Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #76
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
@Henry---as far as exhaust, im looking for something that truly does improve performance. Sound is good, but improving overall exjaust performance would b great. Would like to do something more significant, like the Solo Mach X, which upgrades pipes as well, and might impact performance more. However, would like to see dyno numbers/graph to see if its worth it.

Last edited by Yohan; 07-07-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #77
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Yeah my LFX chirps going into second too, with the TC still turned on.
Mine will chirp third as well.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #78
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Mine will chirp third as well.

John B.
NICE!!
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #79
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
NICE!!
Not bad for completely stock, eh?

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #80
Yohan

That's a nice feature of you m6 Camaros! Chirping on shifts Wonder if the A6 paddle shifting can also chirp?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #81
butters
It's not the batmobile!

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
Found this regarding gear swaps on v6:

" As owners of the 5th generation Camaro continue their pursuit of more performance, many are swapping to a more aggressive set of rear end gears. While not an inexpensive modification, the bang for your buck with a rear end gear swap is hard to beat and the improvement in performance is dramatic. Making this sort of modification can be intimidating because many people don’t understand differentials and gearing. In this post I will try to provide some basic information to at least try and help get you pointed in the right direction.

How It Works

The rear differential is the device that transmits torque and rotation from the driveshaft to the rear axles which then drives the rear wheels. The rear end gears contain a ring and pinion gear that can be swapped to different ratios. The stock Camaro comes with either a 3.27 (all V6 models and the automatic SS) or a 3.45 (manual SS) rear end gear ratio. This means that for every 3.27 or 3.45 rotations of the drive shaft your rear wheels will turn once. A lower gear ratio means increased torque and increased acceleration without the engine having to create any additional power.

This all sounds great but the are some potential draw backs. A lower gear ratio means that your engine has to turn faster at cruising speeds which means fuel mileage can suffer. In the case of the 5th generation Camaro, the new six speed transmissions help mitigate the impact of this. Camaro owners that do a lot of highway miles have been reporting a loss of about 1-2 MPG, while those who drive mostly in town are reporting no change and even an increase in some cases due to the engine not having to work as hard to get up to speed.

The other potential draw back is that a lower gear ratio will shave away top end speed. This is not important to the average Joe since the Camaro is capable of speeds well beyond the speed limit right off the showroom floor, but for competitive drag racers it can be. It is possible that while the lower ratio will cause your car to accelerate faster it can also cause you to have to shift gears one more time before you cross the finish line, potentially sacrificing the gains made. Careful calculations should be made when selecting the correct ratio for these sorts of applications.

The Numbers

Camaro V6 Models Currently, there is only one gear ratios made specifically for the 5th generation V6 Camaro. For the V6 Camaros Richmond manufacturers a 3.55 gear ratio. With the stock 3.27s the automatic (A6) equipped V6 runs 1750 RPM at 70 MPH. Swapping to the 3.55s provides an equivalent torque gain of approximately 10% or 27.3 ld.-ft. of torque at the rear wheels and will raise 70 MPH cruising RPM to 1949.

The V6 Camaros equipped with the manual transmission (M6) come with 3.27s and run 2000 RPM at 70 MPH. Swapping to the 3.55s provides an equivalent torque gain of approximately 10% or 27.3 ld.-ft. of torque at the rear wheels and will raise 70 MPH cruising RPM to 2167.

The rear end in the M6 equipped V6 Camaro is similar enough to the SS that their gears will also work. Apex Motorsports recently had a customer install Richmond 3.73s in his car. The result was an equivalent torque gain of approximately 15% or 41.5 rear wheel lb.-ft. of torque at the rear wheels and will raise 70 MPH cruising RPM to 2277.

Make It Happen Hopefully, the information in this post has helped you better understand gear swaps. If you think a gear swap may be right for your project be sure to consult a professional during your decision making process."
Great info!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #82
Prime

Drives: 2012 2LT
Hey bud, it seems to me like you are taking it easy. When I punch it my car shifts at around 7k rpms. If I paddle shift (which I don't mess with too much) I do it around 6500.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #83
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Hey bud, it seems to me like you are taking it easy. When I punch it my car shifts at around 7k rpms. If I paddle shift (which I don't mess with too much) I do it around 6500.
wow, thats how normally drive ur car out of ur driveway to work or to run some errands? If so, it must super fun, but what kind of mpg are u getting? If I got a truck or slow car slowing traffic down in front of me, yeah I get on gas, and rev it 6000rpm to blow by and move on, etc., but I dont drive it that hard for normal daily driving, especially city, since im also trying to get good mpg (23-25mpg avg hwy/city mix).

I've learned over las few days that indeed, these autobots like the revs, and as u and others pointed out, I was just.being too passive with it. Still learning its powerband, and happy to know it def can snap head back with a good push on throttle
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #84
Prime

Drives: 2012 2LT
Yeah, my response was after reading the first page. I read the rest after realizing it was 4 pages (doh) and see you were being a little more aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
wow, thats how normally drive ur car out of ur driveway to work or to run some errands? If so, it must super fun, but what kind of mpg are u getting?
I don't always drive like that, but when I get on it, I punch it. I drive all city and punch it on average maybe 1 time to work, and 1 time on the way home where there are some good areas to open it up. I usually wait for about 10 minutes to let the engine warm up before I get too aggressive. If I am first in a stop light, I will usually let it go then too.

I am getting 16.4 MPG - all city with a lot of lights from home to work.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #85
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Well after going to a local 5th generation car meet i've decided to finish my exterior mods (wheels and tires) left and i'll start making double or triple payments every month to pay off my car quicker. I'll move up to a an SS model in a year or two. Nothing like the sound of a v8 and all the performance options availble to the v8 guys. I can't see me wasting any more money on engine mods. Only have the C.A.I. intake and MRT exhaust with rx catch can. No offense to anyone who is persuing beefing out their v6. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to sink tons of money on my v6 such as cams when available super charger or turbo etc. etc. etc. All it took was to see such nice SS's with the horse power #'s to go with those sweet sounding motors When the time comes to trade in i'll take off all my mods and either sell them or put them on the SS when i get it. Anyways good luck to all the v6'ers in your quest for power.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #86
blackswan

Drives: Yes
I dunno man, if you are "driving it hard" and still getting 24mpg, SOMETHING is wrong.

Quote:
Well, just came back from little experiment drive. Started my stealth fighter up, and looked through my CD case, popped in Alter Bridge, "Ties that Bind", turned vol up, and hit the road on Sport mode, no paddles.[ Reset mpg avg MPG and then blasted some Creed, "Bullets".]

Took a trip around city, 10 miles. Avg speed was 22 mph (stopping, slowing down, etc). Had about 5 stop signs, 5 traffic lights. This time I accelerated more agressively, aroround 2500-3000 rpm untill I got to 45-50mph, and then "coasted" keeping it around 1200 rpm, and man, this car loves it. Great combo. Had to pass a slow a$$ truck in front of me slowing everyone down, and crossed 2 over-passes (uphill).

Looked at my avg MPG DIC, and 24.1 mpg avg

Amazing for a city drive! From now on, will only drive in Sport mode
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #87
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Well I get good mileage too:
Lots of freeway and cruise. 75. But then on the canyon, and around I'm driving like I'm 16. Still getting 24 too. 65% freeway, 35% funtime. Manual trans helps I think too. Sure is a whole lot more fun.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #88
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
I dunno man, if you are "driving it hard" and still getting 24mpg, SOMETHING is wrong.
No need to drive it hard for me. I'm in no rush to peel out of my drive way, stops, lights, etc., slam brakes, red-line revving, etc. Yet, even if I were to drive it hard in the city, while getting 24 mpg, that's AMAZING--shows the LFX and CAI kit are a super combo.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #89
Yohan

Quote:
Well I get good mileage too:
Lots of freeway and cruise. 75. But then on the canyon, and around I'm driving like I'm 16. Still getting 24 too. 65% freeway, 35% funtime. Manual trans helps I think too. Sure is a whole lot more fun.
Can't complain! 24mpg avgs only shows how efficient the LFX is, and perhaps how well the CAI kit complements it
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #90
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
Well after going to a local 5th generation car meet i've decided to finish my exterior mods (wheels and tires) left and i'll start making double or triple payments every month to pay off my car quicker. I'll move up to a an SS model in a year or two. Nothing like the sound of a v8 and all the performance options availble to the v8 guys. I can't see me wasting any more money on engine mods. Only have the C.A.I. intake and MRT exhaust with rx catch can. No offense to anyone who is persuing beefing out their v6. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to sink tons of money on my v6 such as cams when available super charger or turbo etc. etc. etc. All it took was to see such nice SS's with the horse power #'s to go with those sweet sounding motors When the time comes to trade in i'll take off all my mods and either sell them or put them on the SS when i get it. Anyways good luck to all the v6'ers in your quest for power.
Warrior---can't blame you brother-LOL. Being stricken by the V8 mamba is not easy to recover from. Not going to mod my engine, either. Not worth it for v6. Ported TB, exhaust, and perhaps a tune, and that's it for me. However, when it's time to put it down, rest assured my Nos 100 shot will be ready to go at push of a button

Also, my next Camaro will most likely be the v8 as well. I'm sure I can get 20mpg avg out of it, and that's good enough for me. However, no need to spend so much $$$ on mods---it comes with great power for the weight. In the meantime, sending extra payments to GM as well
Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #91
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Quote:
Warrior---can't blame you brother-LOL. Being stricken by the V8 mamba is not easy to recover from. Not going to mod my engine, either. Not worth it for v6. Ported TB, exhaust, and perhaps a tune, and that's it for me. However, when it's time to put it down, rest assured my Nos 100 shot will be ready to go at push of a button

Also, my next Camaro will most likely be the v8 as well. I'm sure I can get 20mpg avg out of it, and that's good enough for me. However, no need to spend so much $$$ on mods---it comes with great power for the weight. In the meantime, sending extra payments to GM as well
In all honesty my car looked better than some SS's that were there. I have a full gm-x body kit, havoc rear spoiler, technostalgia tail ligts, oracle led side markers etc. It's all blacked out and i like the way my car looks better than alot of Camaro's including some SS Camaro's except that i have the 1LT rims which i painted black. It has the looks but i really want the rumble and performance that the SS offers. My car will suit me fine until i get close to paying it off so i can put a big deposit on an SS when i'm ready.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote