Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
USB configuration

So either the USB software in these cars is retarded or I just can't find the settings. The port didn't work the first year I owned the car until I had the dealer do a software update.

So here's my question. Is there a way to get the stereo to play from the USB going by album instead of defaulting to going through all of the songs in alphabetical order? My Kenwood in the Trans Am just goes to the last song I was listening to, continues from there and stays on the same album. Basically it plays in order by folders not individual songs like the Camaro. I'd rather the Camaro do this, because I'd rather listen to my music as if I had a CD it rather than jumping around all over the place.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
You can set it up to play a whole album from start to finish and it will loop back to the first song when finished however if you wish to change albums you have to do it manually

- Press the menu button
- Turn Random off
- Go to search
- You will get three options. Search by Song, Search by Album, and Search by Artist. Choose either Album or Artist.
- Now one of two things will happen here depending on your choice above. If you choose Album, you will get a list of all your albums and you can choose which album. If you choose Artist, you will get a list of all the artists and when you choose a artist from the list, you will get a list of all of their albums.
- When you chosen a album, you will get a list of songs. Just pick the first song. If you turned random off in the second step the car will play from start to finish first song till the last.

It should remember where it was at when you turn the car off and pick right back up where it left off. Now when you want to change albums you will have to go through it all again but it is actually fairly easy and is quick to do once you do it enough times.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
yzark99

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
If you choose by artist, it will play all songs by that artist in alphabetical order. If you choose by album, it will play all songs in that album in alphabetical order. Annoying as hell. If you remove the thumb drive to update the songs, it goes back to playing all songs alphabetically. Equally annoying.

GM ignores track order in tags, and they ignore file names. Jerks. The way I fixed it was to assign a 4-digit code to the title of each song on my thumb drive. The track title is the only thing that works to sort your music alphabetically. From AA01 to ZZ99 on 875 tracks for me. Fun tagging times.

Now, my songs play in the correct order, and go from one album to another by the same artist. They also play in my preferred order on "all play". Yes, it does suck seeing the code in front of the title, but that is a small price to pay. There is one more thing: you can only get about 15 letters in the display. If you have more, it WILL NOT scroll and show the whole title.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Mine does not exhibit this behavior. When I play by album it plays the songs in numerical order.

At last count, I have over 150 albums and over 3,000 songs in my car. My car reads all their tags and reads them correctly with no issues.

Also when I remove my thumb drive to update my songs (which I do almost weekly) it will pick up and remember where it was as long as I plug it back in BEFORE I turn the car on.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Yea I knew about the search feature. I wish it would just default to reading the music like every other music player on the planet does.

Oh well I figured GM dropped the ball on this, but just wanted to make sure. I'll just continue to put it on random. Thanks for the help guys.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
pgustavson
Stop saying "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
I have found that the only way to get the tracks listed/played in the correct album order on my set-up is to select an album from "Folder View" (on mine the folder structure is artist\album\tracks). Of course, I'm a dinosaur who uses Windows Media Player to rip albums and the file format is .wma. Also, if I search/play from "Album" or "Artist", the tracks are ordered differently from the CD - but not alphabetically. Seemingly random, but consistent; meaning that they are ordered the same odd way each time the drive is indexed.

Last edited by pgustavson; 07-08-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add'l comment added...
pgustavson is offline   Reply With Quote