Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #51
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
Did someone suggest a tune? Jeesshhh, this guy's peelin while upshifting have read and heard great things from Trifecta tunes. Will wait a little to see if there's a programmer out there for LFX to mess around with simple tunes myself. Not looking for fancy stuff--just need to upgrade those shiftpoints, and be able to "hide" the tune when going to dealer for SVC.

Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #52
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Actually 278 TQ is not too bad for this engine. Sure, 300 TQ would be nice, but look at many other potent V6s out there and you will find their TQ numbers are quite a bit lower than their HP figure. My numbers aren't exact, but the mustang V6 makes around 273TQ, and even the all mighty 370Z makes no more TQ than our car does. .
The TQ is not bad, but our heavier Camaro v6 could use a boost in tq. But even a v6 Mustang with 305 hp and 273 tq = 1.11 ratio, where our Camaro has almost 1.17! Its the weight of our car that hurts us some, or the lack of torque.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #53
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
I've had an L99 and currently have a 2012 SS M6. For kicks the other day, I went to the Chevy dealership and drove a V6 Camaro auto trans and I was very impressed by it's performance. I tried it at moderate throttle, wide open and in both manual and sport modes and it definitely has a lot of spunk for a V6. I wish I had the bucks for a second new car, it would definitely be one like yours.

Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #54
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
Great post, and yes those are the torque numbers for the '04 Sequoia 4.7L. With those torque numbers, even though its a brontosaurus at 4600lbs, it just jumps when u tap the throttle from dead stop, and gets up to speed quickly, effortless.

With our 1LT A6, at only 278ft lb tq, seems like it's kind of low for the weight of the car.

As noted on the SS---426hp/420 ftlb TQ, almost a 1:1 hp/tq ratio---it can effortlessly accelerate and doesnt need to be revved to 4000 rpm to feel alive getting normal driving or a little agressive, I'm sure.

However, for our V6, we only get 278, and wish it was more like 317-320 ft lb TQ, for a similar HP/TQ ratio of 1:1, like an SS.

So why only 278? Is because it was programmed from GM this way, shift points, etc., or the gearing is not as good?

In meantime, I've def learned so far that it's ok to be more agressive on throttle on this car---seems like it likes to revved as you said, and gets bored and sluggish w/ lower rpm, LOL.
Because engines are still very much mechanical beings. It goes much deeper than computer work. Valve sizes, camshaft profiles, piston sizes, crank stroke, head flow, intakes, etc...the engine doesn't make high torque because that's not how small naturally aspirated V6s work. Its extremely common for a motor of the size to make more HP than TQ the way this one does. It's simply the nature of the beast.

The Ford Ecoboost 3.5L V6 makes 367HP at 5400 RPM and 420TQ at....2500 RPM. Because, among other things, they stuck twin blow dryers on it. That's the exception.

Yes, the 6.2L doesn't need to rev to 4000 to move because it makes far more power down low. You have to understand how an internal combustion engine works before you can compare to wildly different engines such as the LS3/L99 6.2L and the LFX 3.6L. They simply will NEVER act the same. They having nothing in common aside from running on gasoline. They make way different amounts of power in different places. No computer tune, CAI, exhaust, or rear end gears will make one act like the other. Short of $6K investment into forced induction a V6 is going to act like a V6.

278TQ isn't much for a 3700lb car, but if one drives that engine like GM designed it to be driven, it motivates these fat Camaros just fine

Stock for stock, it will never compare to a V8 but I wasn't spending $7500 more to get to a entry level 1SS and then paying even more on insurance than my already high truck premiums.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #55
Yohan

Here's a vid of 0-60 on a v6: Sure I can hammer it like that get it to shift near redline, but that's not how I get out of my driveway to go work, man I'm talking more about normal daily driving, especially low end, pulling out from stop or turning into street and then accelerating, etc---that's when the lag or sluggish feel seems be at when compared to a v8. Perhaps it was just that I was expecting my A6V6 to respond lowend like a v8, more alive, but instead we just gotta rev it more.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #56
SimpleGreen

Precisely. You MUST rev smaller motors to get power. Sad fact of life, lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #57
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Because engines are still very much mechanical beings. It goes much deeper than computer work. Valve sizes, camshaft profiles, piston sizes, crank stroke, head flow, intakes, etc...the engine doesn't make high torque because that's not how small naturally aspirated V6s work. Its extremely common for a motor of the size to make more HP than TQ the way this one does. It's simply the nature of the beast.
You're right. Makes sense. Guess I just was shocked by the Sequoia's 4.7L 240hp low end response even being so heavy, and then comparing that to me having to rev mine A6V6 to 4000rpm to get a similar feel. Have taken to heart and put into practice your advice of driving in Sport mode and just revving it more---so far so good. Getting good mpg still, and drving it more agressively is sweet on this car.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #58
SimpleGreen

Quote:
You're right. Makes sense. Guess I just was shocked by the Sequoia's 4.7L 240hp low end response even being so heavy, and then comparing that to me having to rev mine A6V6 to 4000rpm to get a similar feel. Have taken to heart and put into practice your advice of driving in Sport mode and just revving it more---so far so good. Getting good mpg still, and drving it more agressively is sweet on this car.
Hah, cool. Just gotta find your style.

It throws me for a loop too when I get in my truck. It drives like GARBAGE compared to my Camaro but the on tap power is superior.

Still LOVE my 1LT. Three months later and I still get excited to see it in the parking lot after work
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #59
Yohan

Same here. My next door neighbor looked at my 1LT today after work, and he couldn't believe I was getting 24.7 mpg ave on "this beast", lol.

These cars are just amazing. Would love to check out a simpler tuner/programmer to play around w/ shift points.

Last edited by Yohan; 07-06-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #60
shadycamaro
Imperial Stunner

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS (IBM)
@Yohan

I struggled with the moderate performance your speaking of... in the rare occasions I'm "conservatively" driving the car.

You should have noticed a pretty good difference when in "sport mode" rather than regular old drive. The MPG's don't fall off by any huge amount either (unless WOL'ing it for fun but thats the case in D as well - shifts are just sooner).

The way this car gets it's higher mpg is thru AFM "active fuel management". It's genious & crap at the same time IMO. The car drops from 6 active firing cylinders to 4. So at low torque & heavy curb weight... your now trying to move this car on a 4 banger rather than a 6. That causes the lug & when radio off the chatter/vibration noise from below (2nd thru 3rd gear). WRONG, TRY AGAIN - Thanks AngryBird!

As I stated before I have had this issue in many GM cars. You can complain till blue in the face, nothing they are going to change or "fix" from factory standpoint.

I personally do not have the trifecta tune, but have driven others with it & the TCM modification they provide corrects this immensely. I have had other tunes on my prior pontiac g6 & g8... as well as my Cadillac CTS. They all experianced issues in different shift points as well & were corrected/improved by aftermarket solutions.

Good luck!

Last edited by shadycamaro; 07-07-2012 at 08:08 AM.
shadycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #61
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadycamaro View Post
@Yohan

The way this car gets it's higher mpg is thru AFM "active fuel management". It's genious & crap at the same time IMO. The car drops from 6 active firing cylinders to 4. So at low torque & heavy curb weight... your now trying to move this car on a 4 banger rather than a 6. That causes the lug & when radio off the chatter/vibration noise from below (2nd thru 3rd gear).

As I stated before I have had this issue in many GM cars. You can complain till blue in the face, nothing they are going to change or "fix" from factory standpoint.

Good luck!
Umm the 6 does not have AFM. I don't know where you got that info. Only the SS L99 with auto transmission has AFM.
Mine does not vibrate or chatter at low RPMs and neither did my 2010.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #62
shadycamaro
Imperial Stunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Umm the 6 does not have AFM. I don't know where you got that info. Only the SS L99 with auto transmission has AFM.
Mine does not vibrate or chatter at low RPMs and neither did my 2010.

Must have mis-read that along the way... thanks for the quick correction & sorry for mis-information.

So, I guess it's just the factory TCM shift points then. I have seen many people complaining about the same performance lag on here. The vibration/chatter I experianced (although on a 2012)... I found may be due to bad exhaust from factory (which I believe many either 2010/11 owners experianced - you had to bang at rear to confirm & GM genrally replaced to correct). I've replaced mine with aftermarket recently & no longer hear that over the new exhaust note

Thanks again for the AFM info, no strikethru available in edit...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #63
Yohan

As far as tunes go, came across this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79922

Are the tunes detectable or not? Pretty strong challenge right there. GM seems to be prety tough on tunes, taking hardline against anyone caught with one:(
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #64
Yohan

@Shady--sport mode is the only way I'll be driving my car with. Shifts are a little better as they are a little longer. MPG is the same pretty much, too. This should be the default setting from factory. Its a sports car, and should feel sport mode like from get go, man!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #65
shadycamaro
Imperial Stunner

Quote:
@Shady--sport mode is the only way I'll be driving my car with. Shifts are a little better as they are a little longer. MPG is the same pretty much, too. This should be the default setting from factory. Its a sports car, and should feel sport mode like from get go, man!
If you go with trifecta, their tune can be set to replace sport mode & then drive would still be available for good mpg on trips/long distance. They are the only one I know of that offer transparency mode.

"I have not inquired if sport could be moved to drive & theirs on sport (now that would be an awesome combo).

Per their website & other threads read:

Tune Transparency (EZ Flash only, most vehicles supported)

In an effort to integrate our custom tuning with your vehicle as seemlessly as possible, our tunes now include an optional feature called "tune transparency". Modern day vehicles are getting increasingly complex, with communications occurring between many different modules in the vehicle. With our "tune transparency" option enabled, our Trifecta tune will appear to be completely stock to all other modules in the vehicle. This optional feature is provided to allow our customers to choose an additional level of transparency with our products.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #66
shadycamaro
Imperial Stunner

Quote:
As far as tunes go, came across this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79922

Are the tunes detectable or not? Pretty strong challenge right there. GM seems to be prety tough on tunes, taking hardline against anyone caught with one:(
My prior GM dealership could see my vector motorsports ecm & tcm modify. They didn't void my warranty, b/c they can't unless the tune directly results in the failure. It can be argued either way, but you will certainly loose if the dealership is not on your side from the start. Talk to the service manager you take your car too & find out how mod friendly they are. You'd be surprised
Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #67
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Wouldn't you want bigger gears for more torque? I believe the A6 is 2.97?
Actually, the bigger the ratio number, the smaller the gear. If you guys are running 3.27, then I would say look into 3.70 and up...4.10's were used in the past to give v6 engines more of a v8 feel.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED BBK 95MM TB, INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTED TO 95MM, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA) & DYNO TUNED BY TORQ (WWW.GETTORQ.COM), 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - MUSTANG DYNO RESULTS: 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #68
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Saw the tune video. Yeah my LFX chirps going into second too, with the TC still turned on. You dont need a supercharger or tune to do that.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #69
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Saw the tune video. Yeah my LFX chirps going into second too, with the TC still turned on. You dont need a supercharger or tune to do that.
Wonder if A6 chirps as well. Guess a litte test run or two later tonight

what do u think about these tunes? Wish there was something simpler avail for LFX already. Checked those JET power progammers, and something like that seems sufficient.

Wish Trifecta and other reputable companies would offer simpler tunes. For those wanting a bit better mpg, offer a simple mpg tune package. Those looking for better shifting or shiftpoints, offer a shifting package.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #70
Yohan

@BubbaSS: im def looking into gearing suggestion. The 3.7 should in theory provide better accelaration/torque feel?

Btw, just saw the Torq website u got ur sct tune from, and its a couple exits from my house. Will check them out as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #71
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Absolutely! But it's more of a fact...Torque Multiplication at the wheels. Your wheels are literally pushing with more torque, so you are climbing through the rpm's faster, lowering your 0-60 and reaching your top speed faster. If you have a manual transmission I would recommend to go with even smaller gears, like 3.91 or 4.11...If you went from 3.27 to 4.11 on a manual transmission your car would move as if it gained 70+ lbs of torque, even though it did not. This mod would require a computer flash to calibrate the speedometer.

Torq in Miramar is a sponser here on C5, ask for Eric.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED BBK 95MM TB, INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTED TO 95MM, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA) & DYNO TUNED BY TORQ (WWW.GETTORQ.COM), 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - MUSTANG DYNO RESULTS: 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #72
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
Absolutely! But it's more of a fact...Torque Multiplication at the wheels. Your wheels are literally pushing with more torque, so you are climbing through the rpm's faster, lowering your 0-60 and reaching your top speed faster. If you have a manual transmission I would recommend to go with even smaller gears, like 3.91 or 4.11...If you went from 3.27 to 4.11 on a manual transmission your car would move as if it gained 70+ lbs of torque, even though it did not. This mod would require a computer flash to calibrate the speedometer.

