Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
CajunSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
#PI0137C ( Rear Axle Chatter)

Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns :

10-12 Camaros with Limited-Slip Differential (RPO G80)
Replace both rear axle shaft seals, drain/refill the differential with new fluid, GM P/N 88862624

Just had this service done to my SS, was told that the EPA back in 2008
band zinc from Synthetic oils, but now GM has the ok to add a limited-slip additive (friction modifier) to the differential fluid.

Obama and his environmental geeks
CajunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Beave

Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
You know I just went yeterday, and learned about this issue today. However I also was shown several pervious bulletins. Evidently last year they issued a bulletin stating that the 2011 and 2012 models with auto trans needed to have their differential fluid changed, however never did a recall. If people came in with the noise they just changed the fluid. Then earlier this year they sent out a second bulletin upgrading and changing the axle seals, the fluids and several key bolts. I was shown a bran new bulletin today saying that now they will be changing all of that plus opening up the differential and changing out clutch pieces. But still no recall. I am in waiting mode for the parts. GM faxed them the new bulletin because it was not in the system until and not expected there until July 1
Beave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Anubis

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black A6
Ugh...timing is everything...I just got my car out of the shop today after they completed the PI0137C bulletin (new type of differential fluid with additive already in it and the rear axle seals/axle nuts) and reprogramming the EBCM with an ABS update.

They didn't mention the new bulletin today, but they probably weren't looking for it either.

Time will tell if the groaning comes back or not. At least I know there is new bulletin out there.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
what does it sound like
Cyber Grey 2LT, RS. Car was bought this way: Painted Black 20" rims, Red Calipers, Flowmaster AxelBack Exhaust, everything DEBADGED! Bowties painted black bass speakers from Chrysler, Defenderworx Chrome Pistol Grip Shifter, underglow LED's installed not functional,Rally Stripes.
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
IOM Black Diamond
HT5 COTW 1/21/13

Drives: 2010 Camaro Inferno 2SS RS 6M
Thanks for the info
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Beave

Drives: 2014 RRM 2SS/RS LS3
It sounds like a rubbing noise. I was not sure where it was comming from at first and searched everthing. Thought maybe a tire, or a caliper. I also thought it was only in reverse with a turn like out of a parking spot, or driveway, but it turns out that if you drive slow figure eights you will here it also. The sound is basically coming from the diferential
Beave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
rlem00

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
sounds exactly like what they did to mine last year. Replaced the fluid and the internals of the rear diff. I've got over 10K miles since then and no problems. Good to hear they finally put somthing out to give the dealers guidence on a fix. I had 4 visits in a couple of months, holding their hand each time before they finally replaced everythign like I asked to happen the first time.
rlem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
EasyT442

Drives: 2012 45th ed SS/RS Camaro
I have the same problem with my 2012 SS, it started about 7K miles, now have 8.5K. I had an 86 Olds 442 with a Posi that did the same thing and found out about the additive to the rear end fluid. For the first few years of having to change the rear end fluid almost yearly and use the additive, I found that most new fluids you buy from your local parts stores have the additive already built in, saving $10-$20 bucks for a 4 oz bottle of additive.
I took my Camaro to the dealer and they did not seem familiar with the problem or the fix, so I need to take it back to them again and hopefully reference the TSB to get it fixed.
EasyT442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Tossuniam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 6.2 V8 2SS
Hi, everyone. I have exact the same problem!! I took the car to my dealer and they did not have any clue about what is going on. I live in Brazil and I think they are not familiar with some Camaro issues. Does anyone have the TSB so I can show it to them? Or If I give them only the reference they will be able to locate the TSB?
Tossuniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
SS2012

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossuniam View Post
Hi, everyone. I have exact the same problem!! I took the car to my dealer and they did not have any clue about what is going on. I live in Brazil and I think they are not familiar with some Camaro issues. Does anyone have the TSB so I can show it to them? Or If I give them only the reference they will be able to locate the TSB?
Same here 2012SS w/ 5200 miles on it. Rubbing sound at low speed left turns. Would also love to see the latest TSB posted here if anyone has it!!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Anubis

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black A6
My dealer located it with this service document number...PI0137C. It was the fourth revision to the service procedure. Never saw an actual TSB number for it. All was done under warranty. As stated above there might be a newer fifth revision, PI0137D.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSS View Post
Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns :

10-12 Camaros with Limited-Slip Differential (RPO G80)
Replace both rear axle shaft seals, drain/refill the differential with new fluid, GM P/N 88862624

Just had this service done to my SS, was told that the EPA back in 2008
band zinc from Synthetic oils, but now GM has the ok to add a limited-slip additive (friction modifier) to the differential fluid.

