Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Weight reduction (diet)

I wanted to start a thread on weight reduction ideas, and suggestions. I know this is of interest to me, and probably others. There has got to be some tricks to get some pudge off this car...
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
I wanted to start a thread on weight reduction ideas, and suggestions. I know this is of interest to me, and probably others. There has got to be some tricks to get some pudge off this car...
Good luck
I can give you one piece of advice, ditch the engine cover lol bam like 2lbs gone haha. I don't know much about the ZL1 but if the battery is the same (I would assume so) you could switch to a braille battery.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Take out your back seat along with the passenger seat? Swap the driver seat for an all carbon fiber seat. I saw one at a car show last weekend for $3,000 lol.
Get rid of the sound deadening material
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
It would be easier for me to do the driver weight reduction mod.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
I changed out the battery yesterday. Smaller, 5lbs lighter, and easy. The only issue was reprogramming the windows.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats

Last edited by gmgdave; 06-24-2012 at 02:39 PM.
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
The following car journal has some good content. The owner has done a few things such as going to a more powerful clutch weighing 22 lbs less. It's not cheap however.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45165
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
I changed out the battery yesterday. Smaller, 5lbs lighter, and easy. The only issue was reprogramming the windows.
What battery did you install?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170965
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
What battery did you install?
Optima
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Hmmmm, my grand daughter consistently beat me driving my L99 Camaro at the drag strip by 1/10th second no matter what I did. All you had to do in that car was crank it to 1000 rpm and pop the brake and let it shift itself in S mode. I finally realized that she weighs 100 lbs and I weigh 200 lbs. Proof positive that each 100 lbs is worth 1/10th second....lol. So, moral of the story, go on a crash diet!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

yeah...I could lose a few alright...lol.
Besides that, I thought of the seats, and sound deadner.
I think I'll remove the sound deadener, but I like the seats. Maybe the bumper reinforcements and door beams will add up to some weight.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

found some numbers on stuff that isn't visually obvious.

Front and rer bumper reinforce...50 lbs
tire inflator etc.....6 lbs
windshield washer tank, pump etc...4lbs
floor sound deadener...12 lbs
trunk carpet and well cover...15 lbs
headers instead of cats and manifolds...60 lbs

There's almost 150 lbs..
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
DangerZL1

Carbon fiber or Al driveshaft? I haven't seen anybody list this mod.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It probably goes without saying, but removing door and bumper bars is not good for crash protection. All those things are there in order to protect the occupants. These cars are not designed to deflect impact energy - they're designed to absorb and pass them around the passengers. Enough of that boring stuff...

I'd look into some lightened rotors. I know these are two-piece and lighter already, but there may be some solutions out there to save a few pounds. I believe Pfadts' rear control arms are lighter than stock - not to mention stiffer and have better bushings.

Is there really that much to lose, without taking away from performance? I can't think of much that was added to ZL1, over SS, that could be removed without sacrificing something. Everything is either bigger for more strength or added to control cooling. I like the CF driveshaft, and there are CF trunklids out there. Beyond stripping more from the interior, I'm not sure how long it is until you really start turning ZL1 into a rear racecar...

Subscribed!
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
RobRiot88

Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
carbon fiber doors will save you some weight. along with fenders and the hood. youll loose a little with the trunk. its pricey though. racing seats will help you loose 20-30 lbs per seat. but you have to consider with a carbon fiber front end if you get into an accident your kind of screwed unless you have a roll cage which weighs about what you dropped. smaller and lighter rims are the biggest way to ditch dead weight. focus on the rotating mass. like your flywheel, driveshaft and wheels. you can strip out the sound deadening material and your windshield washer reservoir and speakers and all that junk but unless your going to remove it all the weight loss is almost not even worth it. my best suggestion. get some smaller, lighter rims, and racing seats and dont race with a full tank of gas.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Yeah, Its looking as if this isn't easy to do without major sacrifices. I just don't understand how on earth this car weighs so much. It doen't make sense. Its not that big.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
nobody mentioned swaping the air box to a CAI. I'll be doing tha soon and will measure the weights of both. I'm sure it will save 3-5 lbs. Plus you get more power and nmuch better looks under the hood. I'll go to a smaller windshield wiper bottle too.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
BlAcK MaMbA SS

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS RS L99
Send a message via MSN to BlAcK MaMbA SS Send a message via Yahoo to BlAcK MaMbA SS
For sure replacing the Headers and the Stock exhaust will easily take off about 100 pounds or even more, depends with what you will be replacing.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #19
coanbread23

Drives: 2011 chevy camaro ss
Things you can do to drop weight without sacrifice of safety or comfort.

