Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Exterior foglights don't work? Might be missing the button?

Just took delivery of my car. The fog lights don't come on and also the yellow lights next to the halo's? I think I'm missing the button? Can anyone tell me how to turn these lights on? I think you should be able to push the light switch in for the fog lights, but this button is missing? I have a 2SS/ RS. Any help would be great.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
RS cars do not have fog lights. Those lights in the fog light area are the daytime running lamps. You will not have all four lights coming on at night since the HIDs are already blinding.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Camaro007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
RS cars do not have fog lights. Those lights in the fog light area are the daytime running lamps. You will not have all four lights coming on at night since the HIDs are already blinding.
So the 4 lights should come on during the day by them self's? I pick the car up last night that might be why they wouldn't turn on?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
I had the same question when I drove my first RS. Scott has given you the answer.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I want to replace the daytime running lamps (fog light holders) in the RS with HID's as well and be able to have all four on at the same time. I'm hoping this can be done easily and wish the button to turn them on and off was there as well. Since it isn't, the wiring and button needs to be elsewhere..I hope someone is working on a mod for this as I'm sire others would like to have all four lights on as well..
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I want to replace the daytime running lamps (fog light holders) in the RS with HID's as well and be able to have all four on at the same time. I'm hoping this can be done easily and wish the button to turn them on and off was there as well. Since it isn't, the wiring and button needs to be elsewhere..I hope someone is working on a mod for this as I'm sire others would like to have all four lights on as well..
You'll be able to roast a chicken ten feet in front of the car!
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestanda View Post
You'll be able to roast a chicken ten feet in front of the car!
LOL.. I won't use it unless I have too..lol..
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Camaro007

Quote:
Are the yellow lights next to the Halo's daytime running lighs or suppose to come on at night? They currently don't come on either during the day or night?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

What funny is I put my car up againts one with hids. It was blowing my car away and then I turned on the fog lights and they both lit up the area the same.

So I can blind peps with 4 lights on.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
The yellow ones are probably turn signals...

But I wouldn't know because my car is MISSING!!!! according to DBC
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro007 View Post
Are the yellow lights next to the Halo's daytime running lighs or suppose to come on at night? They currently don't come on either during the day or night?

Those are the turn signals.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
soverydeb

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro Blk/Blk
doesn't anybody read the manual anymore???
soverydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soverydeb View Post
doesn't anybody read the manual anymore???
Ma... nu... al?
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
dUH
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Fog lights = Daytime running lights..Once it gets dark they shut off and the Halos come on.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If you get a car WITHOUT the RS package:

The headlamps are halogen bulbs, they use the bright lamps at low voltage for the Daytime Running Lamp (DRL), and the lamps inside the bumper are fog lamps. For these cars, the fog lamp switch is the center of the headlamp knob switch. Just push it to turn the fog lamps on and off.

If you get a car WITH the RS package:

The headlamps are Xenon gas charged HIDs with LED halo rings (so there are no bulbs), and the lamps in the bumper are now the DRLs. They come on automatically during the day when you start the car. When the headlights are turned on either by auto or manually, these lights automatically turn off. There is no override for this from the factory. That is how the headlamps are electrically wired from the factory if you get the RS package. In fact, there is a different headlamp knob switch for RS and non-RS equipped cars. If anyone has pictures of the headlamp switch knob from both models you can post them and see the difference.

So, if you get the RS package, the fog lights become the DRLs and you loose the fog light function at night.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If you get a car WITHOUT the So, if you get the RS package, the fog lights become the DRLs and you loose the fog light function at night.
Seems rather silly, fog lights can be very useful if you are doing something like say driving in the fog at night.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Scott@Bjorn3D

Not with the HID's you will get way to much light in the fog and it will bounce back and blind you.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:

The headlamps are Xenon gas charged HIDs with LED halo rings (so there are no bulbs), and the lamps in the bumper are now the DRLs.
Wait, so what are the halos for? I assumed they were the DRLs.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
If you get a car WITHOUT the RS package:

The headlamps are halogen bulbs, they use the bright lamps at low voltage for the Daytime Running Lamp (DRL), and the lamps inside the bumper are fog lamps. For these cars, the fog lamp switch is the center of the headlamp knob switch. Just push it to turn the fog lamps on and off.

The headlamps are Xenon gas charged HIDs with LED halo rings (so there are no bulbs), and the lamps in the bumper are now the DRLs. They come on automatically during the day when you start the car. When the headlights are turned on either by auto or manually, these lights automatically turn off. There is no override for this from the factory. That is how the headlamps are electrically wired from the factory if you get the RS package. In fact, there is a different headlamp knob switch for RS and non-RS equipped cars. If anyone has pictures of the headlamp switch knob from both models you can post them and see the difference.

So, if you get the RS package, the fog lights become the DRLs and you loose the fog light function at night.
For the RS - there was a thread a while back where Fbodfather said you can turn off the DRL's and turn on the halos by turning the knob 1 click to the left then 2 clicks to the right.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Splitter
Hot Rod Station Wagon

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS NPP
Send a message via AIM to Splitter Send a message via MSN to Splitter Send a message via Yahoo to Splitter
Why do people insist on having all 4 lights on at the same time? And even during the daytime? How idiotic is that? Why do people insist on having fog lights on also when its not even foggy? They don't increase visibility by enough that you're able to make a swifter decision on avoiding a certain incoming obstacle or anything, it just looks stupid and is a waste of juice.

The RS HIDs are PLENTY enough. I'm glad that the "Fogs" are the DRLs, I don't need to waste my HIDs for daytime driving. (Even though I'll probably have the Halos on, hehe.)

Just my opinions.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #22
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
What funny is I put my car up againts one with hids. It was blowing my car away and then I turned on the fog lights and they both lit up the area the same.

So I can blind peps with 4 lights on.

wait, so the camaros HIDs arent as bright as others HIDs?

EDIT: nvm. forget i spoke. i just assumed you have a RS. then i realized you had fogs lights. my bad.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
Why do people insist on having all 4 lights on at the same time? And even during the daytime? How idiotic is that? Why do people insist on having fog lights on also when its not even foggy? They don't increase visibility by enough that you're able to make a swifter decision on avoiding a certain incoming obstacle or anything, it just looks stupid and is a waste of juice.
I drive on empty roads through the woods where I encounter more deer jumping out from behind trees than I see cars on the road. Every little bit of light helps.

I always dim down to basic low beams when there's other traffic around, and never use anything more than DRLs or parking lights during the day. I even cancel my automatic headlights if they come on before it's dark enough to need to illuminate roads. I hate glare and do not want to glare in others' eyes.
Quote:
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Wait, so what are the halos for? I assumed they were the DRLs.
The halo's aren't really bright enough to FULLY qualify as DRLs, they can be hard to see in full daylight. But, I'll be using them as such anyway, my DRLs will not likely be used much at all.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #25
theholycow

There's no need for DRLs in bright daylight, you can't miss a Camaro coming at you. The real benefit of DRLs is in shady areas or on shady days. The example that comes to mind is a shady day, turning onto a fast moving street with little traffic and trees right up to the edge. You look through the trees and can't see anything coming, but if it's got some kind of marker light you'll definitely see it.

Apart from that purpose, DRLs as commonly implemented only serve to produce glare and to fool people into not noticing that their headlights aren't on when it gets dark (and so they drive around with half the illumination they need and no taillights on).

I wish I had a Camaro, so I could say that I'm going to set my halos as DRLs and my "fog lights" as fog lights.
Quote: