Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #222
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #223
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Here's some random pictures..






__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #224
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
And a little fact for today, when the RS-25 (SSME) ignites, it actually bends from the huge amount of power coming from the engines.

__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #225
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
And here is a tribute to all 6 Space Shuttle Orbiters made by NASA celebrating Kennedy Space Centers 50th anniversary.

__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #226
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Here's another favorite of mine Jordy.
There really are some amazing pictures in here!

Awesome Photo...question for overflow though regarding the picture. Is the fact that there is still a bright light coming from the place of take off a time elapsed camera effect or is there something from launch pad and the entire jetstream (probably not the correct term) that is still causing illumination like that even though the shuttle is so far away?? Hopefully that makes sense!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #227
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Awesome Photo...question for overflow though regarding the picture. Is the fact that there is still a bright light coming from the place of take off a time elapsed camera effect or is there something from launch pad and the entire jetstream (probably not the correct term) that is still causing illumination like that even though the shuttle is so far away?? Hopefully that makes sense!
That shot is a combination of many shots taken during the launch in the same spot. So no, the stream of flames is not that long. But it is really that bright the entire way. It only looks dim at the top because the shuttle is already many miles away. I hope that makes sense!
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #228
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
That shot is a combination of many shots taken during the launch in the same spot. So no, the stream of flames is not that long. But it is really that bright the entire way. It only looks dim at the top because the shuttle is already many miles away. I hope that makes sense!
Makes perfect sense to me, thats what I figured but since I have never seen one in person I was not sure, thanks! I am going to have to put this on my bucketlist, they still do shuttle launches like this, right?? I do not follow NASA at all, and barely ever watch the news (to much negativity for me) but I thought I heard rumors a few years ago about no more launches or something?? Maybe that was just for exploratory agendas or something, I have no idea.

Either way, if they still are launching these bad boys, I would love to experience seeing one in person!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #229
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 33,697
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Shuttle program is dead, unfortunately. All the orbiters are decommissioned and heading to various facilities for display.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #230
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Makes perfect sense to me, thats what I figured but since I have never seen one in person I was not sure, thanks! I am going to have to put this on my bucketlist, they still do shuttle launches like this, right?? I do not follow NASA at all, and barely ever watch the news (to much negativity for me) but I thought I heard rumors a few years ago about no more launches or something?? Maybe that was just for exploratory agendas or something, I have no idea.

Either way, if they still are launching these bad boys, I would love to experience seeing one in person!
The Space Shuttle program was retired over a year ago. The last launch was July 8th, 2011.

Space Shuttle Enterprise arrived at her permenent retirement home on the Intrepid in New York City a couple months ago for permenent display.

Space Shuttle Discovery has been at the National Air and Space Museum (Permanent retirement home) since April 2012.

Space Shuttle Atlantis rolls over to her permanent retirement home at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex on November 2.

And Space Shuttle Endeavour flies to Los Angeles September 20th-21st for her permanent retirement home at the California Science Center.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #231
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
The Space Shuttle program was retired over a year ago. The last launch was July 8th, 2011.

And Space Shuttle Endeavour flies to Los Angeles September 20th-21st for her permanent retirement home at the California Science Center.
Well damn!

By "flying" to LA, do you mean transported or its actually launching and flying there, sorry for my ignorance to this stuff.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #232
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Well damn!

By "flying" to LA, do you mean transported or its actually launching and flying there, sorry for my ignorance to this stuff.
Technically, the shuttle could launch into orbit , circle the Earth a couple times, then land at LAX (Ignoring the massive waste of rocket fuel and money that would be). But the Shuttles have already been gutted, and can never fly on their own again.

Each shuttle must take a "piggy back" ride on one of NASA's specially modified 747 aircraft, just like it did after landing in California on some missions.







__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #233
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,666
That is insane!! I have never seen that before and at first thought you were joking!

What, is rocket fuel expensive or something? LOL, Just kiding of course, I am not that ignorant to space travel LOL. Thanks for the education!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #234
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
That is insane!! I have never seen that before and at first thought you were joking!

What, is rocket fuel expensive or something? LOL, Just kiding of course, I am not that ignorant to space travel LOL. Thanks for the education!
It is quite a sight to behold! Seeing two planes attached.

No problem!
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #235
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
In other NASA news today..

NASA's Curiosity Rover is set to land on Mars in 5 days. It is scheduled to land at 5:31 UTC on August 6th. Curiosity is the size of a car, and NASA's biggest Mars Rover yet.



Curiosity was launched by NASA November 26th, 2011. The rover's objectives include determining Mars' habitability, studying the Martian climate, studying Martian geology, and collecting data for a future manned mission to Mars.

The Mars Science Laboratory mission is part of NASA's Mars Exploration Program, a long-term effort for the robotic exploration of Mars, and the project is managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of California Institute of Technology. When MSL launched, the program's director was Doug McCuistion of NASA's Planetary Science Division. The total cost of the MSL project is about US$2.5 billion.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #236
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Heat shield installation continues on Endeavour.


__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #237
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: The BUFF
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 29,716
Now on Google Street View, you can practically visit the Kennedy Space Center!

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/video...a_id=149631771
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #238
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 33,697
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65


__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.