Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #26
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Yeahh......might see Big Foot too.
Speedsters car might run 7s.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #27
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I am looking into the same in the future. I personally am going the SC route because I already have headers. I would say either go with the whipple (my choice) or magnacharger.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #28
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Speedsters car might run 7s.

Yep...but it might run 12s too....just at 175mph. The car hasn't been down the track once yet....so it's still a giant mystery and this stuff isn't as easy as it looks.

Besides...he doesn't count...his car is more like a rocket than a car.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #29
PQ

Quote:
Yep...but it might run 12s too....just at 175mph. The car hasn't been down the track once yet....so it's still a giant mystery and this stuff isn't as easy as it looks.

Besides...he doesn't count...his car is more like a rocket than a car.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
Wow, I didn't expect this many responses and debates while I was away. A lot of great info and arguements and I appreciate them all. I MAY be leaning more towards the turbo route seeing as they are a bit more fuel efficient using "wasted" energy from the engine to make more power. I'm still not sure though, The magnuson SC sounds really appealing also. So many to choose from i can't decide :/.

Chris-HPS how much do you guys run for a turbo kit? Or maybe even the Twin Turbo kit?

Don't let them steer you in a direction you don't wanna go, I have YET to see a turbo car build without and issues, sure they make power but yet to see one not smoke,burn oil, blow a turbo or some issue. For what you want a PD blower will suit you fine with room to grow if you want.
TVS2300 ,Hendrix Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch, Dana 60 3.73, DSS 1400HP Axles,JRe cam & LaMotta Performance tuned,LPE Fuel, AI Super Chiller,MT ET Streets
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #31
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99 View Post
Don't let them steer you in a direction you don't wanna go, I have YET to see a turbo car build without and issues, sure they make power but yet to see one not smoke,burn oil, blow a turbo or some issue. For what you want a PD blower will suit you fine with room to grow if you want.

This. Even though they are magic...they are not for the average Joe to just slap on and forget...at least not in my opinion.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Superchargers have always been in my mind as a great and easy way to bolt on instant HP gains but with a significant decrease in Gas mileage which I know its a little silly using gas mileage and supercharger in the same sentence but for someone like me who still wants to use the car as a Daily driver, taking the least amount of a hit in gas mileage would be great. Which is why turbos kind of appeal to me being a more economical route to take.

In the end though I think I might still go the Supercharger route. I'm more familiar with them and sounds like less to take care of once its on. I really do want to add a CAI, Long Tubes, and new exhaust. Supercharger kits all come with Tunes I'm assuming, or do I still need to shop around for one of those too?
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #33
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Superchargers have always been in my mind as a great and easy way to bolt on instant HP gains but with a significant decrease in Gas mileage which I know its a little silly using gas mileage and supercharger in the same sentence but for someone like me who still wants to use the car as a Daily driver, taking the least amount of a hit in gas mileage would be great. Which is why turbos kind of appeal to me being a more economical route to take.

In the end though I think I might still go the Supercharger route. I'm more familiar with them and sounds like less to take care of once its on. I really do want to add a CAI, Long Tubes, and new exhaust. Supercharger kits all come with Tunes I'm assuming, or do I still need to shop around for one of those too?

Not sure who told you that a SC will get worse fuel mileage but my car is over 620RWHP and when I drive it normal, it gets as good or better than it did STOCK. Now I don't drive it normal much but when I do go on a trip it gets 18-21mpg interstate between 75-80mph.

Either setup will be decided by YOUR driving style not turbo VS. SC they will both be so close it would be not noticable, where the turboo is more efficient is power and only when it gets up higher does that really come into play.
TVS2300 ,Hendrix Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch, Dana 60 3.73, DSS 1400HP Axles,JRe cam & LaMotta Performance tuned,LPE Fuel, AI Super Chiller,MT ET Streets
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #34
sam.u.el

Quote:
Not sure who told you that a SC will get worse fuel mileage but my car is over 620RWHP and when I drive it normal, it gets as good or better than it did STOCK. Now I don't drive it normal much but when I do go on a trip it gets 18-21mpg interstate between 75-80mph.
You know when I wrote that I was still thinking about the days when I was building my '72 Gran Torino and forgot all about how todays cars are so much more computer operated and canmanage fuel more efficiently.

I forgot Superchargers for carbureted engines are FAR more different than those of todays engines is basically what I was trying to say
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #35
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
If you are happy with a 120-140 rear wheel HP gain, then you can add a eforce, whipple, lysholm or a Magnuson without changing anything else. Both of those kits are designed to work with 100% stock vehicles.

At that level they are all practically the same. Which one appeals to you most cosmetically?
I agree w/ this completely although my favorite is the Whipple, if you are going to stay mostly stock and can get a Maggie for a grand or less than a Whipple then I would probably go with the Maggie.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #36
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Whipple or vortech.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #37
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Whipple, Maggie, E-Force, all produce roughly the same results. I went the E-Force route and could not be happier with my choice. Personally I prefer the clean lines and factory look of the E-Force which was one of the deciding factors in my decision.

