Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Gbinct
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31
2011 2SS Muffler Delete - Connecticut

I have been listening to dozens of clips on Youtube, and truly like the way the muffler delete sounds. Do I have to purchase equipment to then take to a muffler shop to have this done, or do I simply request the muffler delete?

The most popular I see is the LS3 muffler delete, and I did not know if "LS3" is specific equipment one must purchase.

Much thanks,

Gbinct
Gbinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
geaux_tigerss
 
geaux_tigerss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 545
Just go to any muffler shop and they can do it. You don't need to bring anything but your car and wallet. Haggle.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 CGM Rotofab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa (LS3)
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,397
Just tell em you want the mufflers removed and the tips welded back on. I would also recommend a helmholtz pipe on each side that runs into the empty fender area... It will eliminate your done. Also be ready for the decel popping.
__________________

2G1FS1EWXD9163847





MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Dznyfn
 
Dznyfn's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Just tell em you want the mufflers removed and the tips welded back on. I would also recommend a helmholtz pipe on each side that runs into the empty fender area... It will eliminate your done. Also be ready for the decel popping.
Just had mine done and the drone is crazy bad at 1800-2000 rpm. Sounds great until your inside accelerating.
__________________
Dznyfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 11,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbinct View Post
I have been listening to dozens of clips on Youtube, and truly like the way the muffler delete sounds. Do I have to purchase equipment to then take to a muffler shop to have this done, or do I simply request the muffler delete?

The most popular I see is the LS3 muffler delete, and I did not know if "LS3" is specific equipment one must purchase.

Much thanks,

Gbinct
Before you do anything you should stop by the shop and listen to a few different systems we have, I always have several Gen5s at the shop.

Drone is a major concern and the worse kind of exhaust noise, it's deafening, annoying, and Fatiguing.

Ted.
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Gbinct
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31
Thank you for the advice everyone - and for the insight Ted. I talked to a local and highly reputable exhaust place local to Middletown, and they advised against a muffler delete today. I was told that my check engine lights would come on, and I would have a plethora of other troubles. Is there truth to this?

I would like to improve the exhaust/sound, without breaking the bank.

Thanks again!
Gbinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 11,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbinct View Post
Thank you for the advice everyone - and for the insight Ted. I talked to a local and highly reputable exhaust place local to Middletown, and they advised against a muffler delete today. I was told that my check engine lights would come on, and I would have a plethora of other troubles. Is there truth to this?

I would like to improve the exhaust/sound, without breaking the bank.

Thanks again!
RUN, RUN FAST, they have no Idea what they are talking about, Verbal Diarrhea.

Ted.
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
2012InfernoSS

 
2012InfernoSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/2012 SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 844
I cut my mufflers out and had straight pipe put in and ive got vary little drone at around 1800rpm.. Love start up sound, like it all around really. Im a m6 tho.. ive heard the auto it sounds nasty and is not recommended..
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
MikeOD

 
Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Windsor, CT
Posts: 1,194
You guys would all HATE my car lol...it drones a lot.

OP, if your car is a stick shift, the stock mufflers aren't really mufflers anyways, they're just a J pipe and a through pipe inside the big suitcases...you can make the car weigh a bit less with a new exhaust, and change the tone quite a bit with different or no mufflers though. What part of CT are you in? You're welcome to hear my car some time to give you another opinion (Kooks, 3" duals, X and Dynomax Bullets...it's LOUD)...I drive to Windsor CT almost daily...and almost everywhere else in CT randomly.

I need to swing by your shop some time Ted, soon as the new revised NW102 throttle bodies are out I'll be in to buy one.
__________________

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
black79ta
 
black79ta's Avatar
 
Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: missouri
Posts: 519
I have the flowmaster AT without the mufflers. Sounds great but shrieks around 3000rpm. Also if the Windows are up the shrieking around 3000, is loud
__________________

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #11
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,397
I know i posted once in here already about this but here is the link to the thread about helmholtz... Lots of reading and if anything its very informative on exhaust sound.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102075
__________________

2G1FS1EWXD9163847





MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #12
geaux_tigerss
 
geaux_tigerss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbinct View Post
Thank you for the advice everyone - and for the insight Ted. I talked to a local and highly reputable exhaust place local to Middletown, and they advised against a muffler delete today. I was told that my check engine lights would come on, and I would have a plethora of other troubles. Is there truth to this?

I would like to improve the exhaust/sound, without breaking the bank.

Thanks again!
Haha they told you this so they could sell you some mufflers. They are at best incompetent and at worst liars. Find another shop. I know where I would be going if I lived in CT...
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 CGM Rotofab CAI, Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa (LS3)
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
NashSS
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 8
I bought my SS used with 25,000 miles and the guy had already done the muffler delete. The car runs great, sounds great and I don't know what kind of drone you guys are talking about. I highly recommend the the muffler delete.
NashSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 11,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
You guys would all HATE my car lol...it drones a lot.

OP, if your car is a stick shift, the stock mufflers aren't really mufflers anyways, they're just a J pipe and a through pipe inside the big suitcases...you can make the car weigh a bit less with a new exhaust, and change the tone quite a bit with different or no mufflers though. What part of CT are you in? You're welcome to hear my car some time to give you another opinion (Kooks, 3" duals, X and Dynomax Bullets...it's LOUD)...I drive to Windsor CT almost daily...and almost everywhere else in CT randomly.

I need to swing by your shop some time Ted, soon as the new revised NW102 throttle bodies are out I'll be in to buy one.
If you are NA you need a Regular NW102, it is not until over 700 RWHP that you will need the Version 2
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.