Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Cold Air Inductions CAI install w/pics

Ok here are the parts before install...things of beauty, really.


Pic of engine bay minus intake cover showing stock system:



Hoses off, air box to come off. The hoses come right off, the airbox...not so much. The
instructions say to disconnect the negative battery cable. Where the **** is that and why? I
skipped that step. Dont know what they are talking about.


The airbox has a nipple on the bottom, and 2 nuts with 2 sided grommets/washers holding it in on the tops. None of them want to come loose, especially the grommets/washers. You gotta wiggle and yank them pretty good to get them out. Use moderate force. Here is a pic of the bottom nipple that goes thru the body, pull straight up to remove.


Everything out now:



New CAI box in. Wriggle it to make it settle in BELOW the level of the engine bay perimeter, it fits perfect once in:



Air tube and hoses now in:



Final install pic:


The installation instructions do not show an '12 install. It appears to be a '10-11 SS? My MAF sensor wire did not have enough wire to go under the tube. It fit perfect though on top. Make sure the small arrow on the MAF points TOWARDS the engine...its directional as stated in other threads. The cover needs to fit under the lip of the engine bay perimeter to look and fit correctly. I needed to reseat the airbox frame slightly to make this happen. The good thing is once its in correctly, everything fits perfect. If it doesnt, you don't have it aligned properly. The elbow on the vent line comes off and CAI provides a short straight piece for reconnecting it. 30-45 minutes TOPS for install. Very easy.

So....the drive. DEFINITELY more snap on throttle and power on the top end. Nice growl while first getting on the gas, then mellow, then above 4k you can really hear the intake honk. More top end for sure, seat of the pants about 10+ HP. 4k-6500 the car is sounding good. Fit is excellent, so is appearance. Very happy.

Last edited by Henry G.; 06-29-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,308
Nice write up.

__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Thanks! Let us know when you stock the Rx catch can, its my next mod.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Thanks! Let us know when you stock the Rx catch can, its my next mod.
It should be "live" on the website any day now but they are ready to go when you are.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Ok here are the parts before install...things of beauty, really.


Pic of engine bay minus intake cover showing stock system:



Hoses off, air box to come off. The hoses come right off, the airbox...not so much. The
instructions say to disconnect the negative battery cable. Where the **** is that and why? I
skipped that step. Dont know what they are talking about.


The airbox has a nipple on the bottom, and 2 nuts with 2 sided grommets/washers holding it in on the tops. None of them want to come loose, especially the grommets/washers. You gotta wiggle and yank them pretty good to get them out. Use moderate force. Here is a pic of the bottom nipple that goes thru the body, pull straight up to remove.


Everything out now:



New CAI box in. Wriggle it to make it settle in BELOW the level of the engine bay perimeter, it fits perfect once in:



Air tube and hoses now in:



Final install pic:


The installation instructions do not show an '12 install. It appears to be a '10-11 SS? My MAF sensor wire did not have enough wire to go under the tube. It fit perfect though on top. Make sure the small arrow on the MAF points TOWARDS the engine...its directional as stated in other threads. The cover needs to fit under the lip of the engine bay perimeter to look and fit correctly. I needed to reseat the airbox frame slightly to make this happen. The good thing is once its in correctly, everything fits perfect. If it doesnt, you don't have it aligned properly. The elbow on the vent line comes off and CAI provides a short straight piece for reconnecting it. 30-45 minutes TOPS for install. Very easy.

So....the drive. DEFINITELY more snap on throttle and power on the top end. Nice growl while first getting on the gas, then mellow, then above 4k you can really hear the intake honk. More top end for sure, seat of the pants about 10+ HP. 4k-6500 the car is sounding good. Fit is excellent, so is appearance. Very happy.
THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING COLD AIR INDUCTIONS INC.! I am so glad to hear how happy you are with the product, great write up too!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Thanks I will be glad to "test" any of your new products
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Thanks I will be glad to "test" any of your new products
Get in line buddy!! Glad you are happy and appreciate you choosing CAI Inc.!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,733
Send a message via MSN to redleader
So the whole remove the Battery negative connection thing...

If Yes, where? and what will it trip off?

If No, I'll be alot happier.
__________________
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
So the whole remove the Battery negative connection thing...

If Yes, where? and what will it trip off?

If No, I'll be alot happier.
Like Henry, I skipped that step. There is no negative connection under the hood, that I could find. The instructions (to include photos) were NOT of a 2012 V6 LFX. That's my only complaint - CAI, Inc. needs to update their 2012+ installation directions.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,733
Send a message via MSN to redleader
Thanks PalmerGA.

I'm in the UK so don't want to ruin my Camaro 2010 V6 with some electrical trip-out !

If there's a bright center to the Camaro5 universe, I'm in the region that's farthest from a good Dealer.

Last edited by redleader; 07-13-2012 at 05:36 PM.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Like Henry, I skipped that step. There is no negative connection under the hood, that I could find. The instructions (to include photos) were NOT of a 2012 V6 LFX. That's my only complaint - CAI, Inc. needs to update their 2012+ installation directions.
Please correct me if I am wrong as I am not the person who designs or installs these, but to my knowledge the ONLY difference in terms of installation is the shape of the MAF sensor and housing. I know in terms of the CAI itself that is positively the only difference, so I would assume that would fo for installing it as well. Like I said, if there is a specific difference that you are referring to that should be shown in the 2012 instructions please let me know so it can be addressed. Thanks!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Thanks PalmerGA.

I'm in the UK so don't want to ruin my Camaro 2010 V6 with some electrical trip-out !

If there's a bright center to the Camaro5 universe, I'm in the region that it's farthest from a good Dealer.
Then take our advice and required installation step and disconnect the battery. That eliminates any risk, which is why we list it in the instructions. You would hate to mess something up just to save an extra 15 minutes or so. Let us know if you have any questions about installing it, but the instructions should guide you pretty well! Thanks!!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,733
Send a message via MSN to redleader
Hi Bill, so I should disconnect the Neagtive Terminal from the Battery in the boot (trunk) of my Camaro5 V6 2010?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
Grey Ghost

 
Grey Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nokomis, FL
Posts: 1,305
Great write up!
__________________
2013 Hot Wheels 2SS
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Hi Bill, so I should disconnect the Neagtive Terminal from the Battery in the boot (trunk) of my Camaro5 V6 2010?
I did on my '10 but some say it's not needed, to each their own
__________________
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
To Bill @CAI: I never found a negative battery cable or any battery cable that has anything bearing on the intake install. The directions say to remove the cable period, with no pic or reference to why and how. Also the pic(s) in the installation instructions do not match the LFX at all. These updates to the instructions (which are admittedly simple) would help. Or you can just print out my thread and shove a copy into every box you have my permission!
Thanks for a great product.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
redleader
redleader
 
redleader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,733
Send a message via MSN to redleader
In the Boot (Trunk).
Remove the spare wheel ... there's the battery .. go for it ! :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
ActNup NY

 
ActNup NY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 2,182
Excellent write up man. ! Love the pics as well.
__________________
I'M SO FAR AHEAD OF MY TIME, I'M ABOUT TO PASS YOU TWICE..
ActNup NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Magilla gorilla

 
Magilla gorilla's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Edition 2LT RS,2005 Tahoe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Henderson Nevada
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING COLD AIR INDUCTIONS INC.! I am so glad to hear how happy you are with the product, great write up too!

You should have put your oil capback on to prevent any debris getting in. JMO.
Magilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla gorilla View Post
You should have put your oil capback on to prevent any debris getting in. JMO.
At first I was thinking, of course I put it back on. Then I realized, you meant during the install...yes I guess. But there are no parts really to drop down there I can think of..but still not a bad idea.
Thanks for the props everyone. BTW I still have NO IDEA why you would want to disconnect the battery. If ANYONE can think of a VALID idea why pls let us know. This has nothing to do with the battery, DC system, etc. And before anyone tries some bullshit know I run the electric grid for a living and know more about electricity than 98% of the population.

Last edited by Henry G.; 07-16-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
Magilla gorilla

 
Magilla gorilla's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Edition 2LT RS,2005 Tahoe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Henderson Nevada
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
At first I was thinking, of course I put it back on. Then I realized, you meant during the install...yes I guess. But there are no parts really to drop down there I can think of..but still not a bad idea.
Thanks for the props everyone. BTW I still have NO IDEA why you would want to disconnect the battery. If ANYONE can think of a VALID idea why pls let us know. This has nothing to do with the battery, DC system, etc. And before you try and bullshit know I run the electric grid for a living and know more about electricity than 98% of the population.
Just being safe on the oil cap, never know when something can happen. Whenever I take the engine cover off to do anything I put the cap back just to be safe.
Magilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla gorilla View Post
Just being safe on the oil cap, never know when something can happen. Whenever I take the engine cover off to do anything I put the cap back just to be safe.
Always a good idea - just to be safe.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #23
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong as I am not the person who designs or installs these, but to my knowledge the ONLY difference in terms of installation is the shape of the MAF sensor and housing. I know in terms of the CAI itself that is positively the only difference, so I would assume that would fo for installing it as well. Like I said, if there is a specific difference that you are referring to that should be shown in the 2012 instructions please let me know so it can be addressed. Thanks!
I think there are more differences than that, Bill. Don't get me wrong, the instructions were adequate to assist in the installation, but I would think CAI would want quality instructions to go with their quality product.

A couple of comments regarding the instructions:

1. General - I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the pictures in the guide titled "2012 Camaro 3.6L V6 (501-1036-12, 501-1036-12B)", are of an LFX engine.


2. Step 6 - Using terms like "wire loom" can be disconcerting for some of us DIYers who are capable of following instructions but aren't experienced car mechanics. And I don't see a wire loom (if I knew what one looks like) in Figure 8.


3. Step 6 - last sentence states "Reconnect MAF sensor (as shown in figure 13)". Figure 13 does not show the MAF sensor - Figure 12 does.

I was a technical illustrator for the US Marine Corps for 12 years and can confirm that when it comes to technical installation/repair manuals... a picture is worth a thousand words and need to be correct.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #24
Henry G.
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal Mtns
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
II was a technical illustrator for the US Marine Corps for 12 years and can confirm that when it comes to technical installation/repair manuals... a picture is worth a thousand words and need to be correct.
Yep. I dont even need instructions for most stuff, all I need are good pics or diagrams. That being said, sometimes poorly translated chinese instructions for some stuff makes for good laughs.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Hi Bill, so I should disconnect the Neagtive Terminal from the Battery in the boot (trunk) of my Camaro5 V6 2010?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
To Bill @CAI: I never found a negative battery cable or any battery cable that has anything bearing on the intake install. The directions say to remove the cable period, with no pic or reference to why and how. Also the pic(s) in the installation instructions do not match the LFX at all. These updates to the instructions (which are admittedly simple) would help. Or you can just print out my thread and shove a copy into every box you have my permission!
Thanks for a great product.
For the battery cable, yes you would disconnect the negative from the battery terminal, the main reason for this is safety for the installer and car. We'll take a look at the instructions, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I think there are more differences than that, Bill. Don't get me wrong, the instructions were adequate to assist in the installation, but I would think CAI would want quality instructions to go with their quality product.

A couple of comments regarding the instructions:

1. General - I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the pictures in the guide titled "2012 Camaro 3.6L V6 (501-1036-12, 501-1036-12B)", are of an LFX engine.


2. Step 6 - Using terms like "wire loom" can be disconcerting for some of us DIYers who are capable of following instructions but aren't experienced car mechanics. And I don't see a wire loom (if I knew what one looks like) in Figure 8.


3. Step 6 - last sentence states "Reconnect MAF sensor (as shown in figure 13)". Figure 13 does not show the MAF sensor - Figure 12 does.

I was a technical illustrator for the US Marine Corps for 12 years and can confirm that when it comes to technical installation/repair manuals... a picture is worth a thousand words and need to be correct.
Thanks for the comments, I will bring them to the powers that be and see about making some improvements! Thanks!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.