Torq in Miramar is a sponser here on C5, ask for Eric.
Thats exactly the feel my a6 needs. Better low end acceleration and torque feel

Guess u recommend the 3.7 for the automatics? Upgrading to 3.7 requires a tune as well i assume?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #73
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Yohan honestly your FIRST mods should be to let the engine breathe: CAI and exhaust. These will only compliment any other future engine mods.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #74
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Quote:
Thats exactly the feel my a6 needs. Better low end acceleration and torque feel

Guess u recommend the 3.7 for the automatics? Upgrading to 3.7 requires a tune as well i assume?
Yeah, I know that the a6 v8's have aggressive gearing and anything above 3.73 makes it difficult for them to keep traction, I assume the v6 gearing is similar. If I were you I would consult with Torq and see what they recommend...and yes you'll need the calibration tune Also, keep in mind that these mods/tunes can possibly interfere in future warranty claims...just an fyi
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #75
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Found this regarding gear swaps on v6:

" As owners of the 5th generation Camaro continue their pursuit of more performance, many are swapping to a more aggressive set of rear end gears. While not an inexpensive modification, the bang for your buck with a rear end gear swap is hard to beat and the improvement in performance is dramatic. Making this sort of modification can be intimidating because many people don’t understand differentials and gearing. In this post I will try to provide some basic information to at least try and help get you pointed in the right direction.

How It Works

The rear differential is the device that transmits torque and rotation from the driveshaft to the rear axles which then drives the rear wheels. The rear end gears contain a ring and pinion gear that can be swapped to different ratios. The stock Camaro comes with either a 3.27 (all V6 models and the automatic SS) or a 3.45 (manual SS) rear end gear ratio. This means that for every 3.27 or 3.45 rotations of the drive shaft your rear wheels will turn once. A lower gear ratio means increased torque and increased acceleration without the engine having to create any additional power.

This all sounds great but the are some potential draw backs. A lower gear ratio means that your engine has to turn faster at cruising speeds which means fuel mileage can suffer. In the case of the 5th generation Camaro, the new six speed transmissions help mitigate the impact of this. Camaro owners that do a lot of highway miles have been reporting a loss of about 1-2 MPG, while those who drive mostly in town are reporting no change and even an increase in some cases due to the engine not having to work as hard to get up to speed.

The other potential draw back is that a lower gear ratio will shave away top end speed. This is not important to the average Joe since the Camaro is capable of speeds well beyond the speed limit right off the showroom floor, but for competitive drag racers it can be. It is possible that while the lower ratio will cause your car to accelerate faster it can also cause you to have to shift gears one more time before you cross the finish line, potentially sacrificing the gains made. Careful calculations should be made when selecting the correct ratio for these sorts of applications.

The Numbers

Camaro V6 Models Currently, there is only one gear ratios made specifically for the 5th generation V6 Camaro. For the V6 Camaros Richmond manufacturers a 3.55 gear ratio. With the stock 3.27s the automatic (A6) equipped V6 runs 1750 RPM at 70 MPH. Swapping to the 3.55s provides an equivalent torque gain of approximately 10% or 27.3 ld.-ft. of torque at the rear wheels and will raise 70 MPH cruising RPM to 1949.

The V6 Camaros equipped with the manual transmission (M6) come with 3.27s and run 2000 RPM at 70 MPH. Swapping to the 3.55s provides an equivalent torque gain of approximately 10% or 27.3 ld.-ft. of torque at the rear wheels and will raise 70 MPH cruising RPM to 2167.

The rear end in the M6 equipped V6 Camaro is similar enough to the SS that their gears will also work. Apex Motorsports recently had a customer install Richmond 3.73s in his car. The result was an equivalent torque gain of approximately 15% or 41.5 rear wheel lb.-ft. of torque at the rear wheels and will raise 70 MPH cruising RPM to 2277.

Make It Happen Hopefully, the information in this post has helped you better understand gear swaps. If you think a gear swap may be right for your project be sure to consult a professional during your decision making process."

Last edited by BubbaSS; 07-07-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: wanted to add quotations and fix a calculation error