Name:  DSC_0084.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  131.3 KB

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #38
Kronix
NJ/CA HT5 COTW 3/25/13

Drives: 2014 C7/2008 Z06/2007 Tahoe Z71
Have you read this thread?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38022

It'll help shed some light on the differences between all the superchargers & turbos, quite informative.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.67 @ 129mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
murdered

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Ann. Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post
TVS2300 or Whipple.
Very easy "bolt on" superchargers and you can just strap em on with a tune and have 120-130+ rwhp. They're also torque monsters so their a lot of fun.
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what do you mean by "with a tune"? Does that mean take it in to a shop to get it tuned, or is there a piece of tuning hardware that gets installed long side the supercharger?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #40
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what do you mean by "with a tune"? Does that mean take it in to a shop to get it tuned, or is there a piece of tuning hardware that gets installed long side the supercharger?
Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing and have it tuned.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
murdered

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Ann. Edition
Quote:
Take it to a shop that knows what they are doing and have it tuned.
Cool. Thanks for the response/info.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #42
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered View Post
While I agree with Huffer to maximize your system it's always better to have it dyno tuned but each will come with a tune and tuner to put in the car. They are usually tuned for an otherwise stock car. But it's enough to work for the time being.

Last edited by PQ; 07-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #43
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
I am not sure we have even seen an 11.....let alone a 9.

>> I << ran a 10.92 my first night out... and there is a lot more in the car, just working on the driver mod... and we made some more changes since then...

Quote:
This is sooo true... I'm on turbo's 5 & 6, trans # 5, clutch # 3, drive shaft # 3, diff number 2, etc... If you buy a good kit, bolt it on, tune for it and leave it alone, you will get many happy years out of it..

Chris @ HPS, Hellion TTI and others have great single and twin turbo kits... If you push the envelope though... Break out the check book and get ready to watch it dwindle... you will break stuff and either end up with a garage space occupying weight, or a money pit...

The Blowers from Maggie, Whipple etc are great bolt on tune and drive kits... you can buy them with or without a handheld tuner.. If you have a shop you trust to tune, but it without the handheld, or buy it with it and let the tuner load a custom tune in it...

We are fortunate there are soo many options out there...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
PQ

Unless the engine get's Forged I wouldn't recommend a twins. I'm thinking the boost would KILL a stock LS3.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #45
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
While I agree with Huffer to maximize your system it's always better to have it dyno tuned but each will come with a tune and tuner to put in the car. They are usually tuned for an otherwise stock car. But it's enough to work for the time being.
They only come with a tuner if you order it like that. It doesn't come automatically...and the stock tunes blow chunks....so I'd forget that idea.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #46
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
>> I << ran a 10.92 my first night out... and there is a lot more in the car, just working on the driver mod... and we made some more changes since then...
Ah my mistake...we have one!!

Quote:
This is sooo true... I'm on turbo's 5 & 6, trans # 5, clutch # 3, drive shaft # 3, diff number 2, etc... If you buy a good kit, bolt it on, tune for it and leave it alone, you will get many happy years out of it..

Chris @ HPS, Hellion TTI and others have great single and twin turbo kits... If you push the envelope though... Break out the check book and get ready to watch it dwindle... you will break stuff and either end up with a garage space occupying weight, or a money pit...

The Blowers from Maggie, Whipple etc are great bolt on tune and drive kits... you can buy them with or without a handheld tuner.. If you have a shop you trust to tune, but it without the handheld, or buy it with it and let the tuner load a custom tune in it...

We are fortunate there are soo many options out there...
Yes..pain and misery OR buy a Supercharger kit. Lol.
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #47
PQ

Quote:
They only come with a tuner if you order it like that. It doesn't come automatically...and the stock tunes blow chunks....so I'd forget that idea.
Agreed. Especially if you have other mods.

BUT they will get you by for a while til you get to a tuner.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #48
sam.u.el

The Maggie seems to maybe be the one I'll go with. From what I heard the E-force is great, has a clean look, but is the quieter of the bunch. I kind of want that supercharger Whine .

All I [B]plan on doing is putting some Long Tubes, CAI, and aftermarket exhaust.
Would it be best to work my way up to the supercharger, or get the kit and install everything else afterwards?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
PQ

Quote:
The Maggie seems to maybe be the one I'll go with. From what I heard the E-force is great, has a clean look, but is the quieter of the bunch. I kind of want that supercharger Whine .

All I [B]plan on doing is putting some Long Tubes, CAI, and aftermarket exhaust.
Would it be best to work my way up to the supercharger, or get the kit and install everything else afterwards?
The Maggie will come with a tuner by default. And if you don't have the headers and exhaust yet then the tune it comes with will work just fine till you do the rest and dyno tune it.

Are you installing yourself?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #50
sam.u.el

Quote:
The Maggie will come with a tuner by default. And if you don't have the headers and exhaust yet then the tune it comes with will work just fine till you do the rest and dyno tune it.

Are you installing yourself?
So as far as the CAI it doesn't matter, I can get it now or later?

Well, I'll look at the instructions, look at myself in the mirror and decide if I can install it myself with a couple of my buddies. I know a lot about engines but I'm just not very good at the hands on work