Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #205
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
New wheels i do not like but i do like the mirror and The mylink, Not having a cd/dvd isnt a hinderance to me i use my ipod 99% of the time. There was a 13 2SS/Rs at the dealer near me i took a couple pics
Attached Images

Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #206
GearheadSS
Member #63

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Ok I was just wondering, but it sounds like a good way of getting free map updates.

I was noticing this morning on my way to the hospital how much the new Camaro mirror looks like the one in my 2001 Tracker minus the OnStar buttons. So I guess it is "Retro".
Well keep in mind that the MyLink in the Sonic and Spark will not offer on board navigation that's built into the unit. There will be an app available for MyLink that will provide nav but it will have to be routed through your smartphone. That means it will use your smartphone's data plan.

It's the same as Pandora. You can access it through MyLink but your smartphone is the data conduit for the app.

It's great if you have unlimited data but it can be a pain if you're in an area where you can't get phone recepetion.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #207
swagled

Drives: Y2000 Olds Intrigue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I don't think MyLink includes a CD. It isn't mentioned in any descriptions that I have seen. I think I saw a post in the forum a while back that there wasn't room for it with the new touch screen and electronics.
The trend began a year or two ago to "not bother" including a CD player in automobiles. CDs are 30 year old technology and becoming seen as stodgy to USB-era shoppers.
swagled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #208
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Wheels -
MyLink -
Shifter -
Mirror -
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #209
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
it will have to be routed through your smartphone. That means it will use your smartphone's data plan.
Which is very similar to Ford's Sync. I personally do not want to pay $20 a month to OnStar when I already have unlimited data on my phone.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #210
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Wonder when the dashboard leather on the '13's will start to bubble??
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #211
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
Smart to kill the CD/DVDs. I use my iPhone to stream radio and play files 90% of the time. Rarely use the free Sirius/XM, because the compression makes it sound like ass.

Envy the mirror.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #212
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
I'll reserve judgement on the wheels until I see them in person. Mylink seems more of a distraction to me than anything. I know there is a *Do not operate certain features while vehicle is moving* clause, but that's like telling a pubescent boy not to play with his willy. I don't understand how this is anymore dangerous than a cell phone on speaker in the cup holder. A shame they did away with the CD player, but it's totally understandable. I don't wear skinny jeans, so I rather enjoy popping in my worn copies of Fush Yu Mang and Blue Skies and Broken Hearts.

Last edited by Atlas; 06-30-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Detective Dollypoposkallius
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #213
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
the wheels look cheap and the mirror does too. like someone said, fingerprint galore. can do without the my link and the shifter is ok. just glad they are making the "2010 model more distinguished.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #214
CookieCk

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Personally, I'm glad I got a 2012, don't like that mylink at all.
CookieCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #215
t!mbo

Drives: 45th 2SS M6
I really think the Mylink stands too far out from the dash. I don't like that...
Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #216
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Anyone know if the Nav unit is functional while the car is moving? I'm suspecting not, as my sister-in-law just purchased a new GMC SUV with Nav. And while the truck is moving, you cannot search or use the NAV.

I can see the reason (ie: to keep the driver from using it), but it's a major PIA, and you should be able to bypass the limitation if someone is in the passenger seat. With the Garmin, my wife can easily pull it off the mount and search for whatever we are wanting to do. I don't want to spend the extra money on a built in unit with such operation. It will just annoy me, and piss me off.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #217
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Anyone know if the Nav unit is functional while the car is moving? I'm suspecting not, as my sister-in-law just purchased a new GMC SUV with Nav. And while the truck is moving, you cannot search or use the NAV.

I can see the reason (ie: to keep the driver from using it), but it's a major PIA, and you should be able to bypass the limitation if someone is in the passenger seat. With the Garmin, my wife can easily pull it off the mount and search for whatever we are wanting to do. I don't want to spend the extra money on a built in unit with such operation. It will just annoy me, and piss me off.
Im pretty sure that lockout will get hacked.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #218
bandit38

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS - 1977 Trans Am S.E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post

I had no idea they did this....the only Nav I've ever had is a Pioneer unit in my truck....You mean you can't scroll (zoom in or out) or anything while in motion with the map ?

What a pain that would be...

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of Navigation if you can't use it while your trying to figure out where to go....lol.

I knew you couldn't watch a movie or anything like that...but didn't know this.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #219
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit38 View Post
I had no idea they did this....the only Nav I've ever had is a Pioneer unit in my truck....You mean you can't scroll (zoom in or out) or anything while in motion with the map ?

What a pain that would be...

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of Navigation if you can't use it while your trying to figure out where to go....lol.

I knew you couldn't watch a movie or anything like that...but didn't know this.
Safety issue, like trying to read a roadmap while driving. you should pull over to look over the map.

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #220
colin911

Drives: 1985 Camaro Z28
Wow, those wheels really suck!
colin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #221
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
That display looks better than I had imagined it, but still looks like it was fitted there but doesn't fit too well with the design, I'm happy with the '10 and really don't need more distractions. Unless its for the backup camera I wouldn't get that option (if it is one, I'd rather take the classic sleek but functional design)

Tags
becky, beckyd, beckyd@rodgerschevrolet, camaro, rodgers