Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Warsteiner

Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT Vert
Factory Speakers

I am looking at replacing the factory amp. Can anyone tell me what impedence the factory speakers are? I am looking at getting an amp that does 2 ohm and am not sure if the speakers are better with 4 ohm. This would obviously change the amp I am about to purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Warsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
The front speakers are 2Ω, for both the BA and non-BA systems. The rear speakers are 2Ω for the BA system, and 4Ω for the non-BA systems.

If you actually break it down, the front speakers and rear BA speakers are actually two sets of 4Ω speakers, woofer and tweeter, wired in parallel for a net resistance of 2Ω. The non-BA rear speakers are 4Ω and there are no rear tweeters.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
If you are just going with an amp upgrade to the factory speakers you will get good results if you don't push the speakers too hard. I installed my PDX 4.150 amp sending 150 watts to the factory speakers and they sounded great till I started pushing them a bit, then they start popping from too much power. I think an amp sending 50-75 watts each would be good with the stock speakers. Then you can upgrade the speakers later and it will sound even better. Then a sub, or the sub first. Then more power, then better speakers and sound proofing. Then........................................
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Warsteiner

Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT Vert
I forgot to mention that I have a vert. Does that change anything for the rear speakers? I plan to replace the factory sub at the same time I put in the amp. I already have a sub to put in that spot I just don't think it would be worth putting in until I replace the amp.
Warsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
I forgot to mention that I have a vert. Does that change anything for the rear speakers? I plan to replace the factory sub at the same time I put in the amp. I already have a sub to put in that spot I just don't think it would be worth putting in until I replace the amp.
I have no idea what the impedance is for the rear speakers in a convertible.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
I can check when I get to work later this evening to see if we have the impedance of the rear speakers for the convertible in our system and let you know. I'm not sure if they are the same or not either.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote