Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Camaro007
 
Camaro007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 132
Exterior foglights don't work? Might be missing the button?

Just took delivery of my car. The fog lights don't come on and also the yellow lights next to the halo's? I think I'm missing the button? Can anyone tell me how to turn these lights on? I think you should be able to push the light switch in for the fog lights, but this button is missing? I have a 2SS/ RS. Any help would be great.
__________________
2SS/RS, Black on Black w/Painted GFX, Exhaust Diverters, & 21" wheels.
Camaro007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,065
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
RS cars do not have fog lights. Those lights in the fog light area are the daytime running lamps. You will not have all four lights coming on at night since the HIDs are already blinding.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Camaro007
 
Camaro007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
RS cars do not have fog lights. Those lights in the fog light area are the daytime running lamps. You will not have all four lights coming on at night since the HIDs are already blinding.
So the 4 lights should come on during the day by them self's? I pick the car up last night that might be why they wouldn't turn on?
__________________
2SS/RS, Black on Black w/Painted GFX, Exhaust Diverters, & 21" wheels.
Camaro007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,068
I had the same question when I drove my first RS. Scott has given you the answer.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
I want to replace the daytime running lamps (fog light holders) in the RS with HID's as well and be able to have all four on at the same time. I'm hoping this can be done easily and wish the button to turn them on and off was there as well. Since it isn't, the wiring and button needs to be elsewhere..I hope someone is working on a mod for this as I'm sire others would like to have all four lights on as well..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Lovestanda
Large Member
 
Lovestanda's Avatar
 
Drives: Yugo SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I want to replace the daytime running lamps (fog light holders) in the RS with HID's as well and be able to have all four on at the same time. I'm hoping this can be done easily and wish the button to turn them on and off was there as well. Since it isn't, the wiring and button needs to be elsewhere..I hope someone is working on a mod for this as I'm sire others would like to have all four lights on as well..
You'll be able to roast a chicken ten feet in front of the car!
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestanda View Post
You'll be able to roast a chicken ten feet in front of the car!
LOL.. I won't use it unless I have too..lol..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Camaro007
 
Camaro007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
RS cars do not have fog lights. Those lights in the fog light area are the daytime running lamps. You will not have all four lights coming on at night since the HIDs are already blinding.
Are the yellow lights next to the Halo's daytime running lighs or suppose to come on at night? They currently don't come on either during the day or night?
__________________
2SS/RS, Black on Black w/Painted GFX, Exhaust Diverters, & 21" wheels.
Camaro007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,065
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
What funny is I put my car up againts one with hids. It was blowing my car away and then I turned on the fog lights and they both lit up the area the same.

So I can blind peps with 4 lights on.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
ZZcamaro


 
Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,706
The yellow ones are probably turn signals...

But I wouldn't know because my car is MISSING!!!! according to DBC
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro007 View Post
Are the yellow lights next to the Halo's daytime running lighs or suppose to come on at night? They currently don't come on either during the day or night?
...



Those are the turn signals.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
soverydeb
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wichita
Posts: 367
doesn't anybody read the manual anymore???
soverydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
MontyCarlo

 
MontyCarlo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by soverydeb View Post
doesn't anybody read the manual anymore???
Ma... nu... al?
__________________
FAQs:
1. No, I do not have any strong opinions about the Monte Carlo.
2. Yes, I know what my name looks like.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,612
dUH
__________________
CAMARO.. 2010 The Heart Beat is back in CHEVROLET
Now let's put it back in America
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
RickRay
INJACC
 
RickRay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal (South Shore)Quebec, Canada
Posts: 5,844
Fog lights = Daytime running lights..Once it gets dark they shut off and the Halos come on.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,650
If you get a car WITHOUT the RS package:

The headlamps are halogen bulbs, they use the bright lamps at low voltage for the Daytime Running Lamp (DRL), and the lamps inside the bumper are fog lamps. For these cars, the fog lamp switch is the center of the headlamp knob switch. Just push it to turn the fog lamps on and off.

If you get a car WITH the RS package:

The headlamps are Xenon gas charged HIDs with LED halo rings (so there are no bulbs), and the lamps in the bumper are now the DRLs. They come on automatically during the day when you start the car. When the headlights are turned on either by auto or manually, these lights automatically turn off. There is no override for this from the factory. That is how the headlamps are electrically wired from the factory if you get the RS package. In fact, there is a different headlamp knob switch for RS and non-RS equipped cars. If anyone has pictures of the headlamp switch knob from both models you can post them and see the difference.

So, if you get the RS package, the fog lights become the DRLs and you loose the fog light function at night.
__________________
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Tal
 
Drives: Old
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If you get a car WITHOUT the So, if you get the RS package, the fog lights become the DRLs and you loose the fog light function at night.
Seems rather silly, fog lights can be very useful if you are doing something like say driving in the fog at night.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,065
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Not with the HID's you will get way to much light in the fog and it will bounce back and blind you.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
theholycow


 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If you get a car WITH the RS package:

The headlamps are Xenon gas charged HIDs with LED halo rings (so there are no bulbs), and the lamps in the bumper are now the DRLs.
Wait, so what are the halos for? I assumed they were the DRLs.
__________________
Removing weight has surprisingly little effect on fuel economy
Engine break-in procedure | Gear ratios
2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (190,000 miles and going strong)
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
MontyCarlo

 
MontyCarlo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If you get a car WITHOUT the RS package:

The headlamps are halogen bulbs, they use the bright lamps at low voltage for the Daytime Running Lamp (DRL), and the lamps inside the bumper are fog lamps. For these cars, the fog lamp switch is the center of the headlamp knob switch. Just push it to turn the fog lamps on and off.

If you get a car WITH the RS package:

The headlamps are Xenon gas charged HIDs with LED halo rings (so there are no bulbs), and the lamps in the bumper are now the DRLs. They come on automatically during the day when you start the car. When the headlights are turned on either by auto or manually, these lights automatically turn off. There is no override for this from the factory. That is how the headlamps are electrically wired from the factory if you get the RS package. In fact, there is a different headlamp knob switch for RS and non-RS equipped cars. If anyone has pictures of the headlamp switch knob from both models you can post them and see the difference.

So, if you get the RS package, the fog lights become the DRLs and you loose the fog light function at night.
For the RS - there was a thread a while back where Fbodfather said you can turn off the DRL's and turn on the halos by turning the knob 1 click to the left then 2 clicks to the right.
__________________
FAQs:
1. No, I do not have any strong opinions about the Monte Carlo.
2. Yes, I know what my name looks like.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Splitter
Hot Rod Station Wagon
 
Splitter's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS NPP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 448
Send a message via AIM to Splitter Send a message via MSN to Splitter Send a message via Yahoo to Splitter
Why do people insist on having all 4 lights on at the same time? And even during the daytime? How idiotic is that? Why do people insist on having fog lights on also when its not even foggy? They don't increase visibility by enough that you're able to make a swifter decision on avoiding a certain incoming obstacle or anything, it just looks stupid and is a waste of juice.

The RS HIDs are PLENTY enough. I'm glad that the "Fogs" are the DRLs, I don't need to waste my HIDs for daytime driving. (Even though I'll probably have the Halos on, hehe.)

Just my opinions.
__________________
Permagrinning
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #22
levi1922

 
levi1922's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
What funny is I put my car up againts one with hids. It was blowing my car away and then I turned on the fog lights and they both lit up the area the same.

So I can blind peps with 4 lights on.

wait, so the camaros HIDs arent as bright as others HIDs?

EDIT: nvm. forget i spoke. i just assumed you have a RS. then i realized you had fogs lights. my bad.
__________________
levi1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
theholycow


 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
Why do people insist on having all 4 lights on at the same time? And even during the daytime? How idiotic is that? Why do people insist on having fog lights on also when its not even foggy? They don't increase visibility by enough that you're able to make a swifter decision on avoiding a certain incoming obstacle or anything, it just looks stupid and is a waste of juice.
I drive on empty roads through the woods where I encounter more deer jumping out from behind trees than I see cars on the road. Every little bit of light helps.

I always dim down to basic low beams when there's other traffic around, and never use anything more than DRLs or parking lights during the day. I even cancel my automatic headlights if they come on before it's dark enough to need to illuminate roads. I hate glare and do not want to glare in others' eyes.
__________________
Removing weight has surprisingly little effect on fuel economy
Engine break-in procedure | Gear ratios
2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (190,000 miles and going strong)
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
Brokinarrow


 
Brokinarrow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianola, IA
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Wait, so what are the halos for? I assumed they were the DRLs.
The halo's aren't really bright enough to FULLY qualify as DRLs, they can be hard to see in full daylight. But, I'll be using them as such anyway, my DRLs will not likely be used much at all.
__________________
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #25
theholycow


 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 2,699
There's no need for DRLs in bright daylight, you can't miss a Camaro coming at you. The real benefit of DRLs is in shady areas or on shady days. The example that comes to mind is a shady day, turning onto a fast moving street with little traffic and trees right up to the edge. You look through the trees and can't see anything coming, but if it's got some kind of marker light you'll definitely see it.

Apart from that purpose, DRLs as commonly implemented only serve to produce glare and to fool people into not noticing that their headlights aren't on when it gets dark (and so they drive around with half the illumination they need and no taillights on).

I wish I had a Camaro, so I could say that I'm going to set my halos as DRLs and my "fog lights" as fog lights.
__________________
Removing weight has surprisingly little effect on fuel economy
Engine break-in procedure | Gear ratios
2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (190,000 miles and going strong)
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does Cell Service Work with OnStar and Bluetooth? 69er Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 5 01-03-2009 01:31 PM
Boston area feeler-Painted stripes/other work Rallyman6 USA - NY / NJ / PA 3 12-01-2008 11:16 PM
MERGED: Has anyone read this (bankruptcy) about GM? LS3SSRS General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 460 11-23-2008 10:54 PM
If the El Camaro makes it to production.... Silverado General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 8 02-21-2008 10:17 AM
Anyone Work In The Auto Industry? AirGoya Off-topic Discussions 1 07-31-2007 06:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.