Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #256
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Replacement engine and the problem persists, obviously it's not the motor, unless you are one of the unluckiest people in the world. Opposite side of the coin, you may be one of the luckiest people in the world if GM is giving you a replacement car. Keep your chin up.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #257
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Are you going with the same color and set up?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #258
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
Damn man, that sucks. I'd tell the dealership to keep that car and order you another.
Im surprised they didnt say "can not duplicate" typical dealer answer. glad to see you got a new one though. the first one would have never been the same to you.

Last edited by AKA; 07-28-2012 at 11:41 PM.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #259
george
SS/RS Fan

Drives: Camaro SS/RS & BMW M3/E92
Oil leak issues have happened on earlier model 6.2 V8's. I know there is a different engine, but the oil pan and rear main seal as well as the oil cooler have been involved on these vehicles as well. I wonder if there is a connection in some way. In fact, a TSB has been issued on the oil porosity issue in previous threads on earlier 2010-2012 Camaro's.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #260
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
How many people here have actually driven their ZL1's close to the point of full throttle red line shifts ("like you stole it")?
There are too many CTS-Vs and ZL1s with this same engine running 4+ PSI over stock without oil leaking problems. Your dealer is just trying to find another excuse for the problem since they don't have any answers. Unless its some bizarre coincidence, I wonder if isn't something else like the oil pan as mentioned earlier.

I hate to read about this problem and I'm really glad you have another car in process. Too bad it's at the end of August for a build date.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #261
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Resolution

The Service Technician and the Service Manager had to consult an engineer via a telephone call and they all came to the conclusion that it had to be the PCV System. They checked that all the hoses were not blocked and in fact functioning, but inspected where they come together. They noticed the hoses come together at a metal can and after inspecting this they found that a rubber grommet which connects this can to the intake manifold had a mis-punched hole. The blocked grommet caused pressure to build in the engine which caused oil to leak passed the main seal in both motors at high RPM's.

The sum of this entire repair is approaching a month long and a hair under $17,000 in parts of warranty work caused by one mis-manufactured rubber grommet which probably cost $0.40 and a PCV System that could've been replaced by popping the hood in twenty minutes if properly diagnosed.

It seems to me like this could be a sporadic issue with the ZL1 PCV System, if it is ZL1 specific, and if in fact this mis-manufactured grommet was not a one-time error. So if anyone finds that after driving the car at high engine RPM's there is noticeable oil leaking, I would definitely check the PCV System before assuming anymore serious repairs. Those of you who had called out the PCV System as a likely source of the problem, you called it correctly.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #262
72MachOne99GT

Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Just curious, but have you had full coverage insurance on the car the whole time theyve had it, and are you required to keep it on the car until your replacement arrives?

Hopefully you're not getting shanked into paying for insurance you don't need. I know mines roughly 100 a month.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #263
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Wow...a $ .40 grommet cause all this drama..........Guess they wont make that mistake a gain....Glad they located the issue and glad you are getting a new ride.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #264
Fish-man
SS HWSE

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
The Service Technician and the Service Manager had to consult an engineer via a telephone call and they all came to the conclusion that it had to be the PCV System. They checked that all the hoses were not blocked and in fact functioning, but inspected where they come together. They noticed the hoses come together at a metal can and after inspecting this they found that a rubber grommet which connects this can to the intake manifold had a mis-punched hole. The blocked grommet caused pressure to build in the engine which caused oil to leak passed the main seal in both motors at high RPM's.

The sum of this entire repair is approaching a month long and a hair under $17,000 in parts of warranty work caused by one mis-manufactured rubber grommet which probably cost $0.40 and a PCV System that could've been replaced by popping the hood in twenty minutes if properly diagnosed.

It seems to me like this could be a sporadic issue with the ZL1 PCV System, if it is ZL1 specific, and if in fact this mis-manufactured grommet was not a one-time error. So if anyone finds that after driving the car at high engine RPM's there is noticeable oil leaking, I would definitely check the PCV System before assuming anymore serious repairs. Those of you who had called out the PCV System as a likely source of the problem, you called it correctly.
Oh my frickin gord. So, will they need to tear it back down to get the main seal to "re"seal?
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #265
Blueclyde

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Not surprised at all. This is not the first time a $0.40 part caused GM to buy a car back.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #266
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Since they finally located the souce of the problem and fixed it, will you still be getting/taking the new 2013 as a replacement?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #267
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I've been a feild service tech for a whole lotta years (not on cars), and one thing I've discovered many, many times, is that the harder the problem is to find, the simpler the fix is once you find the problem.

Glad to hear they finally tracked down the problem.

Must be mighty embarassing for GM to replace an entire engine for a bad grommet.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #268
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
It's amazing how many people here called out the "PCV system" saying PCV valve is stuck/blocked/faulty/system isn't working.

This story will go down in lore.

NEW TSB FOR ANY GM V8 ENGINE: IF CUSTOMER SAYS OIL IS LEAKING, DISASSEMBLE THE PCV SYSTEM. CHECK AND VERIFY NO BLOCKAGE.

This discovery alone will save the company lots of money.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 07-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #269
george
SS/RS Fan

Drives: Camaro SS/RS & BMW M3/E92
Dear CAM ZL1:
I wonder if this may be the issue with the SS models. Can you take a picture of the PCV "can"? Thank you in advance.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #270
Blast

Drives: 2009 SAAB 9-5 Aero
Sorry to bump a thread but what's the latest news ?

Did they get it running without issues in the end or did new things pop up to ruin your day?

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #271
qniknam
Account Suspended

Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleRS/SS View Post
Im surprised they didnt say "can not duplicate" typical dealer answer. glad to see you got a new one though. the first one would have never been the same to you.

LOL! Can not replicate and operating as designed are my favorite, the dealer saw how awesome I am when I won the lemon case on my 2011 haha
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #272
qniknam
Account Suspended

Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Quote:

It's kind of funny to me that, something so simple is the case 90% of the time with lemon cases. I had 6000 miles on my 2011 Camaro SS when my problems started and they first said its operating as designed, refused to change the transmission fluid to see if that was a problem, then they pulled the plug and saw shards which is a clear indication gears have been grinding, then they replaced synchros and all kinds of stuff. But nobody bothered to check to see if the clutch/brake fluid was okay since it was shared in the same resavoir. At the end of the battle and numerous phone calls to General Motors and a BBB Auto Line claim and the car getting lemon'd they finally heard me out and checked the fluid and it was black... They replaced it and the problems went away, and I still got a refund.

Last edited by qniknam; 08-07-2012 at 06:43 PM.
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, issue, oil leak, pcv, pos, problem, zl1