Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Metra Dash Kit Questions

I am considering a Metra dash kit, but have a few reservations. I intend to retain factory chimes and turn signal noise, from the speakers, and will not accept a solution that does not allow this.

In reading the Metra install manual, it appears that it uses an LOC of sorts to mix the factory chimes. Can anyone confirm this? I would much prefer to go directly from my HU to an amp without feeding through any low quality electronics that will only serve to degrade the signal.

I presume the factory tones (i.e. chimes, turn signal, and even OnStar) are at pre-amp levels before they make it to the factory HU. Is there any way to combine pre-amp signals cleanly?
Attached Images

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Jeepguy, I retained the factory amp and center speaker for chimes and onstar (if you want it.) My aftermarket amp is connected directly to the head unit. I wanted to make it easy to go back to stock and also did not want my pre-amp signal going through the cheap Metra electronics.

You could also keep the factory rears or any other oem speaker combination for chimes. Whatever floats your boat.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
Jeepguy, I retained the factory amp and center speaker for chimes and onstar (if you want it.) My aftermarket amp is connected directly to the head unit. I wanted to make it easy to go back to stock and also did not want my pre-amp signal going through the cheap Metra electronics.

You could also keep the factory rears or any other oem speaker combination for chimes. Whatever floats your boat.
Unfortunately, my car did not come with the VA system and I do not have a center speaker. My car doesn't even have an opening for a center speaker.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I had a Meta Kit put in by a "professional" shop and it took four return trips to even get it working properly. They never got the back-up sensor sounds to work right and claim the unit doesn't support it. Now when I put it in reverse the warning indicators don't activate too well and the sound it incredibly weak. Anyone have this issue or was the shop is used, which I will never use again, just incompetent?
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote