Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Radiator overflow tube sprayed coolant...

It's been over 100 degrees here for almost two weeks. One evening after a long drive in the heat, I noticed a very slight smell of sweetness coming from the hood area of the car. I opened it up to find small droplets of coolant sprayed all over the motor.

When the car cooled down, I felt all of the coolant lines. The only one that was wet was the tube that takes overflow coolant to the reservior. I couldn't see any signs of a streaming leak, just splatter as if something exploded.

I cleaned up all the areas then added a hose clamp on the radiator neck where the hose connects to the radiator. The hose came off with zero effort so I'm hoping this is the simple fix to this issue. I just went through a 45 day / 5 dealer trip nightmare with oil leaks and I really don't need the coolant to begin another 45 days of hell.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I'm almost sorry I bought this car. I've never had so many BS problems with a car with less than 20k on the dial.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Did you check coolant level and radiator cap?

There should be no boil overs! I have been in traffic jams at 102 deg with no problems.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Hannibal

I opened the cap. The fluid level is right up to the rim. The reservior is also showing correct amounts of coolant.

The hose clamp didn't do a damn thing. After I drove around for about an hour, I opened the hood and found droplets of coolant all over the passenger side of the engine compartment.

I'm taking this bucket into the dealer today. If one more thing breaks after this, it's off to the Ford dealership for me. I have lived in the service dept for the last 3 months. These cars are garbage.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
That sucks. I actually had something that I thought was a disaster like yours not long ago. I had some coolant forming on the top of the radiator and like you, I added a hose clamp on the overflow tube. That solved it for me. Mine felt super loose too so a trip to Autozone for a 69 cent clamp solved my issue.

Let us know what happens.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Hannibal

The dealer called me today. They said that the radiator is shot. Along with replacing the radiator, they're doing all of the hoses because of the horrible stink under the hood. PIP-4988 for those who have an engine compartment that smells like a dead rat is laying in there.

It looks like this will be a 3 day visit to the dealership. I doubt that they will get all the parts needed and have the job done before 7PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
Just had my radiator replaced and I only have 26k miles on car. Here in Vegas it's been in the steady 110 degrees. Took it to dealer and there was a pin hole leak. replaced it under warranty. Dealer had to ship the parts and it still only took them 1 day.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Hannibal

Yea, they told me that the leak was very small. I'm supposed to go in tomorrow before lunch to pick it up. That will make it a 3 day adventure. I'm sure that they just let the car sit all day yesterday and didn't do a damn thing until today. The entire ownership experience with this car has been awful. I'm scared to death at the prospect of hitting 36,000 miles on this heap of trash.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Yea, they told me that the leak was very small. I'm supposed to go in tomorrow before lunch to pick it up. That will make it a 3 day adventure. I'm sure that they just let the car sit all day yesterday and didn't do a damn thing until today. The entire ownership experience with this car has been awful. I'm scared to death at the prospect of hitting 36,000 miles on this heap of trash.
Sorry to hear that bro, so far the only issues I've had are the oil cooler and radiator. Both fixed so far so good knock on wood
Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
Hannibal

Yea man, I've had the oil cooler, oil pan gasket, oil pan, rear main, radiator and I still have the 3rd gear lockout issue and now I'm smelling rotten eggs from the cats. I have just over 11k on the odometer. This doesn't count the horrible paint that seems to just fall off the car and a mystery rattle that no one can figure out. It's a disgrace.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
I had my AC condensor replaced under warranty and after the work I started smelling anti freeze. I found that the overflow tube was not snapped all the way in at the bottom and anti freeze was splashing out. Once I fixed that it was good to go.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote