Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
Lightbulb New System

Ok, so maybe not a complete system but this will be the first time I have installed my own stuff.

What I have so far.

JL Audio 900/5
JL Audio Stealthbox with the 12w6 sub.
Quite a bit of Dynamat for the rumble
Subthump FARK here in a few days or when they arrive. I will do the complete amp replacement.

Could someone give me a hand on what else I need. I'm thinking a capacitor and looked at the Phoenix Gold one but not sure if I need a specific type or even really need one at 900 watts. This amp is a monster though.

For now I'm going to see what it sounds like with the BA speakers minus the stupid center speaker. Looking to get some Hybrid Audio's from Steve or the Focal K2 powers if I don't like the factory stuff.

I guess I could use some help from someone(s) who used Steve's FARK and did their own thing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Storm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
You wont need a cap for 900 watts. Your gonna need 4 guage power, ground, atleast and 80 amp fuse, and holder, RCA's
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Storm T
Can't slow down

I didn't think I would. Good, every bit saved is a win. lol

Holder being an amp rack? I should get the RCA'd with the FARK kit right?

Thanks Kevin!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Fuse holder, you will need rca's to go from the fark harness to your amp.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Storm T
Can't slow down

Oh, ok. I will probably just get a kit for amp installation then. Thanks so much!

I hope I can mount that amp where the factory one is but I think it's bigger. We'll see.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Although that amp is a bit bigger than the stock amp, I'm pretty sure I saw a picture from someone on here that got it back in the stock location. I'll let you know if I come accross it. Great amp and sub btw!
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchfieldBrooke View Post
Although that amp is a bit bigger than the stock amp, I'm pretty sure I saw a picture from someone on here that got it back in the stock location. I'll let you know if I come accross it. Great amp and sub btw!
Not saying it will or won't fit, but here are the specs:

The HD900/5 is .24"x.54" too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subthump.com
2010 & Up Camaro Factory Fit Amp Mount
Effective mounting area: 7.75" x 10.5"
Amps larger than this will not fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAudio.com
HD900/5: 5 Ch. Class D System Amplifier, 900 W
Height (H) 1.93 in / 49 mm
Width (W) 10.74 in / 273 mm
Depth (D) 8.29 in / 211 mm
Net Weight 6.85 lb / 3.11 kg
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post

Ahhh, yours is the picture I remember seeing.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Storm T
Can't slow down

New install

Thanks Brooke! Yeah, I think I'll like that combo. I'm not opposed to getting a rack either because I think I'm going to add a processor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchfieldBrooke View Post
Thanks alot Jeep! Man that's close.

Quote:

Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
JL Audio was always my favorite audio brand. Good choice.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
Storm T
Can't slow down

Mine too. It's what I had in my last car although this one will be even nicer. My car is the same color as yours. Plain blue. I do like those stripes. Nice looking!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm T View Post
Mine too. It's what I had in my last car although this one will be even nicer. My car is the same color as yours. Plain blue. I do like those stripes. Nice looking!
Mine is plain IBM too. The stripes are photoshopped. I will be getting them painted on like this after I get a couple of other things out of the way.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
Storm T
Can't slow down

Ohhhhh! lol Yep, cosmetics is my last choice. Sound first, then exhaust. Wait, that's sound too.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Storm T
Can't slow down

So, I got a hell of a deal on a pair of JLAudio Evolution ZR 650's So, today the whole thing is being professionally installed. I decided I just didn't want to wait any longer and they made me a good deal on installation and they're doing the sound deadening. I opted out of the rear deck speakers. With what I have I don't think I'll need them. I figure it's going to be 6 hours or so on the install. They say they can get the amp in the factory position so I said go for it. Just make sure and have it all tuned and sounding good. I'm getting kind of giddy. lol
Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
The suspense is killing me! I hope (and know) that all will turn out well with your install!

for pics and review
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
Storm T
Can't slow down

Well..........

I wish I could report pleasant results. My front speakers sound great! But...... First I get back to the shop and they couldn't even figure out how to mount the sub???? I had to tell them. They almost drilled a hole in a non-ported box. Anyway, the mgr. says it sounds amazing and he's getting ready to pull my car around. Then he comes back and says the sub is cutting out. Oh, I forgot to say that they told me their was no sound coming from it when they first wired it up then they found the connections not connected inside the box.

Does anyone know if JLAudio stealbox ships that way? Anyway, they unmounted it again and hooked it up. So, he's going to pull the car around and it's cutting out again. They supposedly fix it and pull around. I get in and turn it on. It sounded like shit! They didn't even wire my rear deck speakers to the amp?????? They are running through the factory radio power? WTH? The sub sounded, I dunno..... Not right. I turned it way down through the radio. He didn't even put in the level control I asked for. Trying to figure out a way to describe the sound of the sub. Almost a blown sound, no deep bass that thing should be putting out. We're talking W6 here. Well, they were closed and had my car all day so I left. I got about half a mile down the road and no more sub. The system still sounds better than it did with only the front speakers.

I guess I'll be going back in the morning.

Any experts around? Everything is brand new.

JLAudio HD 900/5
JLAudio Stealthbox with a 12W6
JLAudio Components up front. Very nice ones.

Do they have settings wrong on the amp? Or did they wire things wrong? They had it from 9am to 6pm.

Should I take it elsewhere and have someone look at it or head back there first?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
flyer08

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Your using stock had unit right? Is the amp herring enough power/signal? I had to add lc2i to get full power of my 900/5
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Well..........

I wish I could report pleasant results. My front speakers sound great! But...... First I get back to the shop and they couldn't even figure out how to mount the sub???? I had to tell them. They almost drilled a hole in a non-ported box. Anyway, the mgr. says it sounds amazing and he's getting ready to pull my car around. Then he comes back and says the sub is cutting out. Oh, I forgot to say that they told me their was no sound coming from it when they first wired it up then they found the connections not connected inside the box.

Does anyone know if JLAudio stealbox ships that way? Anyway, they unmounted it again and hooked it up. So, he's going to pull the car around and it's cutting out again. They supposedly fix it and pull around. I get in and turn it on. It sounded like shit! They didn't even wire my rear deck speakers to the amp?????? They are running through the factory radio power? WTH? The sub sounded, I dunno..... Not right. I turned it way down through the radio. He didn't even put in the level control I asked for. Trying to figure out a way to describe the sound of the sub. Almost a blown sound, no deep bass that thing should be putting out. We're talking W6 here. Well, they were closed and had my car all day so I left. I got about half a mile down the road and no more sub. The system still sounds better than it did with only the front speakers.

JLAudio HD 900/5

Do they have settings wrong on the amp? Or did they wire things wrong? They had it from 9am to 6pm.

Should I take it elsewhere and have someone look at it or head back there first?
I have a very similar set up to you. 900/5, w6, components up front. It sounds pretty good. The 900/5 encourages you not to use an LOC, which they probably did, because it's a lot easier to wire. Check my thread, and you will see how I wired it, and how I convinced others that speaker level inputs directly to the amp are the way to go.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...1&postcount=16
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Quote:
Well..........

JLAudio HD 900/5

The Box comes with the sub already wired, Make sure they didnt switch out your sub with a damaged one.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
Storm T
Can't slow down

New Install

Here is the latest. I went back out to the car about 30 minutes after my first post. The sub was mysteriously working again. I played with the settings. Got it sounding pretty damn good actually. But I can't separate the bass between the sub and the fronts. I could put more bass to the front and what an incredible sound those speakers have.

Anyway, I drove around about 2 hours or so and the sub kept on working. I was bragging about it to my girlfriend and she's on the phone saying OMG it's so clear I can understand everything. Anyway, 5 minutes later mr. sub stopped again. I thought hmmm.... I pulled over into a station and turned the car off, opened the door to kill power to everything. I waiting about 5 minutes, start the car and Mr. Sub is back again????? It made it all the way home, about another 45 minutes. It sounds more like crappy wiring to me or some simple setting on the amp. I've had lots of stereo equipment in my time and I do know you can get something bad but I have never had it happen so I doubt that's the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
Your using stock had unit right? Is the amp herring enough power/signal? I had to add lc2i to get full power of my 900/5
Yep, stock head unit. What is lc2i? It seems to be getting plenty power when it's working.

Quote:
I have a very similar set up to you. 900/5, w6, components up front. It sounds pretty good. The 900/5 encourages you not to use an LOC, which they probably did, because it's a lot easier to wire. Check my thread, and you will see how I wired it, and how I convinced others that speaker level inputs directly to the amp are the way to go.

I don't think they used a LOC because of the way he talked about wiring everything and how long it took but I will have to ask them to make sure. I will check out your thread for sure. Actually I think I might have before.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...1&postcount=16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
The Box comes with the sub already wired, Make sure they didnt switch out your sub with a damaged one.
I knew that sounded crazy when he told me that. Why would they not have it wired? I wonder how I'd be able to tell? I'm going to go by the place I bought the components from and see if they'll have a listen to see if they can hear anything. I sure like to think they wouldn't do that but you never know these days. They have been around 20 years same location.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Like I said, I guess first thing tomorrow I'm going to the other place to see if they see anything. I'm also going to call JLAudio and see what they say about them telling me the sub wasn't wired.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Sounds like they got something wrong with the wiring. It should be quite simple. hook up the FARK harness, run RCA from there to amp, hook speakers to amp, and power/ground to amp. Properly set gains on amp and enjoy. Good luck. Hope the other dealer finds something simple and fixes it.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
Storm T
Can't slow down

Thanks. Only problem with that is I got tired of waiting for a FARK so I thought I'd just have it professionally done. I just went out again and drove for about 3-4 miles and it was sounding good but didn't have it cranked up really loud or anything. All of a sudden, nothing but the stupid front center channel speaker. I checked the amp for lights but it was dark, I dunno. The amp felt really hot. Fuse maybe? I dunno.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
Steve@Subthump

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Thanks. Only problem with that is I got tired of waiting for a FARK so I thought I'd just have it professionally done. I just went out again and drove for about 3-4 miles and it was sounding good but didn't have it cranked up really loud or anything. All of a sudden, nothing but the stupid front center channel speaker. I checked the amp for lights but it was dark, I dunno. The amp felt really hot. Fuse maybe? I dunno.
You should have waited just a bit longer on the fark. I will have them up for sale early next week. Problem is I bet your wiring is all hacked up. I would hate to see what it looks like now
Steve@Subthump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Storm T:

I'm really sorry to read that the install didn't go as planned. If I were you, I'd go back to the shop and give them one last time to make it right. If they don't, get your money back and go somewhere else. Unfortunately, if they messed up the wiring real bad, I doubt the FARK will help out now.

:(
Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
Storm T
Can't slow down

I know Steve. Nothing against you in the slightest. I just had everything and was dying for good tunes. lol They actually threw my factory speakers away too??????? They couldn't find them so he gave me a brand new pair of factory speakers. They do work for the dealers. Anyway, I might have a good ending. I went back this morning and was not happy. The guy told me it might be a bad amp. I knew it wasn't. They took the car back and found the ground was not secure. It's worked since then but we'll see if it lasts. I made them re-wire it so the rear deck speakers are working.

The sound is really incredible now. That sub is a monster but the components keep up. I turned the sub off and put full bass to the front and wow! If anyone was thinking about getting a pair of ZR's you will not be disappointed other than the price. lol