister Street scene Package, Custom Two Tone paint scheme(Pearl black and Inferno Orange) by Owens Customizing, Two tone Engine cover, 22" Gianelle Cuba 10 matte black with ball cut details, Vredestein SUV assanta tires 265/35 and 315/30.
RichieSSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #62
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieSSZ28 View Post
For the ones who will be looking at this car in the future will be looking at the RS package and the unique difference in the stock design.
But if more people buy the RS package then those without it will be the unique ones. You just can't speculate on that.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #63
RichieSSZ28
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS & 14' Sierra Z71
True but some keep a car all original. If your going to change all of it then it's def a waste. I'm going to replace my wheels soon but I've had the car well over two yrs with the upgraded wheels and got my use out of them so far. It's an opinion I guess.
SLP 1-3/4" LT Headers, 3" High flow cats,MGW short throw shifter with Orange SS, Magnaflow 2.5" Street series aggressive full system exhaust with 4" Tips, MGW Short throw shifter, K&N CAI, SLP 160 thermostat, Diablo Sport Tune by SLP, Sinister Street scene Package, Custom Two Tone paint scheme(Pearl black and Inferno Orange) by Owens Customizing, Two tone Engine cover, 22" Gianelle Cuba 10 matte black with ball cut details, Vredestein SUV assanta tires 265/35 and 315/30.
RichieSSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #64
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Yes the rear spoiler is standard on the 12 convertibles.
The rear spoiler is standard on all 2012's.....Not just convertibles.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #65
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
I just about purposely avoided the RS package. Got tired of seeing them.

I love my car the way it is. I see very few 1LT's that were left the way mine is. I couldn't see spending the extra $1500 for all the things I didn't need to look even more like all the other Camaros on the road. I was also shooting for better ride quality and MPG so I didn't want the heavier 20's and lower profile tires.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #66
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
The non-RS headlights are so ugly. Thats the only reason I got the RS package and thats the only thing thats left of the RS package on my car. Wheels are gone, tail lights are tinted and my roof is black. I would have paid $1000 for the headlights alone. It completely changes the front of the car.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #67
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '11 1LT/RS M6 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
I chose not to get the RS package. I knew I wanted different wheels than what was offered by GM. I did want halos so I bought Eagle Eye....I spent $450 on the lights, $1000 on the wheels, $150 on a harness to make my halos and fogs DRLs. I think the RS package is $1500 extra...which is a good deal, if you like the wheels. I sold my original wheels for $600, so I have $1000 into my own RS package...I have not gotten HID retro fit yet, but am thinking about it. So that leaves me $500 extra to spend on other mods...so to me, I agree the RS package was not worth it.
I like those blue stripes!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #68
Fiveg56

Drives: 2014 Mustang 67B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
The non-RS headlights are so ugly. Thats the only reason I got the RS package and thats the only thing thats left of the RS package on my car. Wheels are gone, tail lights are tinted and my roof is black. I would have paid $1000 for the headlights alone. It completely changes the front of the car.
Thank your for sharing your opinion on this matter.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #69
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGood View Post
+1 I wouldn't have bought one without it.

And trying to upgrade a non-RS to an RS is a waste of money when you go to sell or trade in because if it didn't come factory optioned as an RS, it's not one, and RS goes for more than non-RS. Just my .02. The package is well worth the $1200, especially on the six.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #70
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
I don't get people wanting to cut $1,500 off a $35k+ car. That's like running a marathon and then quitting with a half mile left.
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #71
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
But if more people buy the RS package then those without it will be the unique ones. You just can't speculate on that.
dunno, see plenty of rentals w/o the RS package. Pretty plain, imo.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #72
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Those HID headlights are great but at night they really make your car stand out from far away. This can be both good and bad.

My new car I'm probably getting doesn't have an RS package. I decided it's not a deal breaker for me. It's a 1ss, although if I was getting another LT I'd probably still insist on RS for the larger wheels.

I ordered a lot of stuff on my 2010 that after 3 years I decided a lot of it I don't really need. Leather for example. Knowing that the car only has only about 20% real leather and it will look like crap in 5 years makes me not interested in having it.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #73
Lil'BlueCoupe
No!..... It's Not a HEMI!

Drives: 2012 1LT A6 IBM/2008 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I am totally opposite when it comes to your opinion, although I do respect your opinion, so I wont bash the RS lights. Although if I had them I would have traded them straight across with someone in here with the "plain" ones,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
dunno, see plenty of rentals w/o the RS package. Pretty plain, imo.
On the contrary, the RS package is rather tacky looking to me, but to each their own. I actually get lots of cool compliments on my "plain" non RS 1LT, several times now others have told me that it is nice that my Camaro doesn't look like all the other "run of the mill" Camaros they see out there, and yes some have told me they like the RS look better.
Not trying to bash the RS lights but when I see them the first thing that comes to mind is "ricer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
I just about purposely avoided the RS package. Got tired of seeing them.

I love my car the way it is. I see very few 1LT's that were left the way mine is. I couldn't see spending the extra $1500 for all the things I didn't need to look even more like all the other Camaros on the road. I was also shooting for better ride quality and MPG so I didn't want the heavier 20's and lower profile tires.
I too feel the same way about the 1LT, so I left it as is, I did however change one thing on the car and it is something that is not in the RS package, and that is the heritage grill.
I have a hard time grasping the fact that a set of headlights cost @ $1600 or more, or even justifies the extra $ you spend on the RS package. If I wanted Halos I would go aftermarket, heck I see so many folks in here that have the stock Halos and are swapping them out for aftermarket lights, why? I don't know.
Roof Ditch molding paint? Huh? Whats that? My car is dark blue! I never even noticed the roof ditch molding was black! and I don't care either!
All this "RS" extra stuff is cool for someone who wants it, but when I went out and bought my car I insisted NOT to have the RS package, for around $1600 less I STILL managed to drive the car off the lot because it STILL came with wheels and tires and headlights to see at night.
When I see another Camaro on the road I could give a rats arse what it has in it, I just like looking at the body style of this car, SS, RS, LT, LS, SS, etc......it really doesnt matter to me, I just like seeing them on the road, I could care less about what someone spent on one, that's their thing.
As for resale not being that good on a non-RS model? Hey, I drive the dog piss out of mine and by the time I even think of trading mine in it will have some serious high miles on it, and I dont even care if it was a ZL1, I wont get jack $hit for it for trade in value.
You all go ahead and pay extra money for all the extra goodies such as RS and other cool new fangled gadgets, after all it's your money, spend it as you wish. I have a certain preference for the 1LT non-RS models with the heritage grills myself, but that's my taste and opinion, and I will respect all of your opinions, thats what make this country so great....variety.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #74
mclark10

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
Quote:
Same shape. Looks the same to me except for the raccoon eye effect. How do you feel about the Audi headlight accents that looks like the eye glitter on a black transvestite hooker you see in the movies?

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
mclark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #75
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Same shape. Looks the same to me except for the raccoon eye effect. How do you feel about the Audi headlight accents that looks like the eye glitter on a black transvestite hooker you see in the movies?
I love the Audi headlights. Those are my favorite. Halogen lights are outdated IMO.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rs package, wheel