Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 04-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Camarolover85

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Just installed my new exhaust!!

Like a kid in a candy store I raced home from work once i saw my package had been delivered. Had no jack (Thanks Chevy) so luckily being skinny paid off as I was able to squirm underneath and do all the work without jacking it up. Really super easy mod!

Felt so good to get those stock anvils off my car! Love the way it sounds! It's quieter than I expected actually, especially at idle and RPM ranges 1000-2000. That's a little disappointing as I was hoping for a louder idle Now I am debating doing a resonator delete and the resonated X-pipe to add a little more noise. How much will that affect my sound of the exhaust though? But man when you open it up it sounds so cool to finally not be dead silent on the road lol. Saw some imports, instead of them revving their fart cans to me and me just taking it and moving on. I dropped it into manual and took off and showed em what a real car sounds like

I bought the Dynomax VT's. Will post some videos if people wanna check it out! :
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
MDcarnut

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT RS
Dude - you're killin' me. I'm all set to pull the trigger on MRT v2 and now this. Can you tell me more about cost, effort to install, etc.? I see that they advertise no drone - any comment on that?

Thanks.
MDcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
nice, small car show in Aurora (Tower/Hampden @ Sonic tomorrow-Fri @ 6pm-). Make it if you can..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Camarolover85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
nice, small car show in Aurora (Tower/Hampden @ Sonic tomorrow-Fri @ 6pm-). Make it if you can..
Sweet!! Thanks for the invite sir! I'm actually off, so I might have to make an appearance!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Camarolover85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcarnut View Post
Dude - you're killin' me. I'm all set to pull the trigger on MRT v2 and now this. Can you tell me more about cost, effort to install, etc.? I see that they advertise no drone - any comment on that?

Thanks.
I was going to do the MRT V1's but I was worried about the drone. I'll be completely honest, I have literally no idea what drone is or if it even affects me lol. On the highway these mufflers seem to be whisper quiet, but when you open it up they really sound great. I may just be immune to drone or it doesn't bother me, but yeah I hear nothing. As far as cost, I snagged them for $398 from JEGS on a price match from autoplicity i think it was, I just googled them and found the cheapest amount to get it matched. Jegs is cool because they just let you enter the URL and the price and they don't even question it.

To install, it was measure 14 inches back along the pipes, sawzall them out and remove the stock one's from the rubber hangers. Than put on the new piece over the existing pipes, attach that pipe into the muffler, adjust and hang in the same hangers and tighten down the clamps. It took me 2 hours and I did it with the camaro's clearance so I was very restricted. Super easy and they look great with the 4 inch tips.

Would you like some videos? I can take some.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Camarolover85

Whoops! Almost forgot, the Dynomax's also have a mail-in rebate right now. $75-100. I haven't figured out if it's MSRP or what you paid. Either way, it's at least a $75 visa card.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
436SS

Drives: 2010 1SS
Sure do! Post the vids! Don't deprive us, lol.
436SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Camarolover85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436SS View Post
Sure do! Post the vids! Don't deprive us, lol.
Lol k it's nice out so I'll go take a drive! I don't have anyone to record from behind so my rev's will be from in the car!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Arkios

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LS
You can also get the VT's here for $352 after using the 15% off promo code at the banner top of the linked site. Free shipping too. Thats where I got mine.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...493/10203588-P

As for the sound: from idle through about 3k rpm the sound is slightly louder and deeper than stock, and ZERO drone when you are just cruising at highway speeds up to 80-ish mph (Drone is a loud, constant humming exhaust sound that is heard reverberating inside the cabin). once you get above 3.5k RPM, the exhaust opens up and gives a good "exotic" car sound, especially when the engine is loaded (moving and in gear, not in neutral).

I like it a lot, but I personally want to make it a little more throaty while maintaining the relative quiet and lack of drone in the low rpms. Like CamaroLover85, I'm considering doing a stock resonator delete and swapping the stock H-pipe for the resonated x-pipe too.

Last edited by Arkios; 04-24-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Arkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
19car69

Drives: 2012 1LS
I have the VT's on my car too. I have been very happy with them.
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, SS leather wrap steering wheel, Leather shift ball, vented engine cover.
19car69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Camarolover85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkios View Post
You can also get the VT's here for $352 after using the 15% off promo code at the banner top of the linked site. Free shipping too. Thats where I got mine.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...493/10203588-P

As for the sound: from idle through about 3k rpm the sound is slightly louder and deeper than stock, and ZERO drone when you are just cruising at highway speeds up to 80-ish mph (Drone is a loud, constant humming exhaust sound that is heard reverberating inside the cabin). once you get above 3.5k RPM, the exhaust opens up and gives a good "exotic" car sound, especially when the engine is loaded (moving and in gear, not in neutral).