Obama and his environmental geeks
I had to add hypoid additive to the gear oil I put in the Chevy 12-bolt positraction rear made in 1969 that I installed into my '70 GS455 clone, in 1999

This was SOP since the cars were new. This new thing sucks and I hope I don;t have this problem myself, but I don't think you can blame the need for an additive to a posi rear-end gear oil on Barrack Obama. I don't like the guy at all, but he wasn't president in 1969
Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
SS2012

PI0137C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2012 View Post
Same here 2012SS w/ 5200 miles on it. Rubbing sound at low speed left turns. Would also love to see the latest TSB posted here if anyone has it!!
Anybody know anyone on the "inside" that can post this TSB for those of us trying to understanded the remedy/fix?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Have you been able to take it to the dealership for a proper diagnosis? Please let us know if you have any questions or comments. However, we do not have the ability to provide TSB information.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
SS2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Have you been able to take it to the dealership for a proper diagnosis? Please let us know if you have any questions or comments. However, we do not have the ability to provide TSB information.

Brandon
Brandon,

What I'm experiencing only presents itself when the car is cold and I pull out of my garage and make my first left or right turn. (likely because the rear diff. is not fully lubed yet) Comparing what I've read here to what I'm experiencing, I'm pretty sure the TSB is the fix. I've made an appointment w/my dealer and I'll be dropping it off the night before, so they can test it cold. I fear they won't be able to replicate the noise (being you only get one shot when it's cold) and I'm not sure if any harm will come if I just ignore it, nor do I know if I can expect it to get worse. And if they do replicate the condition, I don't know if they'll have the parts readily available.... I know these are all good questions for my dealer and I planned on calling them today but thanks for your continued attention. I'll post the results of my efforts as things progress.

/s/Bob
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Tossuniam

Quote:

Brandon
Hi Brandon,

I live in Brazil and Chevrolet Brazil does not know how to handle the problem nor the existence of a TSB for the subject. Do you think you can help me?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
SS2012

Quote:
Hi Brandon,

I live in Brazil and Chevrolet Brazil does not know how to handle the problem nor the existence of a TSB for the subject. Do you think you can help me?
Tossuniam, Hello.... has your problem been getting progressively worse? Do you hear it only when the rear end is cold? Let's Hope Brandon can help you!

/s/Bob
Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
Tossuniam

Quote:
Tossuniam, Hello.... has your problem been getting progressively worse? Do you hear it only when the rear end is cold? Let's Hope Brandon can help you!

/s/Bob
Yes, it is getting progressively worse and most of the times when it is cold.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
SS2012

Quote:
Yes, it is getting progressively worse and most of the times when it is cold.
Even here in the U.S. my dealer didn't ackonwledge the TSB until I presented the number to them.... They have so many brands and so many bulletins. Let's hope Brandon can lead you to the solution. Keep me posted and I'll do the same! Good luck!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Hi Brandon,

The best thing to do is to contact customer service in your home market. The phone number appears to be 55-11-42-34-7700. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me at your convenience.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
Quote:
Even here in the U.S. my dealer didn't ackonwledge the TSB until I presented the number to them.... They have so many brands and so many bulletins. Let's hope Brandon can lead you to the solution. Keep me posted and I'll do the same! Good luck!
YUP
my dealer doesn't do squat until I tell them I have a tsb number or pic if not they won't even try to match it up with known issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cyber Grey 2LT, RS. Car was bought this way: Painted Black 20" rims, Red Calipers, Flowmaster AxelBack Exhaust, everything DEBADGED! Bowties painted black bass speakers from Chrysler, Defenderworx Chrome Pistol Grip Shifter, underglow LED's installed not functional,Rally Stripes.
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
Cammie 2011

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2ss 1LE and 2013 1LE
I had this TSB service done today! Had to wait on the parts from being on back order. Drove it home 3 miles and haven't heard the noise return yet. Hope it's fixed. I have 3.500 miles on it.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #24
Tossuniam

Quote:
The best thing to do is to contact customer service in your home market. The phone number appears to be 55-11-42-34-7700. If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me at your convenience.

Brandon
Thanks, Brandon
Old 07-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #25
patrick27md

Drives: 2012 2LS V6 Camaro
Mine does it only sometimes. A weird noise from the rear end when turning a low speeds.
patrick27md is offline   Reply With Quote