Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #171
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcfwu View Post
I think Ford will put next gen GT40 against the ZR1. But, even that, I am not sure if we are comparing apple to apple.
In my book , when one says bring all that you have , i have to assume that they will bring all they have , so i will do just that . Therefor it will be APLLES TO APPLES.
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #172
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Hooray for both cars. As far as the MT article, there is nothing new, unanticipated or unexpected. Variety is the spice of life as they say. Certainly there is a great bit of it between the two. Congrats to GM on providing a wider array of it across all metrics! If it were a triathalon, ZL1 wins. Outstanding GM....
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #173
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Did anyone notice that the ZL1's wheels are only "cast aluminum" according to Motortrend? That's.. ghetto..
"Ghetto" is a bit of a stretch... I think they retail for about $1100/ea
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #174
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
Have to post. First of all I'm not a Ford fan and never will be. I agree with those who say the comparo wasn't completely fair. I'm sure the GT500 had both the performance and track packs. So for a real comparo add the $6000 in mods to the ZL1. The hp would be even with the GT500 and the numbers would be very close together. This comparo showed what I learned while working on a winged sprint car in NY, Pa and Canada. Fords may have outright power but cannot maintain thier advantage. I'm a very happy ZL1 owner that will be tracking my car as often as I can. To know that my car will maintain it's speed and handling is great. Bring on the Fords.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #175
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
If I had a ford dealer connection I would have a gt500 next year. Lol

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (672/639 at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #176
72MachOne99GT

Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
Have to post. First of all I'm not a Ford fan and never will be. I agree with those who say the comparo wasn't completely fair. I'm sure the GT500 had both the performance and track packs. So for a real comparo add the $6000 in mods to the ZL1. The hp would be even with the GT500 and the numbers would be very close together. This comparo showed what I learned while working on a winged sprint car in NY, Pa and Canada. Fords may have outright power but cannot maintain thier advantage. I'm a very happy ZL1 owner that will be tracking my car as often as I can. To know that my car will maintain it's speed and handling is great. Bring on the Fords.
You open way too many can of worms....

Can't I make an equally strong argument that they should have tested a base model '13 GT500, then with the 1300 they saved in Gas Guzzler tax bought SS brake lines, upgraded the fluid, and cut holes in the front of the car to greatly improve braking?

I totally understand what you're saying, I just don't feel it's really a valid argument simply because once that starts holding water, so does every other possible combination of scenarios.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #177
tt335ci03cobra

Drives: 03 cobra 5.3 4v fgt's+62's
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
Slaps face... So I guess I can just bring on my fully maximum motorsports tubular suspended aix suspended, stiffly sprung/dampened, trutrac'd, 900whp powered, nt05 shod, brembo haulted, chassis braced 03 cobra against your bone stock zl1 since I'm only at $50k in mods and car. I'm confident enough that we both know how that would end that I'll just let you have the $5,000 i saved over a bone stock zl1 to mod your car. Bottom line? Modded vs stock is a silly argument. Hell, a kid with a $25,000 s15 would likely out do my car pretty easily given the right ls2 tt swap and tubular suspension. Let alone a $20,000 miata. Enjoy/build what you like, someone will always be faster/got more bang for the buck.

Back to reality now, modded is modded and stock is stock. Both cars have amazing pros for the money and minor cons relative to the other.

One has amazing handling but could do even better with more power, the other has amazing power (and goes 200), but could use some braking and handling mods.
-9.3/1 Livernois 5.3 modular, Diamond, Carrillo etc
-FGT heads stage 3 PnP'd, MMR stage 3 turbo grinds
-FR500c, custom split maf dual inlet, single blade etc
-Comp 62/65 T4's 3xbb, oil/water cooled, blankets etc
-CG Fab. ff headers, custom 3" hotside, Tial wastegates
-Dual in/out 3" cold side, Tial bov's, Truboost, SCT, NGk
-Custom 8qt oil, dual 405s return fuel with id2000's, etc
tt335ci03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #178
alexcfwu

Drives: 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
I think Ford will put next gen GT40 against the ZR1. But, even that, I am not sure if we are comparing apple to apple.
Oh, man, praise to Ford and GM if they can keep this going for muscle car fans like us.

It would be even nicer if they can bring the price down on those so we can buy them as opposed to watch them on Youtube...
alexcfwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #179
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
So, Ford has a faster car and Chevy has a better-handling vehicle...a Lambo vs a Ferrari imo..you can't lose w/ either one..or can you?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #180
ramairjohn2000

Drives: 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberB5.Slow View Post
I'd still prefer a straight line car than a corner carver anyday. I'd rather have the advantage where I can use it anywhere on any road where 99% of driving will take place, rather than making excuses, "Well if we were at the Autocross..." . GT500 in my book, it's faster and more powerful.

If I wanted a corner carver I'd build a kickass 240 for half the money and smoke both cars on the track.

But each to their own! If it wasn't for this rivalry these cars wouldn't exsist today.
Umm no offense but that is definitely one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard, the handling and braking and balance of a car are more important than power, especially from a rolling start. Having road raced my car and smoked more powerful cars cuz I could break and handle better. Hp per pound is also important but it has to be able to be directed and controlled. Gt500 is an impressive car but you can't deny the zl1s superiority. Sorry man but drag racing will seem. Boring once you track race your car. Just my humble. Opinion.
ramairjohn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #181
tt335ci03cobra

Drives: 03 cobra 5.3 4v fgt's+62's
Why settle? Build your car to do both and be done with it.
-9.3/1 Livernois 5.3 modular, Diamond, Carrillo etc
-FGT heads stage 3 PnP'd, MMR stage 3 turbo grinds
-FR500c, custom split maf dual inlet, single blade etc
-Comp 62/65 T4's 3xbb, oil/water cooled, blankets etc
-CG Fab. ff headers, custom 3" hotside, Tial wastegates
-Dual in/out 3" cold side, Tial bov's, Truboost, SCT, NGk
-Custom 8qt oil, dual 405s return fuel with id2000's, etc
tt335ci03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #182
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
So, Ford has a faster car and Chevy has a better-handling vehicle...a Lambo vs a Ferrari imo..you can't lose w/ either one..or can you?
Faster in the 1/4 mile no doubt as reported, but with somewhat less than desired results with the superior weight reduction and HP advantage. Amost 300 pounds lighter with 82 more HP should equate better than .5 seconds difference in what MT magazine reported. After one fast lap, with brakes burning to the point of being detected in the pits, with subsequent fading lap times behind the ZL1, Ford has nothing to stand on with track performance, other than an advantage in long straightaways with geometrical smoove curves, such as a perfectly oval track per se. Theres not alot of those around I surmise. Both are grand cars no doubt, but Chevy wins the overall comparison chess game. Check mate. Back to the drawing board Ford.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #183
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I really wish the mags would post 60-ft times. Clearly the GT500 is the winner when it comes to straight line performance but is traction limited. However, one thing that strikes me as odd is it's only a .50 second faster in the 1/4 mile in almost every comparison test yet it dynos 100 rwhp more than the ZL1 and weighs approximately 200-lbs less. The difference in trap speeds ranges from 6 mph to 11 mph. IMO the difference in ET should be more even taken into consideration the lack of traction for the GT500.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #184
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Faster in the 1/4 mile no doubt as reported, but with somewhat less than desired results with the superior weight reduction and HP advantage. Amost 300 pounds lighter with 82 more HP should equate better than .5 seconds difference in what MT magazine reported. After one fast lap, with brakes burning to the point of being detected in the pits, with subsequent fading lap times behind the ZL1, Ford has nothing to stand on with track performance, other than an advantage in long straightaways with geometrical smoove curves, such as a perfectly oval track per se. Theres not alot of those around I surmise. Both are grand cars no doubt, but Chevy wins the overall comparison chess game. Check mate. Back to the drawing board Ford.
Even with the fading lap times because of the brakes the GT500 was still faster than any ZL1 lap. What problem is easier and cheaper to fix? Being slower in the straight line and coming up with another 100rwhp or changing fluid and brake pads to address overheating? Just saying....

Oh and I see you're in Jersey. Love to see that ZL1 slip down to MD and show my Boss what it can do on some great driving roads in my part of the state.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #185
bpmurr
The Enemy ;)

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I really wish the mags would post 60-ft times. Clearly the GT500 is the winner when it comes to straight line performance but is traction limited. However, one thing that strikes me as odd is it's only a .50 second faster in the 1/4 mile in almost every comparison test yet it dynos 100 rwhp more than the ZL1 and weighs approximately 200-lbs less. The difference in trap speeds ranges from 6 mph to 11 mph. IMO the difference in ET should be more even taken into consideration the lack of traction for the GT500.
With slicks the GT500 is going to take a more commanding lead.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #186
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
Even with the fading lap times because of the brakes the GT500 was still faster than any ZL1 lap. What problem is easier and cheaper to fix? Being slower in the straight line and coming up with another 100rwhp or changing fluid and brake pads to address overheating? Just saying....

Oh and I see you're in Jersey. Love to see that ZL1 slip down to MD and show my Boss what it can do on some great driving roads in my part of the state.
....LOL........shoulda, coulda, woulda, it's ok to be in denial. I understand.....
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #187
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
It would be even nicer if they can bring the price down on those so we can buy them as opposed to watch them on Youtube...
+1
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote