Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #421
LeviG
 
LeviG's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamellis View Post
So the new GT500 is Ford's new bad boy, correct? So why compare it to GM's third or fourth meanest car and not the ZR-1? I mean to be completely fair... manufacturer vs. manufacturer.

Seriously? Compare a Mustang to a Corvette?? The ZR1 would completely smear teh GT500. You dont think a $110,000 Corvette will totally outperform a $65,000ish Mustang?
__________________
They tell me I have ADD, but they just don't underst... Hey look! A Camaro!


LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #422
devildog1679
 
Drives: Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WI
Posts: 12
The below stats says it all why can't you guys just admit it or at least give it credit? It may not be the better looking car, it may not be the best handling car but it does hold its own and in the hands of a real driver it will post faster Laptimes. It may be harder to control but in the end it's who crosses that line first that counts. For those argue "Well just add another 80HP and it will smoke the GT500". I would counter add IRS and magnets to the 500 and it will smoke it. Just admit it guys, whether it be 0-60, 1/4, some tracks, the GT500 is the faster car plain and simple. Just look at stats below.

GM and Camaro Crowd said
ZL1 would be faster to 60- NOPE
GT500 wouldnt be able to put power down in 1/4 mile- 11.6 at 125 seems like its hooking to me.
GT500 won't be able to hang with the magnetized ZL1 on a road course. it set faster laps on 2 different tracks, tied it on another and was slightly slower on the last one.

Everything some said the GT500 couldnt do, it does and does it better then they thought.

Case closed now enjoy your car. I own a mere 412HP 5.0 but I would gladly take a ZL1 or GT500.

devildog1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #423
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
A pad upgrade may not be only thing that the GT500 needs. My experience with brake fade was at my job. I drive a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T (no road/track pkg). Talk about the Camaro being a heavy pig. This car was a heavier pig. Chasing stolen cars was not fun. The speed & power was there, but when it came to slowing and braking, it got scary. After about a couple of hard braking episodes, the pedal feel was sluggish and pulsating. When applying the brakes, the car started to have that shudder feeling, the feeling of the whole car shaking. I started to stand on the brakes just to slow down coming to a corner. When it got too scary, I called off the chase.

First thing I did was change brake pads. It got a little better, but still got the shudder feeling after awhile. Pedal still pulsated, but the car stopped better than before. I ended up upgrading the rotors, pads and lines. Talk about night and day difference. Pedal feel was solid and brake fade is a thing of the past. Only spent $1000 because I wanted to upgrade my suspension also. So when the pro drivers spoke about brake fade in the GT500, I completely understood. I'm no professional driver, but do get a lot of training on our EVOC track at the academy. It's similar to Auto Xing, but geared for police work. Brake fade was our biggest problem. We drive Crown Vic Police Interceptors, and they can't stop for beans.
So you spent your own money to upgrade your patrol car? Pretty cool. I'm guessing they won't assign you a new car anytime soon, that would be a waste.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #424
DanSS24

 
DanSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
So you spent your own money to upgrade your patrol car? Pretty cool. I'm guessing they won't assign you a new car anytime soon, that would be a waste.
Oh...it's my personal car. In our state, and I think we're the only state, we can use approved vehicles for use in patrol. I chose the Dodge Charger R/T only because it's the only V8 RWD sedan other than the Crown Vic available. I'm a Chevy guy, but they didn't have a RWD V8 at the time. Now there's the Caprice PPV. I get subsidies for vehicle maintenance and repairs. Oh...and I get free gas (only 89 octane though, but at least it's free). Everything else is out of pocket expenses.
__________________

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #425
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,732
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...all good reads and points from both side. As they stand, cool cars, formitable opponents. Bottom line from my perspective. It will take alot more money and potentially not enough off the shelf parts or technology currently available for the Mustang to complete with a MR based Camaro platform than the Camaro would need to upgrade the HP with simple available off the shelf ready mods. Plus, one can't even begin to compare the ride quality, driver comfort, and overall Happy Happy Joy Joy one gets operating the Camaro that has been reported several times over about the wanting to get back behind the wheel with no driver discomfort or fatigue with seat time. There is much to be said about that.
Totaly agree. For the price of an intake, smaller pulley, headers and a tune I think the Camaro gets the Shelby. BUT same goes for the shelby. Pulley down and tune it to pick up even more ponies.

I think no contest in auto cross but everhwhere else performance number wise Ford did outstanding. I suspect it'll be a draw on the street though due to the lack of driving ability from owners in both and the ford being a bit harder to drive.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #426
peteypab2133
 
Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
Mustang faster in a straight line. Camaro faster in a circle. Camaro better overall car. Case closed.
Soooo what your saying is when a camaro meets a mustang the camaro owner should just pull over and do circles till the magnetic potion squeezes out of the shocks?

J/k.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #427
peteypab2133
 
Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Totaly agree. For the price of an intake, smaller pulley, headers and a tune I think the Camaro gets the Shelby. BUT same goes for the shelby. Pulley down and tune it to pick up even more ponies.

I think no contest in auto cross but everhwhere else performance number wise Ford did outstanding. I suspect it'll be a draw on the street though due to the lack of driving ability from owners in both and the ford being a bit harder to drive.
Crazy outta your mind. Sorry for being blunt. Yes the zl1 will out autox the stang. No it will not even get near it on the open road. Gear, HP/weight all favor the ford.

As for the bad drivers? I think all the journalists proved that BOTH cars were surprisingly easy to get the power to the ground. Everyone asked for marry Poppins to take over the muscle cars with driver assists, now we get the help and it appears its still not good enough for some drivers. Have you ever sat back and thought some for some folks these cars are just "out of their league". Just because someone can AFFORD to buy it doesn't make it a wise decision don't you think?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #428
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
The below stats says it all why can't you guys just admit it or at least give it credit? It may not be the better looking car, it may not be the best handling car but it does hold its own and in the hands of a real driver it will post faster Laptimes. It may be harder to control but in the end it's who crosses that line first that counts. For those argue "Well just add another 80HP and it will smoke the GT500". I would counter add IRS and magnets to the 500 and it will smoke it. Just admit it guys, whether it be 0-60, 1/4, some tracks, the GT500 is the faster car plain and simple. Just look at stats below.

GM and Camaro Crowd said
ZL1 would be faster to 60- NOPE
GT500 wouldnt be able to put power down in 1/4 mile- 11.6 at 125 seems like its hooking to me.
GT500 won't be able to hang with the magnetized ZL1 on a road course. it set faster laps on 2 different tracks, tied it on another and was slightly slower on the last one.

Everything some said the GT500 couldnt do, it does and does it better then they thought.

Case closed now enjoy your car. I own a mere 412HP 5.0 but I would gladly take a ZL1 or GT500.


Another troll Don't know what or who you're getting you're information but everybody knows that the GT500 is a beast, you're just posting you're little diagram just to be argumentative and looking to get your feelings assuaged.......awww -somebody said the gt500 couldn't do this... and it couldn't do that...- oh boohoo, I'm sorry you're little feelings were hurt. Feel better now?
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.


Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 06-29-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #429
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
Maybe you and I are watching a different review. 11:20-13:05 pretty much sum's up Randy's on-track opinion.

Contrary to other members I interpreted Randy's experience as favoring the GT500 when it came to fun factor.
I think his smile lasted longer in the Camaro
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #430
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
^ According to the video handling wasn't the GT500's problem at all, it was it lack of braking performance. Fix that and its gonna take a lot more then a pulley/ tune on a ZL1 to beat it, especially after watching what Torq's pullied, long tubed, tuned and DR's ZL1 did against a X-pipe, tune'd, and DR'd GT500 in the 1/4.
You go from handling to the 1/4 I didn't think handling was necessary in the 1/4? Braking and handling are important in the road courses and yes the GT500 was very capable as Randy stated in terms of handling, but then you take the braking issue and relate it to the 1/4 track. Very confusing :(
FYI - Torq is a newb to the 1/4 mile track, he's more an road course, autocross guy.
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.


Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 06-29-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #431
PistonsFan
 
Drives: 08 CTS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
^ According to the video handling wasn't the GT500's problem at all, it was it lack of braking performance. Fix that and its gonna take a lot more then a pulley/ tune on a ZL1 to beat it, especially after watching what Torq's pullied, long tubed, tuned and DR's ZL1 did against a X-pipe, tune'd, and DR'd GT500 in the 1/4.
Read the review. The ZL1 was much faster through the corners.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #432
Stew


 
Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastern, Ky
Posts: 3,789
Some of these mag reviews confuse me, MT had brake issues with the Shelby, but one of Car and Driver's pros was the Shelby's fade free brakes.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #433
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Oh...it's my personal car. In our state, and I think we're the only state, we can use approved vehicles for use in patrol. I chose the Dodge Charger R/T only because it's the only V8 RWD sedan other than the Crown Vic available. I'm a Chevy guy, but they didn't have a RWD V8 at the time. Now there's the Caprice PPV. I get subsidies for vehicle maintenance and repairs. Oh...and I get free gas (only 89 octane though, but at least it's free). Everything else is out of pocket expenses.
__________________


Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #434
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!
 
Fenderaddict2's Avatar
 
Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
Read the review. The ZL1 was much faster through the corners.
Any IRS Camaro with or without MR should be able to carry more speed through a corner than the SRA Mustang, which takes advantage accelerating out of said corner.
__________________


Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.