Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
SemyDaCop
LocoBee in da RGV

Drives: Custom Rally Yellow 1LT
battery dead, lights flicker, amp hot

I bought and installed a kicker amp and now the lights on my car flicker and the battery dies. The amp gets hot really quick. I have not even turned the gain up. Anyone have any answers that could be causing the problem. My thought is that the amp is defective. There is possibly a short internally.
The 12+ is connected directly to battery with fuse, the remote is hooked up to my 12volt inside the console and the ground is connected to the rear metal frame where the rear speakers are at. The amp is a kicker 300.2 amp and my speakers are two 8ohm 300 watt kicker 12" speakers. They are bridged.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I hope you have a fuse or circuit breaker hooked up to your amp.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
yzark99

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
I suspect a defective amp. How much did you buy it for?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
300W shouldn't be doing that. Also, if you grounded to your rear deck, you may have a bad ground. Why didn't you just ground to the battery?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
SemyDaCop
LocoBee in da RGV

The wire that came with kit was short. Sothat was my option at the time. Yes I always put a fuse even put one on the remote side too. I paid 139.99 +tax and shipping for the amp and 90 bucks for the speakers. really dont think it's the ground.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
SemyDaCop
LocoBee in da RGV

Bump .....
Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
What are your speaker impedances? What is your amp rated at? How do you have them bridged? How many voice coils are on each speaker? Do you have pictures of your wiring?
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
yzark99

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
Your ground location is fine. I went over my whole trunk with a circuit tester, and the protruding studs on the rear deck had some of the best connections to the negative battery terminal. I used one of them to ground my amp.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Is it grounding out, Why did you put a fuse in the remote wire?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
SemyDaCop
LocoBee in da RGV

i ALWAYS PUT FUSES ON EVERYTHING THAT HAS POWER.....ITS A 15 AMP FUSE SO ITS NOT THE PROBLEM...
Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
SemyDaCop
LocoBee in da RGV

OK...FOR ALLTHOSE THAT SAID IT WAS MY GROUND....WELL YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!! WHEN I INITIALLY STARTED THE INSTALLATION I WOULD ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY...BOTH POS AND NEG. SO WHEN I CPMPLETED THE INSTALL I HOOKDED UP ALL MY POWER AND TURNED THAT BAD BABY ON.....BUT GUESS WHAT...I OVERLOOKED THE NEGATIVE WIRE ON THE BATTERY. THAT IS WHAT HAS BEEN CAUSING ALL MY PROBLEMS. (I THINK) SO FAR SO GOOD. I WILL KNOW BY THE MORNING IF IT WAS THAT. I AM HOPING THAT IS ALL IT WAS. THANKS FOR YOUR GUYS HELP.

THE WAY I FOUND OUT WAS I WENT TO AUTOZONE TO BUY A OPTIMA BATTERY THINKING THAT IT WAS THE BATTERY. SO THE LADY THERE AT AUTOZONE SAID LET ME CHECK YOUR BATTERY FIRST. SHE THEN POINTED OUT TO ME THAT THE BATTERY WAS NOT CONNECTED PROPERLY...DUH ME:bangdesk:
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Yep

I think we've all done something like this at one time or another. Leaving one thing undone and can't figure out why it don't work. Kinda like trying to find a wrench you know you just used and look everywhere only to find it in your pocket, or worse, in your hand.

Glad to hear it's OK. Ain't stereo upgrading fun though, Expecially when you can get the gratification of doing the work yourself with ultimately good results.