Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Moe55

Drives: 2011 1ss
Will this void my warranty?

My car is a 2011 with 11,000 miles. I'm pretty set on putting longtubes, cai, and custom tune. Is this gonna void my warranty?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Yes.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Tune should not void a warranty unless they show it caused the damage in my opinion, but I base that off my idea plain good customer service.

Since Chevy bases it more off the miniscule percentage of profit (taking all the money the company makes in comparison) they show by not doing repairs if they can get out of doing them, they will use the tune to void your warranty.

And with headers you will need a tune.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Tune should not void a warranty unless they show it caused the damage in my opinion, but I base that off my idea plain good customer service.

Since Chevy bases it more off the miniscule percentage of profit (taking all the money the company makes in comparison) they show by not doing repairs if they can get out of doing them, they will use the tune to void your warranty.

And with headers you will need a tune.
You tune your car you lose your powertrain warranty. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. When you tune you are changing the operating parameters of the engine - any engine failure afterwards can be blamed on your manipulation of the operating parameters (aka your tune).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
You tune your car you lose your powertrain warranty. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. When you tune you are changing the operating parameters of the engine - any engine failure afterwards can be blamed on your manipulation of the operating parameters (aka your tune).
yep sort of like if they sell 52 ounce coke's at restaurants, any obesity in the state can be blamed on 52 ounce coke's.....no need to prove it, doesnt even matter if its remotly true, if theres a miniscule chance that it might in some alternate universe be true and they say it is, the sheep will fall in line........
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
This has been debated here to death....depends on what has failed and if your Dealer is Mod friendly.

It is NOT a definitive no or yes.

I have personally seen a Dealership replace a trans,axle shafts,driveshaft bolts etc. on a tuned and a tuned and cammed car.

Your mileage may vary
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
It'll only be void if something breaks and you try to get the dealer to fix it .
Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
A tune WILL void your no questions asked BUT only IF GM asks the dealer for a copy of your current tune.

Once GM tells the service manager to hook up the computer and send them your tune, you're screwed however GM only does this on big ticket items or on suspicious repairs. Until GM asks for this information, you will be good to go.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Moe55

What about a hand held tuner. I know you're not gonna get the gains a custom tune would get, but you can always put the factory tune back, right?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
Brutal SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
ANY tune, even if you reflash it back to stock afterwards, will void your warranty! And yes, they can tell if it's been re-flashed. If anyone tells you any different, they are mistaken! Tune at your own risk! It really is that simple!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
Moe55

I want to mod this thing sooo bad, but I might hold off a while on the stiff that could come back to bite me.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #12
Brutal SS

Im with you bro! What I've been doing is trying to feed the mod bug by focusing on cosmetics for now, and save the warranty killing ones for later. Get the car looking like you want first, you know?

You could also do the small performance, warranty friendly mods such as a CAI.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
Camaro_h
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_h
yeh
Camaro_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
What about having 2 ECU's one tuned and one stock? It's more expensive but is there a way to show a tune or being flashed with a stock one in? Even if it appeared disconnected wouldn't a disconnected battery do the same thing.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
What about having 2 ECU's one tuned and one stock? It's more expensive but is there a way to show a tune or being flashed with a stock one in? Even if it appeared disconnected wouldn't a disconnected battery do the same thing.
No. It doesn't work. There is NO way to cheat the system. If you want to tune your car be prepared to lose your warranty.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
Brutal SS

Quote:
I believe this came up before, and if I recall correctly, the info will not match on the 2nd ECU. In other words, it's a good thought, but big brother GM will know.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
This pretty well sums it up regarding tunes. Headers alone will be blamed for a wide variety of failures due to extra performance and underhood heat - you probably have a 50-50 chance of having warranty coverage denied when they see the headers. Any major (i.e. expensive) engine or drive train problem that requires approval by a district rep. will almost certainly be denied.

Headers & other serious performance mods put you into the "racer" category as far as GM is concerned...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
get a aftermarket warranty and modd the hell out of your car without any worries.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Flaco2806

Drives: White camaro 2LT/RS
http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/gene...d-my-warranty/
Flaco2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Using search I found 27 threads and counting that go pretty in depth on why this doesn't work.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #21
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
ANY tune, even if you reflash it back to stock afterwards, will void your warranty! And yes, they can tell if it's been re-flashed. If anyone tells you any different, they are mistaken! Tune at your own risk! It really is that simple!

The Camaro's ECU remembers the last 10 tunes that was installed. Even if you flash it back to stock, if GM asks a dealer to read your ECU, GM will be able to see your tune. The ECU also has a flash counter so you can't flash the stock tune 10 times so it no longer remembers your aftermarket tune.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #22
Moe55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
Im with you bro! What I've been doing is trying to feed the mod bug by focusing on cosmetics for now, and save the warranty killing ones for later. Get the car looking like you want first, you know?

You could also do the small performance, warranty friendly mods such as a CAI.
Kinda what I'm leaning toward. Cai for sure and I want some sort of short thro shifter, hurst, or mgw. I want the 4 pack gauges, since my 1ss doesn't have em. Also some lowering springs. I'd like to drop her an inch or so. Oh, and a raptor shift light. That's just a few things I've been thinking that I'd live to have and shouldn't void my warranty
Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #23
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe55 View Post
Kinda what I'm leaning toward. Cai for sure and I want some sort of short thro shifter, hurst, or mgw. I want the 4 pack gauges, since my 1ss doesn't have em. Also some lowering springs. I'd like to drop her an inch or so. Oh, and a raptor shift light. That's just a few things I've been thinking that I'd live to have and shouldn't void my warranty
Sounds like a plan!