Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Beave
 
Beave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 20
For those who don't know!

I have a 2011 SS/RS with around 10K miles. I started hearing a slight rubbing sound when backing out of the driveway, or turning at slow speeds. I looked at everything, and could never find a sign of the noise. I didn't hear the noise all of the time, just every so often. I took my car in yesterday for oil change and service, I asked the guys to check out the sound. Turns out that 2011 and 2012 models have an issue with a clutch located in the rear of transmission. I could never pin point the sound, but evidently it was coming from the under the center of the back seat (location of transmission and differential). The service guys said that it is not a recall but an issue they are watching and playing close to the vest. The fix is to drain and change out the transmission and differential fluids then replace with a special super secret fluid. The service guys said so far only one car has had to have parts replaced, and that included a transmission and rear end.
Beave is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....
 
Ladybugsmom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,571
Special super secret fluid???
__________________
High Heels and Fast Wheels!!
Ladybugsmom is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Beave
 
Beave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 20
I said super secret fluid, because when I asked what they were replacing it with they would only say that it was a special fluid recomended by GM for the fix. They would never give me a brand or any other details. They said GM was being very cautious about this issue
Beave is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Chrisrp454

 
Chrisrp454's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Granbury, Tx
Posts: 1,541
It's Secret Sauce!
__________________
Always Remember! Rest in Peace Brothers
9/11/2001. And thanks to all those who defend and serve!


Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
dkg11
 
dkg11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 389
i have a 2010 ss and i have a similar problem everyonce in a while when backing out of a driveway...only happens on an incline and its only once and a while and it sounds like your scrapping the bottom a little... should i be worried about this or say something tot he dealer? also ever have problem putting itin reverse or it not go into reverse smoothly?
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/LS3
Magna Flow Street series Exhaust
Airaid Intake+throttle body
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
#13933
dkg11 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things
 
Sir Nuke's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeast of Houston, Texas
Posts: 16,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrp454 View Post
It's Secret Sauce!
so.......if he ever wants or needs to replace it he has to go to "JACK in the BOX" .... hmmmmmmmmmmm


__________________
Sir Nuke is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Beave
 
Beave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 20
The service guys didn't say anything about 2010, only 2011 and 2012. But that sounds like what I was hearing. I never had issues with putting it into gear. I have had no issues at all, other than the sound. It was pretty clear that the car should not be making that sound
Beave is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
midnighter
Account Suspended
 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: a hole
Posts: 21,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrp454 View Post
It's Secret Sauce!
Thousand Islands dressing?
midnighter is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Beave
 
Beave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 20
I don't care if it's balsamic vinaigrette just so long as it fixes the issue
Beave is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beave View Post
The service guys didn't say anything about 2010, only 2011 and 2012. But that sounds like what I was hearing. I never had issues with putting it into gear. I have had no issues at all, other than the sound. It was pretty clear that the car should not be making that sound
Had you changed your transmission and differential fluid yourself yet? I changed mine and the fluids that came out from the factory were nasty and had a lot of gunk in it. If I hadn't changed the fluid, I can imagine it'd be a problem in time. Curious if yours was still the factory fluid or replaced?
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Secret Squirrel
 
Secret Squirrel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS SOLD
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Thousand Islands dressing?
Thousand Island dressing is some bad ass stuff. Only a matter of time before they broke into the automotive industry. You can use it for just about anything...burgers, fries, salad, differentials...you name it!
__________________
Secret Squirrel is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
dkg11
 
dkg11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 389
ill ask them at the dealership when i bring it in friday for some other maintenance but thank you!
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/LS3
Magna Flow Street series Exhaust
Airaid Intake+throttle body
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
#13933
dkg11 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Beave
 
Beave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 20
I had not changed the fluids, it was factory fluid.
Beave is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,528
Wonder if that's what the cause was. I know my factory fluid was absolutely disgusting when it drained out. I changed mine around 2,000 miles to switch over to fully synthetic.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beave View Post
I am so glad that Coyotekiller is here to set me straight. I totally didn't realize the depth and magnitude of my stupidity until he so thankfully pointed it out. I will now bow to his uncanny intelligence and quietly slip away feeling so sorry to have wasted his and the forums time by posting such drivel.

Oh hell who am I kidding? I don't appreciate the snarky comments. I know where the transmission is. I was regurgitating what the service techs were spewing. No I didn't have to pay for anything it’s all under warranty. By the way in regards to the oh so many threads regarding this topic; do you have any idea how many total threads there are on this forum? I apologize for not finding the needle in the stack of needles.
As for the bold writing above, that's all that you appeared to know about your car from your above statements. If you took my tone to be that of a know it all, I'm sorry. Was trying to be helpful. But if you don't know how to use the search button I really can't help you out. If you don't like the fact that I pointed this out too you, man up and get over it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets annoyed by seeing the same thread topic repeated over and over again. And besides, the forum is here for information, if you dot search it you might as well just stop using it.
Coyotekiller is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,389
Huh how bout this! Lookie what using my search button brought up...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231793


Same problem you had and guess what? I was right. Thanks ahead of time.







Now that's a snarky tone. Next time search, then ask.
Coyotekiller is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
InfernoSS454
 
InfernoSS454's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: houston,texas
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
As for the bold writing above, that's all that you appeared to know about your car from your above statements. If you took my tone to be that of a know it all, I'm sorry. Was trying to be helpful. But if you don't know how to use the search button I really can't help you out. If you don't like the fact that I pointed this out too you, man up and get over it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets annoyed by seeing the same thread topic repeated over and over again. And besides, the forum is here for information, if you dot search it you might as well just stop using it.
Well did anyone park next to you today.
__________________
Texas speeds 1 7/8 longtube headers and full exhaust vararam air intake. Lethal racings night fury cam and yank 3400 stall. Dyno tuned by lethal racing 465 rwhp 434 rwtq.
InfernoSS454 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
mcbeth15
 
mcbeth15's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 RS 2LT IBM
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 672
Can't we all just get along?
mcbeth15 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
Huh how bout this! Lookie what using my search button brought up...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231793


Same problem you had and guess what? I was right. Thanks ahead of time.







Now that's a snarky tone. Next time search, then ask.
It's better for people to think you're a tool, than for you to open your mouth and confirm the fact.


Forums are used for information, I will give you that. But guess what? As was already stated, when you need a quick reply you start a new thread. Because finding information quickly is the whole reason most of us come here.

I have to say, this is one of the most unfriendly forums I've dealt with and I can see why long time members are bailing.

There are going to be a lot of threads on exhausts, intakes, etc. And many on problems that have been discussed before. Welcome to the world of automotive forums. So maybe if you're not here to help anyone and just want to be an annoying self-absorbed cynic, YOU should be the one to hit the bricks. I know I am on this forum all the time and I hadnt heard of this issue until this thread, and it seems the same can be said for others.

You can consider this a snarky comment if you want bc I really dont care.
ShowSStopper is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Beave
 
Beave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 20
Whew after an exahusting search I have found no old threads regarding the update I'm about to give. So let me take my skirt off and "man up". For everyone except Coyotekiller I have an update on the Differential issue. Please understand that I don't exclude Coyotekiller because of our previous tiff, I exclude him because in his infinite wisdom I'm sure he already knows this: GM has issued a NEW bulletin regarding this issue. Evidently secret sauce is not enough. Starting now any time this issue arises they will pull the rear axles replace the seals replace the differential clutches and then add secret sauce. The dealerships have not received the parts as of yet and just received the bulletin today. This is what I'm being told. It's a four hour fix once the get the parts
Beave is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beave View Post
Whew after an exahusting search I have found no old threads regarding the update I'm about to give. So let me take my skirt off and "man up". For everyone except Coyotekiller I have an update on the Differential issue. Please understand that I don't exclude Coyotekiller because of our previous tiff, I exclude him because in his infinite wisdom I'm sure he already knows this: GM has issued a NEW bulletin regarding this issue. Evidently secret sauce is not enough. Starting now any time this issue arises they will pull the rear axles replace the seals replace the differential clutches and then add secret sauce. The dealerships have not received the parts as of yet and just received the bulletin today. This is what I'm being told. It's a four hour fix once the get the parts
That sucks. I hope I can manage to avoid this fiasco myself.

Good luck and keep us posted!
ShowSStopper is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...
 
BowtieBelle's Avatar
 
Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14,102


OP, I've been on the forum for a year and seem to have missed the supposed "myriad" of posts regarding this issue, so thanks for bringing it up and good luck. Let us know if it happens again!
__________________
"Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff." -CamaroSpike

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post


OP, I've been on the forum for a year and seem to have missed the supposed "myriad" of posts regarding this issue, so thanks for bringing it up and good luck. Let us know if it happens again!
ShowSStopper is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 6 View Post
It's better for people to think you're a tool, than for you to open your mouth and confirm the fact.


Forums are used for information, I will give you that. But guess what? As was already stated, when you need a quick reply you start a new thread. Because finding information quickly is the whole reason most of us come here.

I have to say, this is one of the most unfriendly forums I've dealt with and I can see why long time members are bailing.

There are going to be a lot of threads on exhausts, intakes, etc. And many on problems that have been discussed before. Welcome to the world of automotive forums. So maybe if you're not here to help anyone and just want to be an annoying self-absorbed cynic, YOU should be the one to hit the bricks. I know I am on this forum all the time and I hadnt heard of this issue until this thread, and it seems the same can be said for others.

You can consider this a snarky comment if you want bc I really dont care.
So I'm an "annoying self-absorbed cynic" because I can use the search button? Please get over yourself, sir. The search button is a basic feature of this site and everyone should know how to use it. Is it fool-proof? No. But if the OP had bothered to search he wouldn't have needed to post and I wouldn't feel the need to answer.

I'm not sure how you say this is the worst forum you have ever been on, in my experience it's one of the best. If you prefer, I can reference you some other forums that seem packed with self-absorbed cynics, the s197 forum and LS1 tech being the most notable.
Coyotekiller is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
doubletap407
 
doubletap407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ls v6 blacked out
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Trinity , texas
Posts: 320
If you dont want to read dont click on it ! Its just that simple !
__________________
doubletap407 is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.