Battery -10 lbs
Exaust -30 lbs
Air box -5 lbs
Driveshaft -15 lbs
Flywheel -10lbs
CF hood -5 to 10lbs
CF trunk -5 lbs
Racing seats 25lbs per seat
K-Member -15lbs

Thats roughy 100-150 lbs of weight. If im off on the numbers please correct me. These are the only things i would consider doing because they dont effect the safety, or drivability of the car. Doing stuff like removing the AC, or sound deadening material or bumpers interior is a deal beaker.

Youre never gonna be able to drop enough weight to catch or be on par with the Shelby due to the IRS.

Combine this with a kenne bell and you have a ZL1 capable of killing a Shelby in all facets of performance

Last edited by coanbread23; 07-08-2012 at 02:04 AM.
coanbread23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Yeah, Its looking as if this isn't easy to do without major sacrifices. I just don't understand how on earth this car weighs so much. It doen't make sense. Its not that big.
It's STRONG. Take a goooood long stare at the differential to give you some idea. I like to use the word "dense". Lots of stuff in a relatively small area...
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
There's basically 3 types of weight on the car; static dead weight, unsprung weight, and rotational weight. The best type to reduce is unsprung rotational as that not only reduces a small amount of dead weight, it more importantly reduces the critical spinning weight that affects the handling and delivery of power to the wheels.

Unsprung is any weight not supported by the springs, such as the wheels, brake rotors, etc. I've read various estimates of the benefits but reducing unsprung rotational weight is about roughly a 10-1 ratio of benefit; reducing 1 lb of unsprung rotational has the same effect on performance that reducing 10 lbs of dead weight does.

So rather than spend thousands on carbon fiber body panels that might reduce 20 lbs of dead weight, spend those thousands on lighter brake rotors, lighter wheels, lighter clutch/flywheel, lighter driveshaft. Most of that isn't visible compared to a CF body panel but boy will you feel the difference.

Here is a link to my build thread where I've documented my quest to reduce weight on my 2010 SS without removing seats, sound insulation, gutting it, etc. The interior is stock.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=45165&page=2

The gross vehicle weight right now with a full tank of gas is about 3,685 lbs. All the numbers and mods with several dyno sheets showing the results of various mods are in the thread. A lot of it would be useful info for you and you get the added benefit of knowing that what I've listed works, without you having to do the research.

I'd be real interested to see what a ZL1 would do with about 100 lbs of unsprung rotational weight removed.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #22
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
I saved 30 lbs with my battery swap.
Quote:
It is that big. You ever see it parked next to a Vette?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcK MaMbA SS View Post
For sure replacing the Headers and the Stock exhaust will easily take off about 100 pounds or even more, depends with what you will be replacing.
Try more like 40 lbs and that's with an off road X pipe. Hell the entire stock exhaust weighs 128 lbs. The only way you ate gonna lose 100 lbs is if you run open headers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
There's basically 3 types of weight on the car; static dead weight, unsprung weight, and rotational weight. The best type to reduce is unsprung rotational as that not only reduces a small amount of dead weight, it more importantly reduces the critical spinning weight that affects the handling and delivery of power to the wheels.

Unsprung is any weight not supported by the springs, such as the wheels, brake rotors, etc. I've read various estimates of the benefits but reducing unsprung rotational weight is about roughly a 10-1 ratio of benefit; reducing 1 lb of unsprung rotational has the same effect on performance that reducing 10 lbs of dead weight does.

So rather than spend thousands on carbon fiber body panels that might reduce 20 lbs of dead weight, spend those thousands on lighter brake rotors, lighter wheels, lighter clutch/flywheel, lighter driveshaft. Most of that isn't visible compared to a CF body panel but boy will you feel the difference.

Here is a link to my build thread where I've documented my quest to reduce weight on my 2010 SS without removing seats, sound insulation, gutting it, etc. The interior is stock.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=45165&page=2

The gross vehicle weight right now with a full tank of gas is about 3,685 lbs. All the numbers and mods with several dyno sheets showing the results of various mods are in the thread. A lot of it would be useful info for you and you get the added benefit of knowing that what I've listed works, without you having to do the research.

I'd be real interested to see what a ZL1 would do with about 100 lbs of unsprung rotational weight removed.
Hell yes, losing 66 lbs of wheel/tire made my car faster than all my bolt ons combined!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

interesting. Rolling stock weight first on list...
Old 07-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #24
cam fan

Drives: fast
Are there any specifically light weight wheels you guys suggest? It's my daily driver (only driver) but would love to shave some lbs for performance!

Magnesium was used on vette once but apparently were extremely dangerous (super flammable).

How much do the p-zeros + RS rims actually weigh?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #25
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
Are there any specifically light weight wheels you guys suggest? It's my daily driver (only driver) but would love to shave some lbs for performance!

Magnesium was used on vette once but apparently were extremely dangerous (super flammable).

How much do the p-zeros + RS rims actually weigh?
Also curious.

remove badges... 1 lb.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote