Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
ramil13

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
Upgrading Exhaust to new setup

Wondering if there are any other options than just Solo High Cats for the 2012-15 LFX model?

It really sucks that this model doesn't support headers. Is there a way I can do some adjustments for it to support headers? Such as cutting off stuff and re-wielding?

The 2014-15 V6 Mustangs I've heard with headers on sound amazing and very deep toned.... even in acceleration. If I could do something to let headers or make it very deep toned I will never look back about getting v6s

I'm trying to get the deepest tone possible. Don't tell me its impossible because I've seen v6 mustangs sound exactly like a v8 mustang so it can't be impossible.

Also wondering if custom downpipes, manifolds will make it very deep.

This car currently has straight pipe (no mufflers), reasonated magnaflow xpipe #11386

A lot of people tell me the idle sounds very close to the v8. When I turn my heating/AC on the idle becomes more louder and has a similar rhythm to it like the v8. I have a 14 GT so I understand its not going to sound exactly like a v8 but its very close(excluding the high pitched acceleration) <--- Which I am trying to get rid of or reduce

Before startup of car it does backfires pops like the v8 and sounds very sick. Also in tunnels it sounds very deeptoned and aggressive... Makes many loud pops.. Love it... Just trying to make it sound like this always instead of cold temperature settings. I know this car is capable of it just need the right parts and help

Spectre Cold Air Intake #9981, Muffler Delete, VMAX TB, Str8 pipe, Magnaflow Xpipe #11386, Trifecta Tune + Ghost Cam

Last edited by ramil13; 11-19-2016 at 05:37 PM.
ramil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
Deeper tones come from reducing/eliminating high-frequency sound waves as well as slowing down the sound waves, so resonation (for example, from the Solo high-flow cats with their built-in resonators) and larger pipes (such as going from 2.25" to 2.5" after the H-pipe/X-pipe, or even 3" like the ZL1) will help deepen the tone.

If you were to install the Solo cats along with your resonated X-pipe and straight pipe, the only other thing you could do - maybe - is throw on another pair of resonators after the X-pipe - although this is really just speculation on my part; maybe someone from Magnaflow or something can chime in.

It's a shame this engine doesn't have replaceable headers as that is really where the sound changes...

As for sound while accelerating, a cold air intake can really make the engine roar compared to stock - it'll be the engine you're hearing and not the exhaust but it sounds awesome. I have K&N's and am loving it. For my exhaust I still have the factory cats but had a custom cat-back installed which includes the resonated X-pipe and straight 2.5" pipe back with no resonators or mufflers and I think it sounds pretty slick, but am really looking forward to doing the Solo cats eventually.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
It's the same, but you can get the American Racing Headers high flow cats for about 475, much cheaper than the solos.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
ramil13

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
Thanks for the feedback.

This is how my car currently sounds on startup.

I'm trying to make it like this video.

I think what I will be doing is getting a cold air intake and pypes catback exhaust. It has less drone than mine and sounds better.
ramil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
Luis13RS

Drives: 2013 LT RS
From my point of view OP, No one will ever be able to get a very deep tone from a v6. I've tried many different setups and was only able to make it somewhat deep in lower RPMs. Now, most V6s sound bad because of rasp combined with the high pitched 6 cylinder sound. Like I stated before, you can deepen the sound but you need to quite your exhuast system to do so. If you haven't already try doing a 2nd cat delete and go from there. If you want it louder then you can buy some high Flow cats, unless you don't want to cut into the stock downpipes, then just go for the high flow cats. Here are a couple videos of my exhuast:

https://youtu.be/TmK3VMZUAds
https://youtu.be/kCpGmMBunpk
Magnaflow Resonated X pipe with MRT 1, Rear Cat delete, Magnaflow resonators, Dual exhaust tips, White DRL & DRL harness, RGB interior LED/Footwells, 2 12 Kicker L7, 6.5 Polk Dxi component speakers, Blacked out emblems, Semi Gloss Rims, Bronze Painted Calipers, Tinted Taillights/Sidemarkers, ZL1 Spoiler and Grille
Luis13RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
cal777flyer

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
I agree with Luis13RS. I achieved a very similar sound by adding the ARH HFCs to the MF resonated X pipe and MRT v2 exhaust. I didn't want to delete my cats since I live in California. I will be forced to put my stock down pipes and cats back on every inspection, so deleting would not have been an easy option.

The following links are my car with the MRT v2, MF resonated X pipe, and ARH HFCs -
Cold Start -

Warm Idle & Some Revs -
Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Feel free to check out my youtube channel and this video in particular. i have solo high flow cats and a dynomax axle back exhaust. One of the deepest tones i have heard on these cars yet without any rasp. feel free to check out all the exhaust videos on my channel and subscribe for more!

Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramil13 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

This is how my car currently sounds on startup.

I'm trying to make it like this video.

I think what I will be doing is getting a cold air intake and pypes catback exhaust. It has less drone than mine and sounds better.
You have the same crackling noise from your go pro as I do....kinda pissed me off because on mine it wrecked the vid. Maybe because it was to close to the exhaust.

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.... Hurst shifter.....SPI dyno tuned...391 gears with 3200 Circle D stall converter.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
TX12Camaro

Drives: 2012 Cheverolet Camaro 1LT V6
Has anyone tried glass packs with a Magnaflow X-Pipes? Glass packs sound really deep and low on V8 cars.

My only concern with X-Pipes replacing the factory H-Pipe is that these Camaros seem to be "challenged" on the low end anyways, and H-Pipes are designed for better low-end performance vs. the mid- to high-range performance increases for the X-Pipes.
Hypertech Programmer
TX12Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #10
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
The resonated magnaflow x-pipe is used primarily to help eliminate rasp inherent to our V-6 exhaust.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
The best advice to get a deep sound on the V6 will be keep some form of cats (stock or HF), and use decently-sized oval mufflers in the rear. It wont be the loudest setup on the road, but in our opinion, sound quality>quantity.

Our Street axleback #15354 would be just what you need to complete the sound you are looking for. Since you already have our resonated X unit, the sound with the axleback will essentially be the same as our full catback system. You can get a rough idea of the expected sound on this video:

https://youtu.be/v2Rm4UQFtbs

Let us know if you have any questions!
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
TX12Camaro

Drives: 2012 Cheverolet Camaro 1LT V6
Holy $$$ Batman! That part ain't cheap. I'm probably missing something here, but what makes it a better choice than the $349 MBRP System?
Hypertech Programmer
TX12Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX12Camaro View Post
Holy $$$ Batman! That part ain't cheap. I'm probably missing something here, but what makes it a better choice than the $349 MBRP System?
That system does appear to be a muffler delete, so it isn't technically comparing apples to apples. We can say that when you purchase any Magnaflow system, you will be receiving the highest quality exhaust on the market. This means each application spends countless hours in development to ensure that you are getting the best possible sound, power and fitment. We manufacture all Magnaflow products here at our facility in southern California, and stand behind them 100% with a lifetime warranty against any defects!
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #14
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
Mr. Magna_Flow,

About your mufflers, can you tell me, in general, what the differences are between the oval vs. round, performance vs. racing, bigger vs. smaller, longer vs. shorter, and mufflers vs. glass packs?

I recently had a custom cat-back installed and went with your "resonated X-pipe" (#11386) and then 2.5" pipe back (removed factory resonators and mufflers) and love the sound, but am just curious about the effects of adding additional mufflers/glass packs.

Also, I noticed you have cats and cat assemblies for the LFX; are these high-flow cats or generic/OEM cats? I'm considering going with Solo's cat assemblies because they have the resonators and so will deepen the tone, but again am just curious...
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote