Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
heRS


 
heRS's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 View Post
It failed the most important test... at the dragstrip.. Car is too heavy..
If you are into the dragstrip. Screaming success elsewise. The 1LE is being designed for the strip though so watch out!
__________________
Tori
click the sig pic to view my build thread


heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1
 
BAD ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
I prefer the GT500 but I do think they should be doing some base car tests too. If not, there's always gonna be these what if's. There are multiple things that are contributing to that price difference though. The Shelby has a bit more options that can drive its price up than the ZL1 does. The performance package and track packages are less than $8k combined.

I too think base model tests need to be done. The mustang has options that drive its price up like you said, of which come standard on the camaro at base price.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
Tysen


 
Tysen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
If you are into the dragstrip. Screaming success elsewise. The 1LE is being designed for the strip though so watch out!
I thought the COPO was going to be the dragstrip Camaro?
__________________
"I'm a man who discovered the wheel, and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn! That's what kind of man I am." - Ron Burgundy
My build thread
Tysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,092
Well they can say what they want and back it all up for all I care. GT500 would be my choice any day. The ZL1 might be faster on a road course, but I would much rather know that the overzealous douche in the ZL1 wouldn't beat me to the merge.

And of course it would be a merge on a closed course. Bc we all know nobody on this site would dare street race.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #30
GrabberB5.Slow
 
GrabberB5.Slow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Doyle View Post
If GM was offering an $8000 dollar power package to match the $8000 dollar performance package that the reviewers always seem to include when comparing the ZL1 to the GT500 would this make it closer to an apples to apples test or should they be testing both vehicles at base price?

Or does everyone, including Ford fans, think it is fair comparing a $64,770 GT500 against a $56,365 ZL1?
It has the SVT performance package, which includes upgraded Torsen Differential, Upgraded Dampers, different rear springs along with upgraded wheels. All for $3,400.

Where is this "$8,000" package you speak of?

There's the SVT Track Package that includes an upgraded cooling system for $2,900 but the article never said it was included. Even if it was equipped, we arn't at an added $8,000 .
__________________
GrabberB5.Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #31
papawattz
 
papawattz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS +2014 El Tigre
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South West Michigan
Posts: 330
If all you want to do is go in a straight line(1/4 mile) Save yourself about $50K and build a fox body stang or 3rd/4th gen camaro, about 10 grand spent on car and go fast goodies and I bet you would beat the 2013 gt 500 I would buy the all around performer............ ZL1
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
frcdfed
 
Drives: 04 GTO
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 16
wow actually a really good review, completely split and unbiased. And yes the war will continue with no real winner. I am a little suprised in the quarter time for both cars, figured they would be able to hustle the ZL to a sub 12s run and definately did not expect the Muskrat to put up that high a MPH.
frcdfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
GmcSierra6.2
 
Drives: 05 gmc sierra 6.2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: maryland
Posts: 34
Car for the drag strip.... Copo
__________________
"It's like a 21 year old stripper marrying a 86 year billionare, it doesn't make sense but, they 're both going to have a great time."
GmcSierra6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #34
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,285
A lot of the GT500 racers add brake cooling ducts which makes the biggest difference as evidenced by the ZL1's fantastic consistent results. However there were brake duct ports behind the grilles of the previous GT500s; with the new GT500 grill-less grilles, where would the brake duct tubes attach to?

Anyway, clearly GM made a very well balanced car and the Europeans should be afraid.

I saw this tongue-in-cheek jab posted up in another forum:


..which shows that the 2013 GT500 was made to win these tests, but the ZL1 was made to win track races consistently.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #35
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...
 
BowtieBelle's Avatar
 
Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14,095
The COPO is GM's drag Camaro. The ZL1 is an all-around beast, designed to be driven on the road or the road course, not a quarter-mile at a time. And 11's/12's out of a factory car is pretty damn impressive; I don't care who you are.



__________________
"Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff." -CamaroSpike

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
C5RocksC5
Banned
 
C5RocksC5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Posts: 697
Taking from the performance feedback from several mag reviews so far, and the only thing that hasn't changed is the dominance of the GT500 in straightline race, it simply runs away from the ZL1. Track performance seems to vary depending on the track and who is testing. I wouldn't call either of these two cars a "one trick pony." $60k American cars delivering $100k+ performance. Simply awesome.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #37
2SS 2011

 
2SS 2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Anyone can drive in a straight line. ZL1 won where it counts, IMO.
You are right.. It's just who can drive the best in a straight line
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
C5RocksC5
Banned
 
C5RocksC5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
A lot of the GT500 racers add brake cooling ducts which makes the biggest difference as evidenced by the ZL1's fantastic consistent results. However there were brake duct ports behind the grilles of the previous GT500s; with the new GT500 grill-less grilles, where would the brake duct tubes attach to?

Anyway, clearly GM made a very well balanced car and the Europeans should be afraid.

I saw this tongue-in-cheek jab posted up in another forum:


..which shows that the 2013 GT500 was made to win these tests, but the ZL1 was made to win track races consistently.
Damn, that puts it really clear. It hurts me to look at it. Time to put the LS9 in the ZL1!
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #39
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,285
Another thing, and this hasn't been mentioned as a key point even though it should: when the ZL1 was matched against the Boss, the ZL1 won because of the Boss' brake fade. The same is repeating itself with the GT500. The track performance of the Mustangs is severely limited by an insufficient brake package.

Ford needs to add brake cooling ducts as mandatory and it's ridiculous that they haven't. Kudos to GM for doing this.

People are focusing too much on the ZL1's suspension, or the GT500's power. The deciding factor is brakes folks!
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #40
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
Damn, that puts it really clear. It hurts me to look at it. Time to put the LS9 in the ZL1!
Yeah but I think the Motortrend's test really put things in perspective. The brake fade of the GT500 is very disappointing and it shows that the ZL1 really is a complete and balanced package whereas the GT500 does have its flaws.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #41
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Doyle View Post
If GM was offering an $8000 dollar power package to match the $8000 dollar performance package that the reviewers always seem to include when comparing the ZL1 to the GT500 would this make it closer to an apples to apples test or should they be testing both vehicles at base price?

Or does everyone, including Ford fans, think it is fair comparing a $64,770 GT500 against a $56,365 ZL1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
I think you have a great point. I was thinking the same thing, but you put it into words. Adding 8G to the ZL1 motor hmmm...wonder how that race turns out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
I too think base model tests need to be done. The mustang has options that drive its price up like you said, of which come standard on the camaro at base price.
Exactly, there was an almost $9k price difference in the cars tested.
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #42
C5RocksC5
Banned
 
C5RocksC5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Posts: 697
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the GT500 still be faster in a straightline at the base price that is cheaper than the ZL1's base price due to no GG for the GT500?
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #43
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberB5.Slow View Post
It has the SVT performance package, which includes upgraded Torsen Differential, Upgraded Dampers, different rear springs along with upgraded wheels. All for $3,400.

Where is this "$8,000" package you speak of?

There's the SVT Track Package that includes an upgraded cooling system for $2,900 but the article never said it was included. Even if it was equipped, we arn't at an added $8,000 .
Taken from the MT article

PRICE AS TESTED
ZL1 - $56,365
GT500 - $64,770
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #44
Rangore

 
Rangore's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,013
Both great cars! ZL1 seems to be more livable for driving comfort. Great comparison article.

I'm a Chevy guy, so it's Camaro all the way for my vote of best car.
__________________
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #45
rez333

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Joseph
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Exactly, there was an almost $9k price difference in the cars tested.
That's not an argument. European cars are frequently matched against each other with greater than $10k price difference. It's all about % difference not $ difference, and the % difference is within 30% which is quite reasonable for match-ups.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #46
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
That's not an argument. European cars are frequently matched against each other with greater than $10k price difference. It's all about % difference not $ difference, and the % difference is within 30% which is quite reasonable for match-ups.
30% is reasonable

Testing a $200k car against a $210k car is reasonable
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #47
Betiwin
 
Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 185
The Shelby has options the Z doesn't have that do nothing for performance. Glass top, NAV, car covers, subwoofers don't count. It's about a 5K price difference between the two.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #48
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betiwin View Post
The Shelby has options the Z doesn't have that do nothing for performance. Glass top, NAV, car covers, subwoofers don't count. It's about a 5K price difference between the two.
And the ZL1 was still declared the winner, by several reviews now. Although the GT500 is a great car, its overpriced and still not quite as good as the ZL1.
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #49
Betiwin
 
Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 185
What about an Auto ZL1? Does any one think the magazines would pick the Auto Z against the GT500. We all keep asking about the base GT500 what about the auto Z that a large percentage have bought.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead
 
WheelmanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Anyone can drive in a straight line.
lol. Ever drag / bracket raced? Yea, anyone can do it
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
573 RWHP 498 RWTQ
- Vortech V3 Supercharger
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.