I like it a lot, but I personally want to make it a little more throaty while maintaining the relative quiet and lack of drone in the low rpms. Like CamaroLover85, I'm considering doing a stock resonator delete and swapping the stock H-pipe for the resonated x-pipe too.
oh dang you killed my deal! Wish I had known about that! Totally agree on everything else though! I'm working on the video uploads though so they'll be up soon!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Camarolover85

We're live with the first one!

This was just startup, a few revs and then a little get up and go pulling out of my neighborhood. Short streets, lots of traffic, not a whole lot of room to go nuts. Next video with be highway though
Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Camarolover85

K the last one is almost uploaded! Use good headphones! Makes a HUGE difference, you can't hear the lows of the exhaust at all without them.

Hard rev onto the highway and then some driving with the windows down.

The 3rd video is just the exact same but the windows are up. Traffic sucks, construction everywhere, it was a pain to really get going fast at all.

Last edited by Camarolover85; 04-24-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
Arkios

Nice vids. Oh and your dog seems to be enjoying your new exhaust too!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
Camarolover85

Quote:
Nice vids. Oh and your dog seems to be enjoying your new exhaust too!

hahaha yeah I take him everywhere. Poor guy slid off my lap

Thanks though! Still debating the resonator delete and the X-pipe, we shall see. Honestly, I'm half considering making this car a ZL1 replica for fun and getting a supercharger. I can have one for free because my friend makes them and has been bugging me to do it, just don't know if I wanna do that or not. A 2LS with 30MPG that has a supercharger and looks like a ZL1. Epic.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
Arkios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
A 2LS with 30MPG that has a supercharger and looks like a ZL1. Epic.
Well, when you put it like that, you really have no reason not to!

Personally, I am definitely going to pull the trigger on (at least) the resonator delete and resonated X-pipe swap some time next month.

Also, after reading through another thread, I now have this idea rattling around in my head of replacing the stock resonators with a Cherry Bomb Extreme or Glasspack setup too... I'm pretty sure it will sound deeper and more aggressive than just a resonator delete, but I have no idea whether it will have terrible drone... I'm hoping that, between my Dynomax VT mufflers and a resonated X-pipe, it wont. Im not 100% sold on the idea yet. We shall see.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Camarolover85

Quote:
Well, when you put it like that, you really have no reason not to!

Personally, I am definitely going to pull the trigger on (at least) the resonator delete and resonated X-pipe swap some time next month.

Also, after reading through another thread, I now have this idea rattling around in my head of replacing the stock resonators with a Cherry Bomb Extreme or Glasspack setup too... I'm pretty sure it will sound deeper and more aggressive than just a resonator delete, but I have no idea whether it will have terrible drone... I'm hoping that, between my Dynomax VT mufflers and a resonated X-pipe, it wont. Im not 100% sold on the idea yet. We shall see.
Keep me updated!! If you do the delete and just the pipe I want to hear how it sounds. I'd really just like a little more noise at idle and lower RPM's. i find myself revving it higher now just to hear it lol. I'm going to read that thread though, haven't heard about that.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
Earnhardtfan77

Drives: Summit White 2012 1LT/RS
i did a muffler delete and a xpipe over the weekend...the sound is awesome..but the car is too loud for me..im wondering if adding some kind of aftermarket mufflers would tone it down a bit for me
Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMaxx ported throttle body, RX catch can, Led Interior Lights, Led License plate lights, Hood Spears, Blacked Out Rear Trunk panel, Gills, Blacked Out Front Fascia, and Bow tie
Earnhardtfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
Camarolover85

Mufflers would definitely tone it down, listen to my videos, mines not all that loud.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
SSTumbler
2SS Tumbler

Drives: 2010 2SS black
Awesome!
SSTumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #21
Camarolover85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTumbler View Post
Awesome!
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
Earnhardtfan77

Drives: Summit White 2012 1LT/RS
Quote:
Mufflers would definitely tone it down, listen to my videos, mines not all that loud.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
ill check it out right now
Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMaxx ported throttle body, RX catch can, Led Interior Lights, Led License plate lights, Hood Spears, Blacked Out Rear Trunk panel, Gills, Blacked Out Front Fascia, and Bow tie
Earnhardtfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
19car69

Drives: 2012 1LS
Quote:
hahaha yeah I take him everywhere. Poor guy slid off my lap

Thanks though! Still debating the resonator delete and the X-pipe, we shall see. Honestly, I'm half considering making this car a ZL1 replica for fun and getting a supercharger. I can have one for free because my friend makes them and has been bugging me to do it, just don't know if I wanna do that or not. A 2LS with 30MPG that has a supercharger and looks like a ZL1. Epic.
What kind of supercharger does your friend make? I would love to supercharge my car but the cost is the biggest problem I have.
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, SS leather wrap steering wheel, Leather shift ball, vented engine cover.
19car69 is offline   Reply With Quote