Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Spoiler bolt fail

So here's the story:

Popped the trunk this morning and heard a loud snap/rattle sound. Thought to myself,WTF?

Lowered the trunk and yep, something is rolling around in the decklid. I'm assuming its a bolt for the spoiler.

Any suggestions on getting it out? Anybody else have this issue?
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 6 View Post
So here's the story:

Popped the trunk this morning and heard a loud snap/rattle sound. Thought to myself,WTF?

Lowered the trunk and yep, something is rolling around in the decklid. I'm assuming its a bolt for the spoiler.

Any suggestions on getting it out? Anybody else have this issue?
The decklid I think is just lined with carpet that pops out, so if its stuck in there, shouldnt be too hard to get it out
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
I dropped a nut in mine when wrapping my spoiler in Carbon fiber.. havent took the time to pull it out..
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
TheBooks

Drives: 2010 CGM RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
The decklid I think is just lined with carpet that pops out, so if its stuck in there, shouldnt be too hard to get it out
Nope, the top of the trunk is only a skin, there is a whole shell. There is about a 1-2 gap between the top and bottom of the trunk. If you take off the carpet and remove the black rubber circles (6, one for each bolt) you will see what I'm talking about. It fell down their and will be near impossible to get out without taking the trunk off.

Take it to the dealer, they have a special tool for getting it out. I think there was a TSB on it awhile ago.
TheBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Jet Mazinger

Drives: Camaro
I had to do this about a year ago. One of the nuts used to hold down the spoiler came loose. To get it out, remove the decklid liner (the carpet looking thing) by removing the plastic latch cover and the several plastic push-in fasteners. Using a magnetic pickup tool, go into one of the large openings on the underside of the decklid and start fishing for it. It's better to have a flexible magnetic pickup tool, but a regular telescoping one works too ... you just need to bend it a little. I also applied a little masking tape to the head of the magnetic tool to avoid scratches as I fished around. Hope this helps!
Jet Mazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
well once you get it out......do yourself a favor and buy a small tube of BLUE 242 loctite, take the nuts off one at a time and reintall them with the Loctite. THATS what the TSB mentioned as well. In the begining (2010 models) there were LOTS of people that had the spoiler nuts comming lose.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Thanks for all the replies!

I will take a better look at it after work. Might be a dealer trip if I have to remove the whole thing. Hopefully I can fish it out myself. And thanks for the locktite tip.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
I had the same issue I was able to draw out the nut with a strong magnet.