Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Talking another dragstrip newb

I went to the dragstrip tonight for the first time with my SS, and actually the first time ever. I read up a bit on the site today before I decided to go, and things turned out pretty well, although I did feel kind of clueless and nervous in the beginning. It wasn't very busy, so I made about 14 passes (is this bad for my car?). It was a blast, and I talked to a few cool guys there. I was flying solo since the girlfriend was busy, but it probably would've been better if I knew some fellow racers. Anyone in OH wanna meet up at Dragway 42 or Norwalk sometime (maybe in cooler weather)?

OK, so now for the results: my best run was 13.0289 (see slip) but I was pretty consistent at 13-13.2. I was really hoping to break into the 12...soooo close, but not quite.

The slips didn't have the weather conditions on them, but a local station said it was 80-84 F and humidity was around 60%. Track elevation is around 1000 ft.

Anyway, I had a blast! That really gets the blood pumping I want to go back when it's a little cooler. I definitely think I should be in the 12s with my mods and a little more practice.
Attached Images

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Great job!!! Especially for your first outing!!!

The weather was definitely killing you! The DA at the time of your best run was almost 2500'.... so assuming the weather cools down this Fall, your time would be more in the 12.6 to 12.7 range!!

But yes, running in this kind of heat can be very disappointing... but I find that the Drag Times tool fairly accurate in predicting ETs and gives me hope! LOL

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Very Solid...and with 14 passes I'm guessing you're hooked. Also guessing you have an L99. Get that 60' down a tad and you'll be in the 12's even in this weather...
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

E.T. you need to come up to Michigan this Fall... The Mustang guys and the Detroit 5th Gen guys head out to Lapeer the 1st Saturday of November for Scrming's Annual Children of the Corn event! We've had some great grudge racing the last couple of years!!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
E.T.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words Being my first time out, I wasn't sure what to expect and wasn't sure if those times were reasonable for my mods. That DA was definitely not my friend!

I was mainly launching with TC off and ST on. I tried to hold the brake and get the RPMs a little over 1000 right before going, but honestly sometimes it'd seem like the lights would start counting down right after I got staged and there wasn't time to even think.

One other question: burnouts or no on stock Pirellis? One of the guys mentioned that I was doing too much burning out and maybe heating up the tires too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Very Solid...and with 14 passes I'm guessing you're hooked. Also guessing you have an L99. Get that 60' down a tad and you'll be in the 12's even in this weather...
Yep, it was very addicting. Once I started, I kept telling myself "one more time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
E.T. you need to come up to Michigan this Fall... The Mustang guys and the Detroit 5th Gen guys head out to Lapeer the 1st Saturday of November for Scrming's Annual Children of the Corn event! We've had some great grudge racing the last couple of years!!
Cool, that sounds like a blast. Remind me about it when it gets closer if you can

Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Normally you don't do more than a quick clean on street tires but seems the pirellis like to be really heated up and you have to treat them like a drag radial
Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Normally you don't do more than a quick clean on street tires but seems the pirellis like to be really heated up and you have to treat them like a drag radial
OK, thanks, I wasn't sure. I did get a lot of burnout practice, LOL. I probably shortened the life of those rear tires by a couple miles but it's not like I do this every weekend. A couple times, I think they were still smoking when I pulled up to the line and smoke started coming in my window...probably should've rolled it up first.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Nice runs for your first time out.

And the real reason im posting is I grew up going to 42 and Norwalk with my dad. Mostly 42, Norwalk is just too pricey when 42 is right there. Once I go back to Ohio next year I will probably be going to 42 quite a bit during racing season. Maybe try to get the old man back racing.

Sounds like the classic hook, line and sinker for you
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumatic View Post
Nice runs for your first time out.

And the real reason im posting is I grew up going to 42 and Norwalk with my dad. Mostly 42, Norwalk is just too pricey when 42 is right there. Once I go back to Ohio next year I will probably be going to 42 quite a bit during racing season. Maybe try to get the old man back racing.

Sounds like the classic hook, line and sinker for you
Well, I don't have a lot to compare to, but 42 seemed like a nice place and everyone was friendly. Fifteen bucks to run all evening seems like a pretty good deal.

I can see how this can become addicting. I'd probably go more often, but I feel like I'm being really hard on the car. I'm not pushing insane power or anything, so I would think it'd hold up alright.