Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
sir574

Drives: 2011 1LT RS Synergy Green
Exclamation exhaust leak....

After installing some long tube headers the other day, and re-using the gaskets that were attached to the heat shields using RTV gasket maker.

I can hear it, like when I pull up next to the side of a building or another car. SO my question is... whats the best way to go about fixing this leak?

p.s. I have the v6
sir574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
New gaskets didnt come with them?

On my fourth gen I had to reuse the factory metal ones, AND added the paper ones that came with the headers. Never had a leak since day one.

Do you know its come from the head? It may be at the collector if all you are doing is hearing it.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Take it apart.....take off the OLD gasket.....clean the mating surfaces.....re-install using a new gasket.

for future work.....NEVER reuse a gasket, ALWAYS use new gaskets unless its an emergancy repair.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 07-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Take it apart.....take of the OLD gasket.....clean the mating surfaces.....re-install using a new gasket.

for future work.....NEVER reuse a gasket, ALWAYS use new gaskets unless its an emergancy repair.
I agree, unless the gaskets that come with the new part are crappy, and the old gasket is still usable. this is obviously very rare, but since my old gaskets were metal, they were perfect still, and that paper ones werent very good.

For the most part, you will use a new gasket, or even buy a better gasket than what comes with a part.

And I dont know what everyone else does, but I would never use silicone or sealant for headers. Just make sure the headers are manufactured well, and you have a good gasket, cross tighten your bolts.

If the bolts strip or vibrate loose, get locking header bolts.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
sir574

Drives: 2011 1LT RS Synergy Green
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The main reason I didnt order new gaskets was that the stock ones come with the heat shield attached. I ended up ordering some new ones this morning, I'm not sure how im gonna get the heat shield on these ones.

Also whats the best way to find where the leak is coming from?
sir574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

It tends to be tough to listen to noises like that, as they can bounce around. Try feeling where air might be coming out, or just looking to see.

Maybe let them cool down completely, pour water or something similar on to them and just have someone turn the car over a few times and you can see if if the pressure pushes the water out.

In the mean time, try not to let you car idle too long, dont want the fumes in the cabin. Just get the gaskets and put them on asap
Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
infernostripes!

Drives: 2010 1ssrs
The best way to find a exhaust leak is to plug up the tips!